Author Topic: Question about PBT  (Read 3436 times)

Offline Harms

Question about PBT
« on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 02:58:22 »
Hi everyone, I was wondering why I can't seem to find Black PBT keycaps with White printing/legends on them, is there a reason for this? Thank you guys.

Offline mougrim

Re: Question about PBT
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 03:17:55 »
First - you can, if you try, second - this tread goes into Keycaps subforum.
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline Harms

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 03:23:48 »
Oh, thanks well I hope a mod can move this, thanks.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 03:35:10 »
Hmm. Doesn't the new Vortex thick PBT come in WoB (White on Black) variant?

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=774
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline minho

• i'm kind of back
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 03:46:38 »
Yes sir!

And I believe the reason for the low variety of this type of keycap is that most PBT's use dye-sub to create legends, a process that only allows darker colors on lighter colors (correct me if I'm wrong but this seems right).

Offline mougrim

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 03:51:32 »
Yes sir!

And I believe the reason for the low variety of this type of keycap is that most PBT's use dye-sub to create legends, a process that only allows darker colors on lighter colors (correct me if I'm wrong but this seems right).

You're right. Darker on lighter - not vice-versa.
So black PBT with white legends will be either pad-printed or laser-engraved and filled.

Oh, but you can get doubleshot PBT caps  - like that Vortex ones.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 April 2014, 03:58:17 by mougrim »
IBM AT Model F, Vortexgear Race 3, AEKII (Alps Cream Damped), Metoo Zero (modded to Kailh Box Navy)

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 11:58:02 »
Yup Yup. The Realforce 87U Black has "dark gray" (almost black looking) PBT keys with dye-sublimated black lettering. You can barely see it in low light conditions. It'd be cool if they could make a dye-subbed lighter font on PBT keys, but that's not possible.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 12:10:09 »
Yup Yup. The Realforce 87U Black has "dark gray" (almost black looking) PBT keys with dye-sublimated black lettering. You can barely see it in low light conditions. It'd be cool if they could make a dye-subbed lighter font on PBT keys, but that's not possible.

Alas, they didn't invent new physics to do it yet.

By the way, never understood all that "black on gray" thingy. Well, maybe it's great for learning touch-typing, but you can barely see damn thing!

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 12:12:04 »

By the way, never understood all that "black on gray" thingy. Well, maybe it's great for learning touch-typing, but you can barely see damn thing!

I love the subtlety of it.

Offline mougrim

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 13:07:47 »

Jedem das seine :) I mean, I admire it's beauty and delicacy, but it's just not mine cup of tea.

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 13:12:03 »

Jedem das seine :) I mean, I admire it's beauty and delicacy, but it's just not mine cup of tea.

I love how it's almost invisible as well, but I also bought the classic look of the white RF too because I loved that high contrasted look.

Are there such things as completely clear keycaps so that I can look at how gross everything is getting underneath my keys? I've been wanting a blank keycap set, but this sounds funner.

Offline noway

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 00:35:41 »
I would think the most popular colour IMHO would be black on white PBT but for some reason they seem to be the most difficult to find.   

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 02:31:26 »

I love how it's almost invisible as well, but I also bought the classic look of the white RF too because I loved that high contrasted look.

Are there such things as completely clear keycaps so that I can look at how gross everything is getting underneath my keys? I've been wanting a blank keycap set, but this sounds funner.

http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/product/clear-blank-full-104-keycap-sets

:D

Keep a compressed air can handy....
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 08:14:40 »
Caps made of PBT may sport pad printed legends in white, or other color. Also, as it was already mentioned, there are now the Vortex DS with white legends on black PBT, but you should be aware that PBT should be mixed with ABS to be molded using the double shot process, so those caps that now advertized as PBT DS are a mixed compound, and therefore they may not have the same level of wear resistance than the full PBT caps. Only time will tell, the mixed compound has been developed by some plastic resins manufacturers in china recently. It has been claimed to be as mouldable as ABS and as resistant as PBT.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 April 2014, 10:16:15 by ideus »

Offline mougrim

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 10:01:14 »
Caps made of PBT may sport pad printed legends in white, or other color. Also, as it was already mentioned, there are now the Vortex DS with white legends on black PBT, but you should be aware that PBT should be mixed with ABS to be molded using the double shot process, so those caps that now advertized as PBT DS are a mixed compound, and therefore they may not have the same level of wear resistance than the full PBT caps. Only time will tell, the mixed compound has been developed by some plastic resins manufacturers in china recently. It has been claimed to be as mouldable as ABS and as resistance than PBT.
Kinda like the Holy Grail of keycaps world, if it's true :)

Offline zippox

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 12:40:58 »

Woah woah woah. Why haven't I heard of this?

What would the thickness of these be? (do any pictures of the underside of these caps exist?)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 12:45:59 »

Woah woah woah. Why haven't I heard of this?

What would the thickness of these be? (do any pictures of the underside of these caps exist?)

here is a review with some pics!

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56399.0

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 13:55:19 »
Caps made of PBT may sport pad printed legends in white, or other color. Also, as it was already mentioned, there are now the Vortex DS with white legends on black PBT, but you should be aware that PBT should be mixed with ABS to be molded using the double shot process, so those caps that now advertized as PBT DS are a mixed compound, and therefore they may not have the same level of wear resistance than the full PBT caps. Only time will tell, the mixed compound has been developed by some plastic resins manufacturers in china recently. It has been claimed to be as mouldable as ABS and as resistance than PBT.
Kinda like the Holy Grail of keycaps world, if it's true :)

Yes, if the final resistance of the mixed compound material is comparable to PBT, this would be awesome. I have been using in my dialy driver the PBT double shot modifiers made by SP, and after a year they do not show any sign of wear. However, I think this compound is not the same formula than Vortex, but in any case I think the result is quite nice, I just hope SP can do some DS with PBT compund in DCS, because I do not really like the tall profile of OEM in the Vortex.