Author Topic: Roller Mouse Free  (Read 24678 times)

Offline rdjack21

Roller Mouse Free
« on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 16:38:43 »
Now this is different from both a mouse and a track ball but more like a track ball than a mouse. I can't decide if I like it or not. I think it is a neat Idea but not sure how I would like it.

Product web site: http://ergo.contourdesign.com/products/product-detail.aspx?id=49

You roll and slide the black roller for mouse movement.

Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline itlnstln

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 16:40:48 »
Novel, but I don't think that would be the optimum method for moving a pointer.

Offline FKSSR

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 16:57:08 »
I like the thought process that went into creating it, but I wouldn't want to use it.
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline D-EJ915

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 16:59:42 »
This would work great for doing abstract art and squiggly lines on the computer, imagine the fun curves you can do with it lol.

Offline lowpoly

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 17:18:00 »
It puts the pointing device near the thumbs. One of these is usually not in use. A good idea, basically. I would be interested in a review. Unfortunately, it's expensive.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline rdjack21

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 April 2009, 19:43:26 »
Did you take a look at the video on the page. It kinda shows how it is used. In the video everyone used their hand. I thought like you that you could use it with your thumb. I wonder what kind of force is required to actually move the outer sleeve.

Like every one else I don't think I would be happy with it. But it is an interesting idea.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE

Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline adamrice

• http://8stars.org/
Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 10 April 2009, 12:35:26 »
ISTR that there were a few early laptops (like early 90s) that used a smaller version of this mechanism.
Adam Rice • Japanese-English translator • 8stars.org

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 April 2009, 14:08:33 »
The Outbound (a Mac clone) came to mind when I saw those pics.

Offline ozar

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 April 2009, 14:28:46 »
This device doesn't look practical to me, but it's probably one of those things you just have to try to know for sure how well it will work for you.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 12 April 2009, 22:04:34 »
My biggest issue is that it'll require a fair amount of movement side to side, and rotating motions. The TrackPoint needs barely any movement at all.

Offline bsvP585hUO2Y6

Re: Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 June 2009, 22:15:44 »
rdjack writes:

> Now this is different from both a mouse and a track ball but more like
> a track ball than a mouse. I can't decide if I like it or not. I think
> it is a neat Idea but not sure how I would like it.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet is that it seems
prone to accidental movement when using the 'board.  The same reason I
deactivated the touchpad on my Thinkpad and prefer using the
trackpoint...  Nevertheless I probably couldn't resist testing it if I
saw it in a store :-)

regards,
andreas

Offline MsKeyboard

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 10 June 2009, 10:12:46 »
the Rollermouse Free is actually fairly intuitive, once you get used to it being there.  Like anything else that is different, there is a learning curve, but once you get past the "weird" phase, it becomes very natural to use.
I do not use one, but one of the people in our office does, and it is amazing the ease this person has moving around the screen without ever removing the fingers from the keys.
Try one if you get the chance!

PS.....there are many versions of this design out there, but this one has great quality and function.

Offline itlnstln

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 June 2009, 10:16:50 »
Nice avatar, MsKeyboard.

Offline MsKeyboard

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 10 June 2009, 10:20:23 »
Thanks!
I tried to Photoshop MM holding a 3M Renaissance mouse for grins and giggles, but did not have the skills or patience.  Maybe later......

Offline rdjack21

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 10 June 2009, 11:29:32 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;95182
the Rollermouse Free is actually fairly intuitive, once you get used to it being there.  Like anything else that is different, there is a learning curve, but once you get past the "weird" phase, it becomes very natural to use.
I do not use one, but one of the people in our office does, and it is amazing the ease this person has moving around the screen without ever removing the fingers from the keys.
Try one if you get the chance!

PS.....there are many versions of this design out there, but this one has great quality and function.

If it would fit better up against my 87U (tenkeyless) then I might be tempted to get one and try it out.
Keyboards

Offline MsKeyboard

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 10 June 2009, 12:13:03 »
If it would fit better up against my 87U

thats the problem with "solutions" like the rollermouse free.  This product is aimed at giving the user a fix to the problem of removing the hands from the keyboard.  The problem we are finding is that the typical user who would try something like this already has an ergonomic styled keyboard, which does not typically conform to the shape of this product, or any of the other similar versions.  For the most part the shape of this product should be "OK" in use with the 87U, but will not fit as seamlessly as the photo shows.

Unfortunately, when you are trying to make a product for the typical user, those with specific needs or wants generally are expected to make concessions.  Not something this group looks favorably on.  Sorry.

Rather look at that Avatar than the Fentek logo any day!!

HEY! We just changed that from the old one.  I know this group likes classics, but we thought something new would be more attractive.

As for MM, some Classics never go out of style!

Offline Bruce

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://www.keyboardco.com
Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 14 January 2010, 06:51:06 »
Hi Guys.

I know this is an old thread but i'm sitting here with Martin from Contour and he's offering a free trial to anyone in Europe who wants to review the Contour RollerMouse Pro.
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=271
Just let me know if you're interested, one only, first come first served.......
I think you'll be impressed, i'm using one now.

Bruce

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 14 January 2010, 11:48:48 »
I love mine! Trying to figure out how to incorporate it with my Kinesis Contoured. It operates far, far better than I thought it would, and the roller is extremely smooth, quiet, almost no resistance, and clicks. A couple quirks, but I don't give my mouse the time of day any longer, it seems crazy to be stretching my arm all over the place, ancient technology. I often use my thumb or index finger and thumb on scroll wheel.

I tried dumping it, but now I can't go back to anything else. I hate being hooked on things! :)

Definitely don't knock it till you try it.

Final note...

I've found one thing similar, but I have not tried it yet:
http://www.mousetrapper.co.uk/home.html
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 January 2010, 11:54:09 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline msiegel

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 15 January 2010, 01:09:52 »
fascinating... watching the RollerMouse video, i'm intrigued by its slim form (unlike trackBalls) and direct control over cursor position (unlike trackPoints)

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 16 January 2010, 18:29:03 »
I think I still like trackpoints and tracking balls better. They're good for when you need something to just work without learning how to use it.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 16 January 2010, 18:31:52 »
That's odd, I remember there being a learning curve involved with those things you mentioned...

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 17 January 2010, 09:28:21 »
Well, it depends on the trackball.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 17 January 2010, 09:45:18 »
Nope. Any new pointing device is going to have a learning curve. So telling people to use one over the other makes no sense unless you have some case for one being objectively easier to use over the other.

Offline hyperlinked

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 17 January 2010, 10:05:09 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;151473
Well, it depends on the trackball.

Everything north of a lightswitch has a learning curve.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 17 January 2010, 11:20:39 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;151492
Everything north of a lightswitch has a learning curve.

Especially for southpaws.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline msiegel

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 17 January 2010, 11:41:43 »
a lightswitch for southpaws??

brilliant!

;D

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 17 January 2010, 11:43:29 »
Sounds like you folks have some very difficult light switches over there in America...

Offline Input Nirvana

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 17 January 2010, 12:01:04 »
I suggest watching the web video again, so you can see the learning curve. If you never learn anything (something new) you'll never get anywhere, and we would still be living in caves without keyboards and pointing devices. :)

Caves are too creepy for me. :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 January 2010, 12:41:38 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 17 January 2010, 12:05:06 »
Try telling that to Mr. Beige...

Offline fastbuck

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 28 February 2010, 13:31:01 »
I have one, not the RollerMouse Free, but the original RollerMouse, and also the first version of Pro. They work well and help a lot if you have any kind of RSI or discomfort from using a regular mouse.
The original RollerMouse could be had on ebay for cheap, I actually got 2.
Keyboards: IBM Model M 1391401, CVT Avant Stellar, CVT Avant Prime, Dell AT101W, TypeMatrix 2020, Compaq MX 11800, Chicony KB-5181, IBM M-13, Chicony KB-5191, Wang 724,

Pointing devices: Contour Rollermouse & Pro, Microsoft Intellimouse Trackball, Kensington TurboBall Trackball, Evoluent Vertical Mouse, 3M Ergonomic Mouse, Zero tension mouse, MS Ergonomic Laser Mouse 6000, Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Wowpen Vertical mouse, Logitech Trackman Marble, Digital Research DRTRACK Trackball

Offline Input Nirvana

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 28 February 2010, 16:42:50 »
Do you have any problems with the left button and the roller occasionally double-clicking when they are set to only single-click? I have a Rollermouse.

Offline fastbuck

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 01 March 2010, 07:59:26 »
Quote from: input nirvana;161275
Do you have any problems with the left button and the roller occasionally double-clicking when they are set to only single-click? I have a Rollermouse.

Don't recall having this problem.
Keyboards: IBM Model M 1391401, CVT Avant Stellar, CVT Avant Prime, Dell AT101W, TypeMatrix 2020, Compaq MX 11800, Chicony KB-5181, IBM M-13, Chicony KB-5191, Wang 724,

Pointing devices: Contour Rollermouse & Pro, Microsoft Intellimouse Trackball, Kensington TurboBall Trackball, Evoluent Vertical Mouse, 3M Ergonomic Mouse, Zero tension mouse, MS Ergonomic Laser Mouse 6000, Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Wowpen Vertical mouse, Logitech Trackman Marble, Digital Research DRTRACK Trackball

Offline woebtz

• http://www.headcasegames.com
Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 01:01:56 »
I've used the RollerMouse Pro daily for the past two years. It's definitely a great mouse, good enough for me to consider replacing with the Pro2 or Free.

However, I can't help but feel slightly cheated by the build quality. Maybe my expectations of a $200 mouse are too high, but the Pro (v1) buttons feel cheap (wobbly, light plastic, and the switches require a bit of force). Could that be the source of the double-clicking? The scroll wheel is also stiff, but that may be just a matter of preference.

In spite of the negatives, cursor tracking with the rolling pin is really something else. I like to explain the feeling to my friends as pushing a puck on an air hockey table. Really slick.

-b

P.S. FYI, it is a mess using it with keyboards with deep wrist rests (MS Ergonomic 4000) and taller keyboards (Kinesis Contour).
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless CB, Apple Wired Keyboard, MS Comfort Curve 2000, Belkin n52te,
RollerMouse Pro, Ergonomic Touchpad, Magic Trackpad, Kensington Expert, Orbit Trackball w/ Scroll, IBM Scrollpoint III, Zalman FPSGun, Monster Gecko PistolMouse, Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Marble & First Pilot
[/COLOR]

Offline Input Nirvana

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 01:31:21 »
I've taken my unit apart, thinking the occasional double click was a "bounce", but it can happen with the single click button or the rollerbar. No apparent reason for it. Contour Designs says they don't know what the problem is. My unit is the original and it's pretty old.

$200 does seem $50-$70 too high. I'm not too sure how to improve the build quality, though I've thought about it.

Trying to figure out how to combine it with a Kinesis Contoured keyboard as a mod.

It's definitely the ****! I don't think I can part with it, except to get a new and improved unit.  :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 March 2010, 01:36:57 by input nirvana »

Offline jimmyjames

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 07:58:09 »
when i used the contoured keyboard, i tried to make the Rollerouse work with it, but gave up and got a goldtouch keyboard. in retrospect, i think i could have raise up the rollermouse a few inches with a cheap wrist rest or two and it may work OK.  you many also need to lower your worksurface, a bit as well.

Offline Input Nirvana

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 13:01:30 »
The Rollermouse/Pro/Free is a top shelf design in most ways. I am confident if someone has RSI issues (I don't) that it is a possible solution.

It is not meant to be used with a tall or curved keyboard. In spite of this, I use it with my Contoured just because it works so darn well and is so pleasurable to use. Also, to me, using a mouse doesn't seem to make sense (hand away from keyboard, moving arm-wrist-mouse to move curser...). Stone age age stuff. I'm more of a a trackball, trackpad, trackpoint kind of guy. You can add Rollermouse and Mousetrapper to that list as well.

The only items that annoy with the Rollermouse me are:
-Sometimes when you move the roller horizontally and it stops before the curser reaches the target. That's a mechanical function of it's design. It has micro switches when you reach the end, but I use acceleration, so the curser flies out of control. Other solutions?

CORRECTION:  Contour Designs has drivers that allow for horizontal scrolling.

My Rollermouse buttons are easy to press, and the scroll wheel is fine. Although Contour Designs is helpful, they cautioned me not to open the unit, but I found it easy to open, take apart, play with the parts, and put together. It's a very clean and simple piece of equipment, and my confidence increased after seeing the guts. You can pretty much almost make a Rollermouse Free from a Rollermouse/Pro unit. I may do that to mine. As far as going from a Rollermouse to a Rollermouse Pro, in my opinion, there doesn't seem to be much of a reason unless you are buying used at an under $100 price. Also my opinion, the Free is much more awesome if it had a $150 retail price. I would like to hear others opinions on Rollermouse verses Rollermouse Pro verses Rollermouse Free.

To clarify: My occasional non -intended "double-clicks", my unit is 10 years old, I've moved 7-8 times, and have no reason to believe that the Rollermouse wasn't used as a Frisbee by the movers on at least one occasion. I think very highly of these units.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 April 2010, 00:29:19 by input nirvana »

Offline EverythingIBM

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 14:43:39 »
Quote from: input nirvana;165628
The Rollermouse/Pro/Free is a top shelf design in most ways. I am confident if someone has RSI issues (I don't) that it is a possible solution.

I don't use my wrist when I use a normal mouse though. People just have the cursor speed too low.

If someone uses the roller mouse for 3D graphics design, or intricate pixel art, then I'll be convinced this is a good mouse.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Input Nirvana

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 14:49:58 »
You make a good point I failed to acknowledge in my earlier post: There are better/worse pointing devices to use depending on your application.

Not to mention personal preference.

Offline woebtz

• http://www.headcasegames.com
Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 14:51:04 »
My sensitivity in the Pro software is high enough that I can cross my dual screens before I reach the end of the bar's horizontal travel. I end up hitting the ends only when I mouse around too much with my other mice. The downside of the high sensitivity is that the cursor jumps a few pixels anytime I try to click with the roller or let off my hands from the roller. However, the setting didn't seem to affect the sensitivity of my other mice (trackballs).

A software solution for horizontal scrolling might be possible. I used AutoHotKey and a custom script to add vertical scrolling to my Logitech Marble Mouse (hold XButton1 and move cursor to scroll). I think with a little magic it could work for h-scrolling.

http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic4954.html

In the meantime, I think I'll look into making my own Pro -> Free with a hacksaw. :whistle:
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless CB, Apple Wired Keyboard, MS Comfort Curve 2000, Belkin n52te,
RollerMouse Pro, Ergonomic Touchpad, Magic Trackpad, Kensington Expert, Orbit Trackball w/ Scroll, IBM Scrollpoint III, Zalman FPSGun, Monster Gecko PistolMouse, Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Marble & First Pilot
[/COLOR]

Offline Input Nirvana

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 15:13:45 »
I'm a Mac user, so I don't have Autohotkey as an option. :(

I don't hit the end of the bar travel constantly by any means, but it happens, and I deal with it.

I think if you take the unit apart (and put it together again) you will have the same feel for what can be done to/with it, as I do.

Please post pictures and progress!!!!

One other item of note, I think the upgraded 1 piece wrist rest is a big improvement over the 2 piece.  $40 as an upgrade is way too pricey though, maybe for $25. I mean really, it's just a wrist rest!!

CORRECTION EDIT: $32 for 1 piece wrist rest upgrade.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 March 2010, 19:16:00 by input nirvana »

Offline hyperlinked

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 16:03:43 »
Quote from: EverythingIBM;165674
I don't use my wrist when I use a normal mouse though. People just have the cursor speed too low.

Most people use their wrist when using their mouse. This kind of mouse control is usually referred to as the palm grip and most mice are designed for this kind of grip. Sculpted ergonomic mice are especially comfortable for people who use a palm grip.

If you have your sensitivity set very high, then you're probably either a fingertip or claw grip. Instead of using your wrist, you use your finger tips to nudge the mouse around. You do use your wrist a little bit with a fingertip grip and in a claw grip, little or no wrist motion is used.

All but the most built up mice can be used comfortably with a fingertip grip. For a claw grip, you need a shorter and low profile mouse.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline EverythingIBM

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 21 March 2010, 02:25:31 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;165687
Most people use their wrist when using their mouse. This kind of mouse control is usually referred to as the palm grip and most mice are designed for this kind of grip. Sculpted ergonomic mice are especially comfortable for people who use a palm grip.

If you have your sensitivity set very high, then you're probably either a fingertip or claw grip. Instead of using your wrist, you use your finger tips to nudge the mouse around. You do use your wrist a little bit with a fingertip grip and in a claw grip, little or no wrist motion is used.

All but the most built up mice can be used comfortably with a fingertip grip. For a claw grip, you need a shorter and low profile mouse.

No, I don't claw grip, I gently rest my fingertips and "glide" the mouse where I want it to go. Sometimes I put my whole palm on a mouse, but that's only with certain mice, or, when I'm gaming.

I COULD claw grip on my apple hockey puck mouse albeit with some difficulty since my fingers are too long. But, I can only use it on my thinkcentre since the USB is right in the front flat on the table.
Believe it or not, apple made my "limited edition" graphite model in malaysia. Ooooh, not in china like the standard ones. Who wants to buy it? $500.
Keyboards: '86 M, M5-2, M13, SSK, F AT, F XT

Offline Input Nirvana

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 22 March 2010, 19:36:59 »
CORRECTION:

Contour Designs has application/drivers that are for their various pointing devices downloadable on their website. These drivers allow for horizontal scrolling with the Rollermouse as well as other nice configurable options. MAC + PC

http://ergo.contourdesign.com/support/driver-downloads/default.aspx

I have no idea how I missed this on their website before. Sorry for the misinformation. :(
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 March 2010, 19:47:13 by input nirvana »

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 23 April 2010, 22:11:08 »
Quote from: rdjack21;84644
I wonder what kind of force is required to actually move the outer sleeve.

The cylinder is effortless to move. It's easy to do by accident, especially for my trackball-accustomed fingers.

I just picked up a Roller Mouse station for dirt cheap. Its larger base extends under keyboard, deeper front-to-back than my Model M.

Right now it's happier under my space saving Model M Mini than my Kinesis contour, but that's because the roller mouse station is asymmetrical at the Kinesis width, but not at the M Mini width.

To center the Kinesis on the Roller Mouse Station, the keyboard has to extend to the left, off the 1/4 inch base. With a thin book under the left side, the Kinesis would be centered and stable.

Offline Input Nirvana

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 23 April 2010, 22:47:50 »
input nirvana prediction:

In 45 days try to switch back to a trackball/mouse.

Bet you can't.

Offline hyperlinked

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 23 April 2010, 23:01:06 »
Quote from: ricercar;175300
I just picked up a Roller Mouse station for dirt cheap.

How'd you manage that!?
-

Offline itlnstln

Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 24 April 2010, 09:36:44 »
I like bluish keys on that Kinesis.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Roller Mouse Free
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 24 April 2010, 15:53:15 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;175312
How'd you manage that!?

Howdy local. Action Computer on the east side of Lawrence Expy just south of 101. They're in the location ComputerWare used to rent (until Apple opened it's boutique shoppes and killed off the small Apple dealerhips). Action often has major-find keyboard/mouse deals in quantity. I find Goldtouch keyboards under $15 there, numpads and split-ergo models, usually in small quantities: 3-6 at a time. They get a mechanical in sometimes, I twice found a Cherry board in their $4.99 pile full of Dell/HP rubber dome cruft.

Unfortunately this Roller Mouse was a $14 one-off. It wasn't on the shelf 5 hours; they put it out between my first and second visit regarding the Cherry brown numpads.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 April 2010, 16:00:08 by ricercar »