Author Topic: The effect of PBT caps on MX blues?  (Read 5709 times)

Offline Razor88

The effect of PBT caps on MX blues?
« on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 16:47:35 »
Hey guys

I have a Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid with mx blues, and I'm wondering how thick (or non-thick) pbt caps will effect the sound it makes? Does anyone want to shed some light on this? I heard it makes the clicks less sharp? If this is the case it would definitely pique my interest.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: The effect of PBT caps on MX blues?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 17:14:25 »
Thick PBT will make it less sharp and give it a deeper sound, thin PBT will still have the same pitch as with ABS but a little quieter. However with the thick PBT the trade off is that when you bottom out the clack will be louder.
I love Elzy

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 17:32:53 »
With thin or medium-thick PBT, there's not much of a change of feeling or sound, but I have to say that for me, thick PBT really doesn't go well with Blues; it muffles the click's feeling while not altering the noise, and makes it seem really heavy.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline Razor88

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 17:41:07 »
Hmmm I was hoping to get something to lower the pitch of the clicks slightly. But if it makes bottoming out louder its a no go ( my brother bottoms out all the time)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 17:46:23 »
Hmmm I was hoping to get something to lower the pitch of the clicks slightly. But if it makes bottoming out louder its a no go ( my brother bottoms out all the time)

You might wanna try thin PBT then, should help out a little.
I love Elzy

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 18:15:28 »
The guy I sold my Das to got titanium caps for wasd and a pi symbol for esc to replace the nonstandard keys I had on it (the green wasd and red esc).

I was expecting the titanium caps to feel like cold metal, but they didn't and they changed the feel and sound some - made it more subdued I suppose is the word I would use.

I didn't type on it like that, so I can't say anything to bottoming out noise, the titanium keys did seem quieter in general though.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 08:38:40 »
ABS is clicky, PBT is clacky.

POM caps will help reduce the clickiness and make it more thocky. The sound of quality ;)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 08:53:22 »
You may want to give a try to the modifiers set offered by SP, they come in PBT and POM, so you will get a better idea if it is what you want. Other option could be to ask for examples of caps in PBT thick, and thin to get the actual feeling. There are always fellows that want to help by letting go some caps.

It is good to listen to others experiences, but I am pretty sure you will have an actual opinion until you try the caps yourself.

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
  • Colour my life with the chaos of trouble
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 09:51:26 »
the feeling of thick pbt is nice.
it is hard to put the feelings in words, best if you could try it on yourself
email: yuktsi@ttggrr.cc

My collection

More
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 | Whale Poly | 356cl | HBCP | Dolinger | Linger | FMJ80 | KFE

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 09:52:51 »
I agree Cherry thick POM has the most dramatic effect for sound for keycap, followed by Cherry thick PBT and ABS, then Cherry thin PBT. Grabbing one of these or these is usually the cheapest way to try out... at least for most of the keys anyway. You will have to source the rest from elsewhere Cherry models if you decide you like them to finish it out.

Offline Razor88

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 10:05:04 »
Thanks for the help guys :). A couple of problems with some of the suggestions:

1) I live in South Africa, so some of the super cheap keyboards on eBay are not available (mostly things from china are available with decent shipping prices)

2) I can't get blank keycaps :(. My brother ( and my mother sometimes) use my keyboard and they are not touch typists.

3) I was planning on getting this http://www.ebay.com/itm/37PBT-Plus-thick-Single-color-Key-caps-MX-Cherry-Switches-Top-printed-/300997690791?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item4614dc45a7 but it seems thick pbt makes the clacks louder, which might disturb my parents, since my brother bottoms out.

4) I was thinking this http://www.banggood.com/Keycool-104-PBT-White-Laser-Etched-Keycap-Laser-Engraving-Key-Caps-p-84161.html was a safe option, but it's sold out.

Offline absfac

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 20:56:57 »
As I've said elsewhere on this forum, for me the difference between ABS and thin PBT is that ABS makes the blue switch's click sound a bit like a fingernail clipper "tick", whereas with thin PBT the click sounds more like a musical "chirp". The latter is nice but the former gets on my nerves.

This is just the click near the actuation point. Bottoming out is a different sound which also changes to some extent based on keycap material, but that shouldn't be different on blues vs. any other MX switch, and honestly I find the change in bottoming-out sound much less noticeable than the change in the more delicate resonance of the switch click.

Reading the other responses in this thread makes me think that other people hear different components of the sound than I do though. Chances are that your ears will hear slightly different things than anyone else. Once you start paying attention to your keyboard all kinds of personal quirks come to the fore.

Haven't yet had a chance to put POM or thick PBT caps on my blue board yet.

Offline Txduck

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 22:49:01 »

I Have a Ducky with MX blues / PBT Double shot keycaps, and the PBT is approximately twice as thick as the ABS keys that came with the board.
I've tried the two types side by side and there is a difference. My PBTs clearly produce a noticeably lower pitch sound when bottoming out.
As for the little "click" of the blues, the PBTs seem to have a slightly lower pitch click, but not by much.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 April 2014, 19:48:51 by Txduck »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 02:24:49 »

1) I live in South Africa, so some of the super cheap keyboards on eBay are not available (mostly things from china are available with decent shipping prices)

2) I can't get blank keycaps :(. My brother ( and my mother sometimes) use my keyboard and they are not touch typists.

3) I was planning on getting this http://www.ebay.com/itm/37PBT-Plus-thick-Single-color-Key-caps-MX-Cherry-Switches-Top-printed-/300997690791?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item4614dc45a7 but it seems thick pbt makes the clacks louder, which might disturb my parents, since my brother bottoms out.

4) I was thinking this http://www.banggood.com/Keycool-104-PBT-White-Laser-Etched-Keycap-Laser-Engraving-Key-Caps-p-84161.html was a safe option, but it's sold out.

I would say go for the ebay ones. Qtan is a GH member and respectable seller and the thick PBT are nice caps. The bottom out sound with thick PBT is NOT louder, just lower pitch. In my experience with thin ABS, medium PBT and medium POM caps, the heavier caps tended to make less noise on bottoming out actually.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Txduck

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 03:11:28 »

I would say go for the ebay ones. Qtan is a GH member and respectable seller and the thick PBT are nice caps.
The bottom out sound with thick PBT is NOT louder, just lower pitch. In my experience with thin ABS, medium PBT and medium POM caps, the heavier caps tended to make less noise on bottoming out actually.

Oobly I agree with your statement that: "The bottom out sound with thick PBT is NOT louder, just lower pitch."
That's my experience with the PBTs as well.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 April 2014, 19:45:39 by Txduck »

Offline Razor88

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 05:09:29 »
Thanks guys, a lower pitched would probably be desirable :) I'm seriously considering buying a yellow 37 key set from Qtan and getting a bumblebee theme going on(waiting will be a pain though).  If I like it, I'll probably by the rest of the keys in black. Btw, does any place sell just the other keys? ( Ie. all keys on the tenkeyless expect for the 37 numbers/symbols)

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 10:15:27 »
Thanks guys, a lower pitched would probably be desirable :) I'm seriously considering buying a yellow 37 key set from Qtan and getting a bumblebee theme going on(waiting will be a pain though).  If I like it, I'll probably by the rest of the keys in black. Btw, does any place sell just the other keys? ( Ie. all keys on the tenkeyless expect for the 37 numbers/symbols)

Signature Plastics does have them; they sell the mod (outer keys) and base (37-keys) sets separately.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline Razor88

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 10:35:51 »

Signature Plastics does have them; they sell the mod (outer keys) and base (37-keys) sets separately.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 11:40:54 »

If you do, hope you enjoy!

Offline Txduck

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 20:29:16 »

Black and yellow bumblebee theme huh? Cool idea!  ;D

« Last Edit: Sun, 13 April 2014, 20:11:41 by Txduck »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 12 April 2014, 01:07:24 »

Black and yellow bumblebee theme huh? Cool idea!  ;D

Bumblebee?

http://www.keypop.net/product/bumblebee-set

:D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline mrelectric

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 13:52:57 »
I like ABS and how slippery (soft?) they feel, should I get POM keycaps or PBT?

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 13:53:31 »

Get some thick cherry ABS

Offline Txduck

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 13 April 2014, 20:19:15 »
I'm seriously considering buying a yellow 37 key set from Qtan and getting a bumblebee theme going on

:blank: :cool: :blank: :cool: :blank: :cool: :blank:
      :blank: :cool: :blank: :cool: :blank: :cool: :blank:    ;D :thumb:

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 03:11:10 »

Definitely POM. It's denser than PBT and has almost teflon-like feeling.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline tbc

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 17:05:11 »
^ that

can't stand slippery feeling, but if that's your thing, POM is the way to go.

thick abs is $$$$$$$$$$ and gets gross and shiny.  although apparently that helps with slipperyness.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline mapple

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 15 April 2014, 15:20:46 »
Hey guys

I have a Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid with mx blues, and I'm wondering how thick (or non-thick) pbt caps will effect the sound it makes? Does anyone want to shed some light on this? I heard it makes the clicks less sharp? If this is the case it would definitely pique my interest.

dsa pbt i think they are thin - i do very much appreciate effect from switching from std abs. Althought using blues with thick PBT (ducky ones) isn't best idea. I mean sound - can't hear that good anymore and yeah i'm already sold to dsa so profile is to damn high:).
In God We Trust