Author Topic: Laser Engraving Keycaps  (Read 4965 times)

Offline arfink

Laser Engraving Keycaps
« on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 10:32:37 »
Hey, I've lurked a very long time here and don't post much, so bear with me if I use wrong terminology or haven't noticed certain trends around here. :P

I do laser engraving, and I love keyboards. I've noticed that at least one keyboard maker (Das Keyboard) advertises laser-engraved key caps. Have others done this sort of thing in a customized or one-off way before, and if so, how was it done? I have noticed that many custom keycap sets are done in ABS, which is a laser-friendly material to work with, but what other plastics are common?

I'm interested in trying my hand at doing some engraved keycaps, and if there isn't any information documenting how others have done it I think I'll just have to experiment and document it myself and share it with everyone. :) I think my first experiments are going to have to be with junk membrane keyboards I don't care about as I learn how to set things up though.

Offline Blaskkaffe

Re: Laser Engraving Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 10:55:56 »
ABS is the most common but other materials are PBT and POM.

Most high end keycaps are made in PBT

Offline arfink

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 11:00:00 »
POM... People make keycaps in Delrin? Really?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 12:19:22 »
Most high end keycaps are made in PBT

Lol, that's a bit subjective. I prefer GMK/Cherry ABS to anything PBT. And I like POM more than PBT. It's personal preference.

Offline Blaskkaffe

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 14:31:26 »
I did not really mean it like that, more like.

ABS from really low end to high end, the material used in double-shot caps
POM somewhere in between, tho few of the best quality caps are POM
PBT medium to high end caps, pricy compared to regular ABS

Offline arfink

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 14:49:49 »
Well, that's pretty cool information to know, as laser engraving can go very well or very horribly wrong depending entirely on the kind of plastic being used, so knowing what people like to get key caps made out of helps me immensely. :) Thanks guys.