Author Topic: Where to find Alps compatible springs  (Read 3703 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Where to find Alps compatible springs
« on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 20:42:43 »
So it's incredibly easy to find springs that fit into an MX switch and modify it to your preferred weight, but I've noticed it's incredibly difficult to do so with Alps.  So I wanted to start a kind of repository for people to list Alps compatible and incompatible springs.  So let me know if you find them so I can add them to the list or what doesn't work so people can avoid trying it.

Sources for Alps compatible springs:

• Alps switches - this one is obvious, but it feels wrong to cannibalize the springs sometimes...unless they're White or Black Alps that is.
  • Cherry ML switches - while the spring is a little wider than an Alps spring, it does fit into an Alps switch without any problems at all.  It's shorter than an Alps spring, so it can have a dramatic difference in some switches.  I can tell you firsthand that it makes Greens feel like crap.

Incompatible sources:

• Cherry MX switches - They're just too big around in diameter
  • Most pens
  • Cherry MY switches - the springs are too small in diameter and length
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 April 2014, 20:54:35 by nubbinator »

Offline nuclearsandwich

Re: Where to find Alps compatible springs
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 20:46:10 »
Do the springs in Matias's switches work for complicated Alps variants? If so it may be possible to find his suppliers instead of pulling them out of his switches.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 20:53:56 »
I haven't tried them, but I don't see what they shouldn't work unless some Alps have randomly different sized springs.  I haven't noticed something like that in the Alps I've had, but Akimbo, resident Alps master, may have something else to say.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 22:21:48 »
Anyone got any dimensions of Alps springs?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 22:34:28 »
The ones in my Green Alps are about 3mm diameter x 10.5mm long.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 22:39:53 »
The ones in my Green Alps are about 3mm diameter x 10.5mm long.

Any idea on spring rates?  pounds/inch would work best

No idea how this spring rate translates to key switches but these are the lightest I found on mcmastercarr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#compression-springs/=rgerdj
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 April 2014, 22:45:49 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 22:54:04 »
I don't have any information on the thickness of the spring wire since my calipers aren't calibrated that small, but it's sub 1mm.  The number of coils is shown in my pictures in my review.  No clue on spring rate.

Based on the measurements I have, these numbers may work: 9657K256, 9657K256, 1986K42, 1986K41, 1986K41, 9434K19, 9434K163, 9434K17, 9434K17, 9001T13   , 9001T14   , 9002T11, 9002T13, 9002T14, 9637K44 (cut to your own length), 9663K65 (cut to your own length).
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 April 2014, 23:03:15 by nubbinator »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 06:08:54 »
I’m going to measure all the physical dimensions of all the types of Alps springs I have with a caliper, hopefully tomorrow. This won’t be ideally precise measurements, but I don’t have a micrometer, so it’ll have to do for now. I’d also like to figure out if they can be measured with HaaTa’s force gauge, but that isn’t going to happen for a month, since I’ll be out of the country.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 April 2014, 06:11:24 by jacobolus »

Offline andresteare

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 07:39:36 »
What about chinese alps clones?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 13:30:29 »
What about chinese alps clones?

SPRiT has springs for just about everything. Not sure if they would work in All Alps clones or not.

I haven't tried them myself since all of my Alps and Matias boards seem fine to me just the way they are. I did play with some meant for box switches and they seemed to be pretty well made.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 13:37:49 »

Incompatible sources:

• Most pens

This is hilarious

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 17 February 2021, 09:42:10 »
I tried SPRiT, I used 55gr Alps for white linearized : that's very light. You can let your fingers rest on the board actuating keys.
SPRiT have a bad reputation… they deliver me without issues. Buyt the delivery was very long.
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 09:03:46 »
Matias Clicky and Quiet Click springs are nearly identical in weighting to Blue Alps. EDIT: Matias' springs are so inconsistent that some may be close to Blue Alps in weighting, while others are closer to Brown Alps in weighting

Kailh Box White springs are also similar in weighting to Orange Alps. They're like an Orange spring, with slightly more preload since it's a tad longer.
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 February 2021, 09:10:43 by Little4Real »

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 20:19:38 »
I tried SPRiT, I used 55gr Alps for white linearized : that's very light. You can let your fingers rest on the board actuating keys.
SPRiT have a bad reputation… they deliver me without issues. Buyt the delivery was very long.
I ordered from them recently.  They shipped within a week and from SK to NY was less than a week. 
Be sure to buy a few different springs and the shipping will drop astronomically. 

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g