Author Topic: DIY keyboard project case and pcb related questions  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Fozbstudios

DIY keyboard project case and pcb related questions
« on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 23:13:47 »
hello all. I'm Nick Nick and I'm new here. I'm making my own keyboard from scratch and I have a couple questions.
1. pins and pcb
 I will be using Cherry mx Browns PCB mounted with diodes. What I want to know is, does the PCB have to be raised from the case with standoffs? If it's not will the pins from the keyswitch fit all the way down?

2.spacing
how far apart should each key be on the PCB? What is the minimum distance for this?

3.case
 Do you have any general tips for cases? How high should the walls go? How many layers should I have? Any advice on case feet?

4.check
Lastly, would anyone be willing to check/look over my PCB and case design when I'm done?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: DIY keyboard project case and pcb related questions
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 14:14:39 »
hello all. I'm Nick Nick and I'm new here. I'm making my own keyboard from scratch and I have a couple questions.
1. pins and pcb
 I will be using Cherry mx Browns PCB mounted with diodes. What I want to know is, does the PCB have to be raised from the case with standoffs? If it's not will the pins from the keyswitch fit all the way down?

There has to be some space between the bottom of the case and the PCB.

2.spacing
how far apart should each key be on the PCB? What is the minimum distance for this?

Cherry keys are arranged in 0.75" squares.

3.case
 Do you have any general tips for cases? How high should the walls go? How many layers should I have? Any advice on case feet?

You've got to read around the forum more.  Also read the cherry specs.  In general the place is about 3/4" above the bottom of the case.  Then the walls extend perhaps 1/4" above the plate.  Do not take these numbers as specific measurements.

4.check
Lastly, would anyone be willing to check/look over my PCB and case design when I'm done?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

I'm sure there's lots of people here who would do so.  At this point there is a lot of experience floating around.  Many customs have been made.