Author Topic: Ergodox column problem  (Read 1691 times)

Offline alinh

Ergodox column problem
« on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 15:11:44 »
Hello,

So I used this ErgoDox for 1 week and it worked great. All of a sudden a single key press would trigger the whole row.

It turns out that for the the whole column a single key press would trigger the key's respective row.

Example (qwerty) : h would trigger the hjkl; keys.

The affected keys are : 6,y,h,n and the 1u thumb key closest to the main keys (above the 2u key) so basically sw0:5, sw2:5, sw3:5, sw4:5, sw5:5 on the right side.

sw0:5 triggers the whole thumb cluster (sw0:1, sw0:4, sw0:5,sw0:6 and sw1:5,sw1:6)
sw2:5 triggers row 2
sw3:5 triggers row 3
sw4:5 triggers row 4
sw5:5 triggers row 5

This doesn't happen *all* the time; it seems to be triggered if I hold down one of the culprit keys. It still doesn this after unplugging and replugging the USB cable. It does this with the righthand only connected. It seems that after 0.5-1min it clears only to appear again. I checked all the diodes and they seem OK.

This behavior was also observed while building the ErgoDox : I soldered the diodes and "wire-jumped" the switch contacts on the PCB. After soldering the switches all keys would only generate their own presses.

I closely checked the PCB and I found that close to the teensy slot the Row 5 trace was a bit weird (like the paint on the PCB was coming off). I seem to have cut the row5 trace just by *slightly* touching that area; row 5 stopped working. I ran a wire from the closest contact of row 5 to the teensy pin so now Row 5 works again. Not sure if something similar would affect a whole column, but I'm not that great at electronics. I have a crappy multimeter, just don't know what to test.

a pic that may help :

http://imgur.com/vlSvG6V

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Ergodox column problem
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 20:47:08 »
I'm not sure how that picture helps, but it's definitely something wrong with your matrix. At first I thought it was grounding to (say) an aluminium case, but now I'm not sure.

Offline alinh

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 03:30:35 »
There's no Al component in the case.

The keyboard worked for ~10days ..

Maybe this pic will describe the problem better :

http://imgur.com/52QnjBN

Now the whole column works, but if I keep pressed one of the marked keys (so it generates 100+ characters) it starts acting up. Seems that unplugging/replugging does nothing to make the problem disappear. Waiting for 1-2 minutes clears it.

all the marked keys are part of the same column which connects to the same teensy pin.

Offline peonpeon

+
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 12:53:29 »
i same thing is happening to me.

It happened once before with the entire 3edc column in the left hand.
I thought it was a soldering problem so i cleaned it up and retested the pins (didn't find shorts or anything obvious).  I had this weird reflashing issue with the teensy- flashing the blink program worked fine, but the keyboard program didn't work.  I messed around with the usb connector and somehow it started flashing again.

Everything seemed to work fine for a day and suddenly, 10 minutes ago I'm experiencing the same issue.

Did you manage to figure out what it was?

Offline peonpeon

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 12:59:01 »
double post .... ugh it messed up again and it accidentally mashed the post button.
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 April 2014, 14:41:19 by peonpeon »