Author Topic: Is my boyfriend addicted?  (Read 12518 times)

Offline blackbox

Re: Is my boyfriend addicted?
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 14:44:20 »
Dear Geekhack members!

My boyfriend loves mechanical keyboards, as you all do. I can understand it.
But really how many do you need? He has 3 ducky`s, 2 coolermasters and one steelseries keyboard.
Of course he has all cherries! Brown, blue, red and what else i forgott (sorry for my unknowledge).
Well and of course he has several keycaps. I have to addmit that i love the rainbow keycaps...they look awesome.
Now he talks about the filco keyboard, because it is the porsche of keyboards and ducky is only the mercedes!
But what comes next? The Lamborghini?
Am I wrong that I think that it is enough, or is it really necessary to have an filco keyboard in your collection?
Thanks dear geekhacks for your answers!! :)

I think once you have some spare money to splash around and once you're hooked, you want to have different keyboards to suit your moods.

I currently have:

2 x Noppoo choc mini /w reds,
1 x Filco TKL /w reds,
1 x Razer Blackwidoe Tournament edition /w blues,
1 x Keycool 84 /w Browns

I'm in the market to get a:

Realforce 87u or a HHKB Pro 2 as well.

I think it's more a collecting thing, I like to have them there and it's always nice to have back ups and what not.

I don't think your boyfriend is going over the top or whatever, it's just one of those things that us "geeks" like to do.

What is the purpose of two identical noppoos?
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 16:33:00 »
Typing at two different places?

Offline Emospence

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 02:08:59 »
After getting into watches, I realised keyboard prices are nothing in comparison..
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 02:43:29 »
This thread is a good example why I love GH!

It goes meandering off topic like a happy drunk, yet still gives great advice despite the OP possibly trolling.

My advice: Impose a rule of 3... Only 3 boards in the house at any one time. Forces him to prioritise. He can take the rest to work with him....
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline 66klaus

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 02:55:55 »

It goes meandering off topic like a happy drunk, yet still gives great advice despite the OP possibly trolling.

My advice: Impose a rule of 3... Only 3 boards in the house at any one time. Forces him to prioritise. He can take the rest to work with him....

OP is my gf and she is not trolling!
I already have one Keyboard at work. Now I have got five at home!

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 03:15:26 »

Is this op's new account?  :p

Offline Tony

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 03:24:22 »
Suppose a good troll from a geehacker who is feeling too guilty.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline 66klaus

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 03:27:44 »
Suppose a good troll from a geehacker who is feeling too guilty.

not a troll!  :mad:

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 04:59:54 »

Hi, my name is Oobly and I am an addict.

No offense meant.

Just buy a great keyboard or two "for the girlfriend". Either she becomes an addict, too, or she just has to accept them in the house since they were a gift to her.... maybe.

I "only" have 2 mechanicals at home and another on the way (for the office). My wife is getting one of my old rubber dome boards for her new PC, so I can "upgrade" it sometime in the future with a mechanical if I "need" to ;)

I don't know how I'm going to explain all the keycap sets I have ordered, but that's another story.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 09:25:27 »
no don't buy the gf ****, b/c you don't want to "IMPOSE" upon her your hobby or whatever. you don't want to decide for her, that she likes something, it is something she'll have to decide, if that makes any sense.

Offline russm

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 10:12:56 »

Just think: it could be motorcycles he is addicted to, where would you be then"livin in the garage"!

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 11:57:59 »
This thread makes me really appreciate that my gf accepts my hobby, I've got over 10 boards at work and over 80 at home.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline josh

• Since 2011
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 19:21:18 »
LOL
OTD 356CL Gunmetal | OTD 356CL Black | OTD 356CL DGE | OTD 356 Mini Military Green | OTD 356 Pad | TGR Jane V2 Blue Grey | TGR Jane V2 Pink | TGR Jane V2 ce E-White | TGR Alice Prototype 1.0 | TGR Alice Pink Silver Two Tone | TGR Alice Polycarbonate | TGR 910 RE Red | TGR 910 ce Silver | TGR x GAF 910 Black | TGR x GAF 910 Purple | Noxary Vulcan Pro Silver | Noxary Evija HG | Keycult No.2/65 Unfinished Red | Realforce 101 | Realforce 10 Year Anniversary | Realforce 23U | HHKB Professional White | HHKB Professional Charcoal | HHKB Snow 25th Anniversary Japan Edition

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 22:44:13 »
This thread makes me really appreciate that my gf accepts my hobby, I've got over 10 boards at work and over 80 at home.

:eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline blackbox

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 02:40:52 »

:eek:

What does your coworkes say when they discover you have 10 different keyboards at work?
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline kishagi

• Narcoleptic
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 08:31:12 »
I cant see a reason to have more than 5 keyboards, other than to say "Sup homeslice,  check out my keyboard collection. Ive got 20 so far; beat that sucka

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 09:23:01 »
This thread....... hahahahahahahahahahahahahah :thumb: :blank: :rolleyes:
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 11:25:33 »
 :))

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 11:29:39 »
As fake as this may be it has over 2k reads, and over one hundred posts. It reveals how concern we might be about others accepting / rejecting our weird hobby of collecting keyboard stuff.  :p

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 15:27:41 »
I've been here a little over a month and have already spent ~100, and that's only because 2-3 of my puchases haven't been invoiced yet with those i'll be up to ~1k

I can understand how it can get out of control, as the more you want, the more you spend, luckily I have side cash, but still could I have spent 1k more reasonably probably?
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]