Author Topic: into perspective  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
into perspective
« on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 14:58:36 »
For those of you that wonder why I would want to build a keyboard case out of half inch plate, I just want to put it into perspective with what I do at work. 

Today I had to do a shaft alignment between theotor and the pump on an air compressor.  The alignment was damn near perfect when I finished.  Offset missalignmet was within .0002" vertically and .0005" horizontally.  The angular miss alignment was within .0017" vertically and .0000" horizontally.  Here is a picture of the placard from the side of the motor.

59737-0
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: into perspective
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 15:38:53 »
I would love to have a metal case as long as I could carry it without getting a hernia. My naked stealth F has a handle that is good.

Raw metal would look supremely bad-ass to boot.

By "plate" do you mean steel? Obviously titanium would be the best all-around, and copper would be scary wicked steampunk, but aluminum would be plenty adequate for the proletariat.

Realistically, at about 8.25 pounds, my F-122 is about as heavy as a keyboard needs to be. Somewhere around triple that weight and it would start getting obnoxious and unnecessarily cumbersome.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline iri

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 16:10:02 »
Obviously titanium would be the best all-around
i prefer iridium, thank you.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 16:11:48 »
Obviously inconel would be the best all-around

Fixed that for you :P

Raw metal would look supremely bad-ass to boot.

By "plate" do you mean steel?

Should be a steel plate. And I agree, I always liked the look of raw metal.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 21:40:26 »
wow

that motor is 4 metric tons. Then I checked the power requirements: 2300V at over 300A! That's intense!

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 21:46:30 »
Tungsten carbide cases and plates FTW.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 23:58:50 »
wow

that motor is 4 metric tons. Then I checked the power requirements: 2300V at over 300A! That's intense!

Just think I have set motors that were only 1,000 hp that were lower RPM but drew more power and weight much more.  But those were built back in the '40s and '50s.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 01:12:42 »
magnesium is nice stuff

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 01:22:28 »
magnesium is nice stuff

I love lighting it on fire.