Author Topic: DAS Keyboard 4  (Read 30356 times)

Offline dante

Re: DAS Keyboard 4
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 07:40:02 »
The backplate says made in China.

Now unless the ultimate version is still made in taiwan, I guess that's it for Costar Das Keyboards

Nice catch!

Offline Xrayz0r

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 10:17:11 »
The backplate says made in China.

Now unless the ultimate version is still made in taiwan, I guess that's it for Costar Das Keyboards

Nice catch!

If it's true that even the ultimate version isn't made by Costar this time, I'm fairly sure high end users won't be convinced by some dedicated media buttons and a ruler. Will they? Sure the general public doesn't care (as much), but they won't be buying the ultimate anyways.

I'm definitely buying this keyboard. I want one ASAP, in fact it was this news that prevented me from actually seriously ordering a CM quickfire XT yesterday. I was right in the middle of filling out the form, when the email from Das Keyboard came in. I'm now getting the Das, probably before anyone reviews it. I'm just a little worried it might suck
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 March 2014, 10:19:15 by Xrayz0r »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 10:34:03 »
I'll probably end up getting one, it just looks too damn sexy (plus dat USB 3 hub).

Gonna wait for a review to pop up here though.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 12:22:08 »
If it's made in china.... I will not be buying one.. General public doesn't really care.

Offline Nixietube

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 12:41:31 »
i really dislike the non mechanical function keys.

Offline wharrislv

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 14:11:04 »
I had my infant son rip the stem off one of my switches on a das about a year ago.  It was my first "high end" mechanical keyboard since the old days of having focus 2001s at work in the 90s.  They have no repair service.  If you want, they can sell you a refurbished board for $30 off their retail price, as long as you send them your old board back(LOL!), that is their only repair option.  I repaired the switch and sold the das it irritated me so much.
Current daily drivers : HHKB Pro 2, HHKB Lite in a server rack, A few Filco numpads in brown and blue, Pure Pro in Brown with Rainbow PBT, CM Ninja in Brown with white engaved PBTs, two Model Ms 89 and 91 with a few red esc, Ergodox full in clear with blanks, a jdcarpe built 40% awaiting some Round 6 keycaps, and soon a Gon custom.  Hundreds more on site at a mechanical friendly work site where I am the purchaser.  If it exists, I probably have used one!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 15:53:47 »
is this now the lowest z height board?

nowhere near, especially with that foot. I think the bevel on the bottom is added height as well.

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 05:34:42 »
TKL and Topre Fanboi Association (TTFA)

Hahaha! I'm card carrying member.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 16:12:04 »
TKL and Topre Fanboi Association (TTFA)

Hahaha! I'm card carrying member.

Never mind the card - I'm a keyboard carrying member :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Xrayz0r

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 02:38:36 »
I emailed Das Keyboard and they told me the ultimate version will still be made in Taiwan. Now, as you could expect, they assured me that the quality of the chinese manufacturers is on par.

I don't know... on the one hand I want printed keycaps, but I don't want to end up in the pissed off customer 1-star review list on Amazon.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 07:38:55 »
If it has a standard layout, you can always get an aftermarket set. After all, those OEM keycaps have a tradition of being crap.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 08:36:19 »
I emailed Das Keyboard and they told me the ultimate version will still be made in Taiwan. Now, as you could expect, they assured me that the quality of the chinese manufacturers is on par.

I don't know... on the one hand I want printed keycaps, but I don't want to end up in the pissed off customer 1-star review list on Amazon.

I find this a bit surprising because the Ultimate made in Taiwan because it has different bottom row (no FN key).  So it was kind of a different keyboard.

But now they're practically identical I wonder why they built them in difference places.

However that's still good news for us.  :)

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 10:36:17 »
Looks like a beauty, also not sure if it's worth the price tag, I'd like to grab this or the code mx clear, I'll see when April rolls around.
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 13:46:40 »
This looks amazing I must say. I prefer TKL so I will probably pass, but design wise it looks great.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 17:53:30 »
Darth Vader will not approve this one... But I think it is a good thing :-)

I like the new design too.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Xrayz0r

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 04:37:08 »
PC mag has already reviewed it. As I suspected, the ruler just comes across as lame.

If you're gonna do something totally random and arbitrary, the usefulness should at least outweigh the randomness, or you'll leave people wondering what's the point. Sorta like Ockham's Razer, don't randomly make something up unless you need it.

Why invest the extra cost (even if it is slight) if you can use that money to improve some other aspect of the keyboard. Make a higher quality sleeve for the cable, the plastic is hideous and totally unflexible. Make it detachable with a usb plug, anything. I can buy a ruler myself, for 20 cents, one that does not have an annoying thick triangular shape, and does not have the consequence of losing the tilt function of my keyboard if it happens to get lost.

Don't worry, I'm still buying the keyboard, it just pisses me off that some pretentious dumbass at a Das Keyboard meeting, trying to be different for the sake of being different, is responsible for the stupid tilt function on my keyboard.

Sorry for ranting
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 March 2014, 09:00:04 by Xrayz0r »

Offline tbc

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 05:08:21 »
i don't think anyone who actually wants the tilt is actually going to use it as a ruler.  it's for people who don't want the tilt.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 06:26:56 »
Sorta like Ockham's Razer, don't randomly make something up unless you need it.

I see what you did there...

Offline Xrayz0r

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 09:39:33 »

I de-metaphysicized ockhams razor. Quite awesome

i don't think anyone who actually wants the tilt is actually going to use it as a ruler.  it's for people who don't want the tilt

Exactly. So let's say you want it flat, you don't want the tilt. Would you prefer the complete randomness of having an extra ruler around, or would you prefer a higher quality cable sleeve?

"We got tired of those itty bitty plastic keyboard feet. They are fragile and typical." - Das Keyboard

Having a standard 104 layout is typical, what's wrong with typical? Might as well ditch scroll lock and pauze, as they are both typical and nobody uses them (correct me if I'm wrong). Put a pencil sharpener in their place.
As for fragile, you don't have to make them plastic. Make metal ones with rubber coating. I'd seriously pay 10 extra for metal feet that "click" into place, and don't slide around my desk.
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 March 2014, 09:46:42 by Xrayz0r »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 10:13:04 »
Having a standard 104 layout is typical, what's wrong with typical?

EHMAGERD ERGODOX

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 10:16:20 »
Quality cable sleeves is something you notice when you open a New In Box toy.

Something that might also crosses your mind when you try to run the cable in the built-in cable management cracks (if the DAS 4 has some, I don't know)
Detachable is not an important feature for most full size keyboard users as they are not likely to move around as smaller keyboards do.

We could also argue that the volume nob on a wired keyboard is pretty useless.

"As for fragile, you don't have to make them plastic. Make metal ones with rubber coating. I'd seriously pay 10 extra for metal feet that "click" into place, and don't slide around my desk. "

Agreed!!!
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Mooby

• Funployee
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 10:57:24 »
I like volume wheels. But I also like slim cases. If they would sell the volume wheel seperately I'd totaly buy it.

Offline tbc

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 13:46:43 »

I de-metaphysicized ockhams razor. Quite awesome

i don't think anyone who actually wants the tilt is actually going to use it as a ruler.  it's for people who don't want the tilt

Exactly. So let's say you want it flat, you don't want the tilt. Would you prefer the complete randomness of having an extra ruler around, or would you prefer a higher quality cable sleeve?

"We got tired of those itty bitty plastic keyboard feet. They are fragile and typical." - Das Keyboard

Having a standard 104 layout is typical, what's wrong with typical? Might as well ditch scroll lock and pauze, as they are both typical and nobody uses them (correct me if I'm wrong). Put a pencil sharpener in their place.
As for fragile, you don't have to make them plastic. Make metal ones with rubber coating. I'd seriously pay 10 extra for metal feet that "click" into place, and don't slide around my desk.

i would just put it back inside the box like i do with extra accessories now.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 17:44:40 »
I use pause/break all the time. Scroll Lock is about the only key I wouldn't miss.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 30 March 2014, 17:54:59 »

This is Geekhack, where invisible gold springs in your switches make you type faster.  Just keep that in mind.  The concept of fun makes a lot of things "worth it".
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Xrayz0r

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 01:50:18 »
I use pause/break all the time. Scroll Lock is about the only key I wouldn't miss.

Still enough for a pencil sharpener.

By the way, what applications still use pause?

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 02:08:16 »
Starcraft 2

Offline Lodestar

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 06:28:44 »
Damn... Just bought the Das keyboard ultimate S a month ago and this comes out, thought there was a reason why it was the last one but does anyone here think it is possible to change out the switches with green switches and make a custom braided usb cable?

Offline Flossed

• Hai
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 09:23:04 »
That price point is a huge turnoff... :eek:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 09:32:22 »
Looking nice and sleek, the new finishing will take the finger print magnet out of the equation. But it is way too expensive.  :(

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 10:27:21 »

Win+Pause : System Properties
Control+Pause : Interrupt Visual Studio Build

I use both of those a lot more than you'd think.

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 10:31:25 »
We want tkl!

Offline QuadGMoto

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 13:12:47 »
This is Geekhack, where invisible gold springs in your switches make you type faster.  Just keep that in mind.  The concept of fun makes a lot of things "worth it".

That's funny, I thought it was to prevent corrosion so the switch would last longer. But I'll just have to settle for the 'fun' quotient.
 :p

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 15:00:15 »

Win+Pause : System Properties
Control+Pause : Interrupt Visual Studio Build

You can also use it as another key for AHK or something.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 16:00:36 »
A review is up here:

However be warned you might get a bit annoyed watching this video.  This guy handles a $169 keyboard as if it was $5.  It's like come on you spend good money on it can't you be a bit more gentle and pretend you cherish it?

Also if you're gonna do a review maybe a little bit of research before hand would be nice.  For one he didn't know why Das gives the option to enable/disable NKRO.  He also doesn't know the new logo on the window key are actually Das' new logo.

And as he was opening the package he was ripping through that foam wrap, you know there's opening at the top you can just take it out without ripping it?

Okay maybe I'm too harsh on him.  My OCD is coming through.  >_____>

Though if I wasn't so picky maybe I wouldn't be on geekhack.  :p
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 April 2014, 18:32:23 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline divito

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 19:32:06 »
However be warned you might get a bit annoyed watching this video.  This guy handles a $169 keyboard as if it was $5.  It's like come on you spend good money on it can't you be a bit more gentle and pretend you cherish it?

Also if you're gonna do a review maybe a little bit of research before hand would be nice.  For one he didn't know why Das gives the option to enable/disable NKRO.  He also doesn't know the new logo on the window key are actually Das' new logo.

And as he was opening the package he was ripping through that foam wrap, you know there's opening at the top you can just take it out without ripping it?

I wouldn't say you're being too harsh, though he openly admits that his videos are mainly just a hobby; he's not really after subscribers or views or anything like other Youtube personalities.

I came across his videos last week, and while some aspects of his videos are cringe-worthy, I'd say that the people that find/watch his videos are at a much lower level in any type of technology capacity. And for some topics, he is quite knowledgeable, enough that some oversights can be expected.

Seeing the actual product through this video does make it more tempting if I move back to a full-size. Wouldn't mind adding another Das to my collection and occasional usage, especially with the new features.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 20:51:41 »
Hmmm... I kind of want... It seems too slim, and too flat compared to my ducky...

Offline Danoob1337

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 21:25:12 »
Its $180 (canadian) so i dont know about it but the people who liked the volume wheel on the k70 are going to like this even more. Personally i was hoping metadot came out with a $100 tenkeyless (i just bought a quickfire stealth for $70)

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 23:55:14 »
Also if you're gonna do a review maybe a little bit of research before hand would be nice.  For one he didn't know why Das gives the option to enable/disable NKRO.

Why does Das do that? Forgive my ignorance, don't usually pay attention to this stuff.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 01 April 2014, 23:57:58 »
Also if you're gonna do a review maybe a little bit of research before hand would be nice.  For one he didn't know why Das gives the option to enable/disable NKRO.

Why does Das do that? Forgive my ignorance, don't usually pay attention to this stuff.

Most keyboards that "support" NKRO aren't truly NKRO, and combine two "virtual" keyboards into one.

When you have NKRO enabled, your keyboard is unresponsive under BIOS.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline boradori007

• I'm trippin bear balls.
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 00:02:41 »
Looks better I guess but not a fan of DAS

Offline Xrayz0r

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 12:06:58 »
A review is up here:

I agree, I was complaining about the same thing yesterday. I appreciate the review and everything, but it's almost like he doesn't care. He finds out about the ruler, the "symbol" (which can be found right next to the brand name) and the aluminium surface DURING the review, which is amazing. I don't see how that can happen if you take your review (and the company that saw fit to send you a model pre-launch) seriously.

/out of proportion rant

I still don't understand the obscene price point when the keycaps are still low quality plastic. How does that work? Especially since we get a magnet without asking for one..

Offline Hyde

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 10:09:55 »
^  lol I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks this way.  I started to wonder if I'm just overly picky.

It's like you said, I'm glad he's the first to do a review, but just.... yeah....

Oh and I watched the video again omg he was comparing the Das Keyboard to the "Cooler Master CM Storm Keyboard".  You know CM Storm is just Cooler Master's gaming brand right.... and that model is actually CM Storm MECH.

Okay I'll stop picking on him now.  I guess he did say he was sick, so I'll leave it at that.

As for the pricing, maybe Das figures that adding the aluminum top plate and volumn knob is justifiable to the increase in price.  Then again Corsair K70 is like $130 and Mac Keyboard is like $55 both has aluminum finish so I don't know.

Otherwise that keyboard is indeed pretty nice.

Offline Demetrium

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 15:47:16 »
I want one of these! I have Das browns at work and blues at home. Maybe it's time for reds!

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 16:06:41 »
No MX Red, No buy.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline Hyde

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 18:00:49 »
^  Maybe they'll come out with the "Quiet" version later.

Just gotta wait a bit also depending on your preference you might have to leave/take out the o-rings.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 18:22:46 »
^  Maybe they'll come out with the "Quiet" version later.

Just gotta wait a bit also depending on your preference you might have to leave/take out the o-rings.

Brown is the quiet version, isn't it?

In contradistinction to blues, being the "noisy" version.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hyde

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 23:59:50 »
I think brown was the "silent" version before and red is the "quiet" version.

Now I believe blue is "clicky", brown is "soft tactile" and red is "quiet".

Yeah it's a bit confusing I don't know why they can't just say MX Brown and MX Red.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 00:40:22 »
I think brown was the "silent" version before and red is the "quiet" version.

Now I believe blue is "clicky", brown is "soft tactile" and red is "quiet".

Yeah it's a bit confusing I don't know why they can't just say MX Brown and MX Red.

yup, that is confusing. That is what happens when the marketing department of das is going to "apeal to a larger market".
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 01:06:24 »
i really dislike the non mechanical function keys.

Non mechanical function keys?  :confused:
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More