Author Topic: TS writes a Realforce Review  (Read 3416 times)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
TS writes a Realforce Review
« on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 11:33:09 »
So, I've long been known for my hate of Topre. That is, until a week or so ago.

The IT at my school uses a realforce daily, and has constantly been telling me "Use your HHKB for a day nonstop, then see what you think." I thought he was BSing me, so I ignored it for along time. Eventually, I caved and tried it. I wasn't convinced. Assuring myself that the problem was with the layout, I set off for the classifieds. Within 24 hours I had a trade set up, and within 72  hours (thanks jalaj) I had a 45g realforce. More convinced, I tried the "use it for a week" method, and I'm still not quite there.

Do I like it? Sure. I don't hate it anymore, that's a definite. It doesn't feel like anything else, which gives it a cool uniqueness factor. It's got pink (apparently the color is called "cherry blossom" but they're definitely pink)  keycaps as well, so that's a good reason to like it. It's fairly reliable in DotA, LoL, and other non-APM dependent games (save for playing Meepo).

Are there aspects I dislike? Definitely. It's utter crap when I take it into TF2, Skullgirls, SC2 (I was gold in season 2!), or CS:GO. Couldn't stand it in any of those games, and switched to my trusty, tried, true, and tested MX red Filco. It also sounds pretty lame. I like the sound of MX more.

Does it need anything to make me like it more? Nope. I want to love it, but if I can't do my job with it, there's no need to love it. It totally rocks for typing essays/programs, though.

Do I have any other thoughts about it? If you're on the fence about buying a Topre keyboard, I say go for it. You really can't grasp it without using one for a few days.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tbc

Re: TS writes a Realforce Review
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 19:22:29 »
i have a variable rf tkl.

it's definitely nice when typing long form prose.  i wouldn't say it's BETTER, just different without being bad.

programming simply doesn't require long typing sessions unless one hates copy/paste or testing as you write.

i'm not going to comment on gaming

EDIT:

i don't see how slow typers can enjoy this board.  if you're 50wpm consistent or slower, i would say you're better off with a nice cheaper rubber unless you're really fond of the case.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 April 2014, 19:24:42 by tbc »
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 21:03:50 »
I'm 50wpm on a good day. I quite like this board.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 13:47:16 »
programming simply doesn't require long typing sessions unless one hates copy/paste or testing as you write.

What do you mean exactly by that?
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 14:16:28 »
I'm still confused on your actual verdict. So you like it, but since you can't play FPS games on it properly you don't prefer it to your Filco?

Offline tbc

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 May 2014, 22:32:50 »

What do you mean exactly by that?

writing out a bunch of code at once is bad form in programming.  also, programming is like 90% thinking.  if  you're not thinking, then you're not programming.

write small chunks (like 3 - 5 lines) and test.  rinse and repeat

don 't take the numbers too seriously.

Offline feizor

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 00:28:32 »

i don't see how slow typers can enjoy this board.  if you're 50wpm consistent or slower, i would say you're better off with a nice cheaper rubber unless you're really fond of the case.

Why do you say that? Are Topre not suitable for slow typers? I'm around 50 wpm with punctuation and capitalization.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 01:05:17 »

Why do you say that? Are Topre not suitable for slow typers? I'm around 50 wpm with punctuation and capitalization.

I type 10 wpm and I still like my 55g TKL.  Stop picking on the slow typers, we know we are slow, but couldn't care less about it  ;) .

Offline tbc

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 04:02:48 »
variable topre has a very different feel when you're typing fast.

50wpm feels like any standard rubber dome.  you're not typing fast enough where the weighting makes a difference.
to 80wpm,  the 'sweet spot' when you still feel the bump and fatigue starts so the variable weighting can start 'working'
when spamming random keys (probly like 140wpm), it feels like complete mush but i guess if you like linear that's a good thing.

55g topre is a different beast and i can believe it feels great all the time.

Offline feizor

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 02:35:23 »
variable topre has a very different feel when you're typing fast.

50wpm feels like any standard rubber dome.  you're not typing fast enough where the weighting makes a difference.
to 80wpm,  the 'sweet spot' when you still feel the bump and fatigue starts so the variable weighting can start 'working'
when spamming random keys (probly like 140wpm), it feels like complete mush but i guess if you like linear that's a good thing.

55g topre is a different beast and i can believe it feels great all the time.

Ah right, this only applies to variable and not 55g. Gotcha