Author Topic: Keycool 87 full backlit with Kailh Switches  (Read 12062 times)

Offline xuanwumen

• * Commercial Vendor
    • EZKB
Keycool 87 full backlit with Kailh Switches
« on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 07:40:36 »
Keycool released its first keyboards with Kailh switches. Keycool choose the 87 version with full white backlights.
NIZ KEYBOARDS VENDOR

Offline mougrim

Re: Keycool 87 full backlit with Kailh Switches
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 10:58:36 »
Hmmm.. nice tenkeyless one. although, Kailh...
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 12:26:51 »
AAAAANND I hate KC now

KC quality is extremely good for the price. But there's no way I want to use "MX Compatible" switches of that quality

Offline mougrim

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 12:28:19 »
AAAAANND I hate KC now

KC quality is extremely good for the price. But there's no way I want to use "MX Compatible" switches of that quality

Yep. This is one good looking keyboard, but Kailh... Meh.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline MiBe

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 12:39:36 »
Have to agree with the earlier repliers. I think Keycool had quite a good image, at least for the price. Now that they are using clone switches that image could be damaged. Let's at least hope that they communicate clearly that these keyboards don't have Cherry MX switches.
IBM Model M 1391401 (Bucking Spring / PBT keycaps) || Dell AT101W (Black Alps / PBT keycaps || Filco Majestouch 2 (MX Brown / PBT keycaps) || Ducky Shine 3 (MX Blue / Magenta LED / PBT keycaps) || KBP V60 Mini (MX Green / Blue & Green LED / PBT keycaps) || Keycool 84 White (MX Black / PBT keycaps) || Razer BlackWidow Chroma Stealth (Razer Orange / RGB LED / ABS keycaps) || SteelSeries 6Gv2 (MX Red / ABS keycaps)

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 13:10:08 »
I get the assumption that Kailh is bad, but I haven't seen much in the way of actual hands-on about them.

Not that I care particularly either way.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 13:12:55 »
I get the assumption that Kailh is bad, but I haven't seen much in the way of actual hands-on about them.

their stems break like crazy

Offline morpheus

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 13:21:07 »
I keep thinking it's pronounced, KALIH, instead of KAILH.

It just sounds better to me.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 16:10:14 »
I pronounce it kale.

That in particular would only matter if caps keep getting removed all the time. A regular user may never remove caps.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 16:16:21 »
Keycool has been making keyboards with Kalih switches for a long time now. The first Kalih board I typed on was a keycool, and this was a few months ago.

They'll probably keep making boards with genuine MX switches, too.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 17:08:54 »
I pronounce it kale.

That in particular would only matter if caps keep getting removed all the time. A regular user may never remove caps.

when hit off center they will break too

true some cherrys do this but I've seen that the knockoffs occur more often

Offline pasph

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 29 March 2014, 17:30:51 »
Price?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline xuanwumen

• * Commercial Vendor
    • EZKB
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 05:37:13 »
Thanks guys for all the comments and opinions.

They're helpful to keycool company.
Will forward it to keycool sales people.
NIZ KEYBOARDS VENDOR

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 12:21:16 »

They built a bad rep for themselves. go check out all the critical reviews of kailh switches online. I don't think any keyboard with kailh can expect to survive 2-3 years. It's built for a quick product cycle and gamers who want a change of theme every year or so.

I think Keycool did the right thing, though. The Chinese domestic market is significantly poorer than that in developed countries. Now they're really making pretty mechanical keyboards available to poor Chinese kids making like USD 250/month. Not lasting, but the kids are like us and want to change their keyboards as often as they change sneakers also, so everyone is happy. I don't think we should be buying Keycool anymore, but I really wish them well from the bottom of my heart. I also believe that with the years, Kailh WILL improve its product because as Chinese get richer they will demand better quality.

As the experiences of many other Asian auto companies have shown, within 20 years, Kailh will be producing switches on par with Cherry simply because its domestic market has gotten richer and more discerning.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 14:42:15 »

They built a bad rep for themselves. go check out all the critical reviews of kailh switches online. I don't think any keyboard with kailh can expect to survive 2-3 years. It's built for a quick product cycle and gamers who want a change of theme every year or so.

I think Keycool did the right thing, though. The Chinese domestic market is significantly poorer than that in developed countries. Now they're really making pretty mechanical keyboards available to poor Chinese kids making like USD 250/month. Not lasting, but the kids are like us and want to change their keyboards as often as they change sneakers also, so everyone is happy. I don't think we should be buying Keycool anymore, but I really wish them well from the bottom of my heart. I also believe that with the years, Kailh WILL improve its product because as Chinese get richer they will demand better quality.

As the experiences of many other Asian auto companies have shown, within 20 years, Kailh will be producing switches on par with Cherry simply because its domestic market has gotten richer and more discerning.

I'm just curious...how much of the bad reputation of Kailh is based on earlier generations of the switch, like the yellows (the first to appear) or the heavy reds/linear blues (second generation)? Are there any pictures showing stem breakage on current-generation Kailhs?
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline mougrim

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 15:04:44 »

I'm just curious...how much of the bad reputation of Kailh is based on earlier generations of the switch, like the yellows (the first to appear) or the heavy reds/linear blues (second generation)? Are there any pictures showing stem breakage on current-generation Kailhs?

It's hard to build a good reputation and easy to lose it. So even if current generation Kailh switches aren't breaking...

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 17:14:00 »

Can you back that up please ? I've seen exactly one picture of a snapped yellow Kailh switch (1st gen) so far. They are at least at gen 3 w/ their line and I doubt that any potential material problems didn't get addressed (if there where any to begin w/.) Before even considering to get a board w/ these switches I'd like to know if they really "break like crazy".
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 April 2014, 17:16:55 by Grendel »
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 21:12:59 »

Can you back that up please ? I've seen exactly one picture of a snapped yellow Kailh switch (1st gen) so far. They are at least at gen 3 w/ their line and I doubt that any potential material problems didn't get addressed (if there where any to begin w/.) Before even considering to get a board w/ these switches I'd like to know if they really "break like crazy".

Rather than asking other people to defend a company, why don't you do your google homework?

http://www.amazon.com/Azio-Levetron-Mechanical-Keyboard-KB528U/dp/B008CXTW42
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00A8LPN3U/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

But the best reviewer is yourself. Go buy one, it's cheaper. Review it here. We'll all be happy.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 22:13:29 »

Rather than asking other people to defend a company, why don't you do your google homework?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00A8LPN3U/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

But the best reviewer is yourself. Go buy one, it's cheaper. Review it here. We'll all be happy.

Neither of those use Kailh switches...

Levetron Clicker is part of the Tai Hao family...I believe it's running ALPS-style switches of some description.

K400G looks like a rubber dome...the K500 is their Kailh board (incidentally, I'm not sure if the K500 switches are even the same as modern Kailhs in terms of quality, since it's from a previous "wave" of Kailh boards that predates the current crop).

Interestingly, TT's Poseidon Z with Kailh switches is currently the #1 result, sorted by Best Rating, on Newegg for "mechanical keyboard". Of course, this could just mean that they haven't been in the wild long enough to break...this latest wave of Kailhs may prove to be just as bad as the yellows. Or maybe not. I need more new information, and less echoing of old information over and over. :-(
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 01:14:25 »

I was just asking for a source to back that claim, nothing more. My own search was inconclusive.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 April 2014, 01:17:44 by Grendel »
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline mougrim

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 03:30:55 »
Well... when there are those rumors around, not exactly many people willing to even try potentially defective product. Even if it ALREADY good.

Offline xuanwumen

• * Commercial Vendor
    • EZKB
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 06:13:02 »

It is a hard decision for keycool to turn to some kailh switches. The production capacity of cherry company is so limited that most Asian companies unable to get them. Not only keycool, noppoo is also making their own switches and i may get some Noppoo keyboards with noppoo switches in May.

Now only some stocks of keyboards with cherry switches are for sale.
After the stock is out, do not know when to restock.

I will update some comments by Chinese users after the kailh switches keyboards are used in CHina.
Anyway, all the impressions about Kailh are assumptions based on their first gen of yellow switch.

Let's see how the new versions work out.
NIZ KEYBOARDS VENDOR

Offline mougrim

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 06:20:35 »

It is a hard decision for keycool to turn to some kailh switches. The production capacity of cherry company is so limited that most Asian companies unable to get them. Not only keycool, noppoo is also making their own switches and i may get some Noppoo keyboards with noppoo switches in May.

I will update some comments by Chinese users after the kailh switches keyboards are used in CHina.
Anyway, all the impressions about Kailh are assumptions based on their first gen of yellow switch.

Ah, so it's just under-supply, is it? Figures. Chinese mechanical keyboard market is growing, so demand must be much higher then Cherry supply, and I bet companies like Filco get first dibs on Cherry switches.

But when you'll get first responses from Chinese users of Keycool boards with Kailh switches, I'd like to see them. I'm perfectly willing to try new things from time to time.

Oh, and how much this keyboard costs? In USD, preferably.

Offline xuanwumen

• * Commercial Vendor
    • EZKB
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 06:58:56 »

Ah, so it's just under-supply, is it? Figures. Chinese mechanical keyboard market is growing, so demand must be much higher then Cherry supply, and I bet companies like Filco get first dibs on Cherry switches.

But when you'll get first responses from Chinese users of Keycool boards with Kailh switches, I'd like to see them. I'm perfectly willing to try new things from time to time.

Sorry, i did not make it clear. This keyboard is already on market in China, just about 1 week before.
The price, just for your interest, is around $75 plus shipping. And they offer a full set of 87- key blank keys for this LED keyboard.

Just to mention this is not specific sales ads, so that the moderators do not catch me. :p :p
NIZ KEYBOARDS VENDOR

Offline mougrim

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 07:20:30 »

Sorry, i did not make it clear. This keyboard is already on market in China, just about 1 week before.
The price, just for your interest, is around $75 plus shipping. And they offer a full set of 87- key blank keys for this LED keyboard.

Just to mention this is not specific sales ads, so that the moderators do not catch me. :p :p

Hmm... 75 bucks for full backlighted Tenkeyless board? Not bad. And caps material - is it ABS? Or PBT?

Currently I have all keyboards I need (but not all I want!) but my friend was searching for backlighted mechanical board... maybe I'll try this particular one on him :)

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 11:29:03 »

Xuanwumen, while I would like Chinese stuff to get better and follow the examples of Japanese and Korean products, I have a low level of confidence in this respect.

In the 1970s people in Singapore were getting poisoned by Chinese foods.

Now we are still getting poisoned by Chinese foods.

After drinking Yili brand melamine milk in 2008 (and feeding some to the kids too), I got fed up and banned all Chinese food from the household. This is my Great Firewall against poisonous substances masquerading as food. Now that Chinese food products have been 'harmonized' away from my home, we are happily consuming Greek olives and Norway salmon and Indian onions. Even our mu'er (black fungus) is from Thailand and our pu'er cha is from Indonesia.

Unfortunately my father is still consuming Chinese river crabs every night when he turns on that vomit-worthy CCTV4. Everytime there is a cultural show (eg during this year's Chinese New Year TV Specials), and some singer sings a song with the lyrics changed to 'I love the Party' or 'The Party Takes Care of All', I want to vomit. These things poison the brain.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 14:49:25 »
Xuanwumen, while I would like Chinese stuff to get better and follow the examples of Japanese and Korean products, I have a low level of confidence in this respect.

After drinking Yili brand melamine milk in 2008 (and feeding some to the kids too), I got fed up and banned all Chinese food from the household. This is my Great Firewall against poisonous substances masquerading as food. Now that Chinese food products have been 'harmonized' away from my home, we are happily consuming Greek olives and Norway salmon and Indian onions. Even our mu'er (black fungus) is from Thailand and our pu'er cha is from Indonesia.

Unfortunately my father is still consuming Chinese river crabs every night when he turns on that vomit-worthy CCTV4. Everytime there is a cultural show (eg during this year's Chinese New Year TV Specials), and some singer sings a song with the lyrics changed to 'I love the Party' or 'The Party Takes Care of All', I want to vomit. These things poison the brain.

Well, I quite like Chinese tea - oolong and puehr. Never ever heard someone was poisoned by tea. Well...In our country people get poisoned by bad vodka far more often :) So I think at least tea from Chuna is already good. Not all, of course... but I buy from company, which buys good tea by bulk.

And, to be honest, electronics is already pretty decent too - if you're ain't buying it by kilogrammes - literally.

P.S. But it was a nice feeling when I unpacked my new Unicomp keyboard and saw label "Made in USA". It's so rare nowadays...
P.P.S. But now I write from Poker II - cuz I'm at work and that's what it was bought for.

Offline xuanwumen

• * Commercial Vendor
    • EZKB
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 07:14:37 »

Hmm... 75 bucks for full backlighted Tenkeyless board? Not bad. And caps material - is it ABS? Or PBT?

Currently I have all keyboards I need (but not all I want!) but my friend was searching for backlighted mechanical board... maybe I'll try this particular one on him :)
[/quote]

The keycap is ABS.
NIZ KEYBOARDS VENDOR

Offline xuanwumen

• * Commercial Vendor
    • EZKB
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 07:18:45 »

[/quote]

About the poison food or CCTV4 songs, I am not expert on this and this is not related to KB, so I'd prefer not to conitinue with this topic.

There are 1.4 billion people in China and  they all survive... :))
NIZ KEYBOARDS VENDOR

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 07:23:48 »

Well, I quite like Chinese tea - oolong and puehr. Never ever heard someone was poisoned by tea. Well...In our country people get poisoned by bad vodka far more often :) So I think at least tea from Chuna is already good. Not all, of course... but I buy from company, which buys good tea by bulk.

And, to be honest, electronics is already pretty decent too - if you're ain't buying it by kilogrammes - literally.

P.S. But it was a nice feeling when I unpacked my new Unicomp keyboard and saw label "Made in USA". It's so rare nowadays...
P.P.S. But now I write from Poker II - cuz I'm at work and that's what it was bought for.

Pu'er tea used to be 100% ok until a decade ago. The people who drank it most were probably Tibetans. Then they had a boom, and there wasn't enough supply. And the troubles came in.

Fake puer tea started appearing. (EG they take the leaves from related tea plants of a lower grade, but the taste is of course not the same.)

In any case, part of the reason for bad vodka in the ex USSR must be the radioactive soil. I wonder if there's any vodka that's bright green and sets off geiger counters.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 14:22:22 »

Pu'er tea used to be 100% ok until a decade ago. The people who drank it most were probably Tibetans. Then they had a boom, and there wasn't enough supply. And the troubles came in.

Fake puer tea started appearing. (EG they take the leaves from related tea plants of a lower grade, but the taste is of course not the same.)

In any case, part of the reason for bad vodka in the ex USSR must be the radioactive soil. I wonder if there's any vodka that's bright green and sets off geiger counters.

Well, puehr I'm buying is at least decent. I'm not saying about raw puehr - there are too many forgeries. But I quite like ripe puehr. I'm buying in not from Chinese - there are one Russian who opened tea delivery company in china. He's complained a lot about forgeries too - and he's providing good tea - even if more costly than on Aliexpress. And I know tea will be drinkable ;)

No, not bright green, it's bright blue, and bottle quite radiation-proof :)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 16:05:20 »
Not lasting, but the kids are like us and want to change their keyboards as often as they change sneakers also, so everyone is happy.

Except the environment and people themselves. They'll probably go through the same thing as the Japanese in early 70's, but there are very few places left to outsource production.

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 23:53:10 »
Which version is this? KC 87 II or III? Or just KC 87 Backlit?

Offline Coreda

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 23:59:46 »

Not sure about the claims of poor quality, but users must clean their boards some time, surely.... right?  ;D

Offline xuanwumen

• * Commercial Vendor
    • EZKB
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 07:38:47 »

This is the new backlit version with Kailh switches.NOT Cherry switches.    Can be called KC87 IV.
NIZ KEYBOARDS VENDOR

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 10:26:39 »

This is the new backlit version with Kailh switches.NOT Cherry switches.    Can be called KC87 IV.
Okay good thanks. Pricing in china, in RMB form?

Offline the random asian

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 22:43:20 »
I apologize for bringing this old-ish thread back up, but can this be ordered from the U.S.? I was not able to find anymore information about this. Perhaps it isn't yet released?

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 23:40:57 »

Buy one and be a reviewer? If the purpose of researching a product is to make sure you make an intelligent purchase; where is the logic in your comment?

Quoting a question with an opinion in the form of a solution. Got to love the internet...

Offline xuanwumen

• * Commercial Vendor
    • EZKB
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 09:37:28 »
I apologize for bringing this old-ish thread back up, but can this be ordered from the U.S.? I was not able to find anymore information about this. Perhaps it isn't yet released?

It is available in the market already .
Below is a link for your reference.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Keycool-84-white-black-brown-red-mx-switch-shaft-mechanical-keyboard-gaming-keyboard/818123_818404656.html
NIZ KEYBOARDS VENDOR

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 13:10:38 »
Razer in the same category as Keycool now. Seems about right.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 15:09:19 »
I don't know how to feel about this :( On one hand I'm quite sad, because as many of you will know I absolutely love my Keycools, and I don't like that they are now being associated with these notoriously bad switches. On the other hand I am begrudgingly happy, because they are still making boards, and I think if they didn't switch suppliers then they may not have continued to make boards at all.

I may buy one of these in a few months and see what they are like.

Are the switch colours the same as MX switches or are their colours/feels different?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline the random asian

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 15:31:31 »
apparently taobao is doing a special, if you buy the "hero edition" (from what I saw, it is basically just the backlighting version), it includes a set of yellow blank pbt. I'm going to get one for my 2nd board, it looks nice. And I don't think Kailh deserves as much hate as its getting. Granted, I have not tried those switches, but I doubt I'd be able to break them by just taking off a cap. If you could, a huge company like Razer would not be using them. I dunno, that's just my based-off-speculation logic

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 17:04:50 »
apparently taobao is doing a special, if you buy the "hero edition" (from what I saw, it is basically just the backlighting version), it includes a set of yellow blank pbt. I'm going to get one for my 2nd board, it looks nice. And I don't think Kailh deserves as much hate as its getting. Granted, I have not tried those switches, but I doubt I'd be able to break them by just taking off a cap. If you could, a huge company like Razer would not be using them. I dunno, that's just my based-off-speculation logic

Or maybe they would. This way you have to buy a new keyboard every year. Conspiracy theory inc! lol

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 18:24:13 »
...or maybe it's just a matter of principle. You know, not supporting plagiarism, the process of cutting costs at the cost of quality, ridiculous marketing or environmental irresponsibility.

Offline YuukiHaruto

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 00:45:12 »
That's like saying Mercedes-Benz wouldn't be cost cutting to dip in quality sharply about 10+ years ago. But they did.
It happened. This is what happens to big companies like Razer, Razer has always been known for poor quality so going to to a lower quality switch to save money (and keeping prices the same) is not surprising.

Offline xuanwumen

• * Commercial Vendor
    • EZKB
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 06:04:02 »
I don't know how to feel about this :( On one hand I'm quite sad, because as many of you will know I absolutely love my Keycools, and I don't like that they are now being associated with these notoriously bad switches. On the other hand I am begrudgingly happy, because they are still making boards, and I think if they didn't switch suppliers then they may not have continued to make boards at all.

I may buy one of these in a few months and see what they are like.

Are the switch colours the same as MX switches or are their colours/feels different?

Yes, they also offer 4 switches,paging cherry mx switches.As for the feel, i suppose there is difference. Definitely cherry is better.

Yes, they are also called hero keyboards.
NIZ KEYBOARDS VENDOR