Author Topic: Windows God Mode  (Read 4032 times)

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
Windows God Mode
« on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 15:12:39 »
I don't know if you guys know about this but it's really damn useful.

http://www.askvg.com/truth-behind-hidden-secret-god-mode-found-in-windows-7/

Offline MsYutai

Re: Windows God Mode
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 15:26:23 »
Rejoice! Windows 8.1 becomes slightly more bearable this day!

Really tho, thanks for the link!
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 15:45:13 »
Rejoice! Windows 8.1 becomes slightly more bearable this day!

Really tho, thanks for the link!
No problem. I too am a windows 8.1 user, now all we need is the next patch which really brings back the old start menu and we'll actually have a great OS.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 15:50:49 »
As a Windows 8.1 user and a very long term user of Win 7 and earlier versions, I don't get the need for start menu.  short cuts as well as ability to pin anything to the Start screen has been faster than the old start menu.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 16:13:54 »
Ah, so this "All Tasks" integral to NT 6.x. Good to know. I know of at least one NT 6.0 (aka Vista) installation still functioning in the wild! Haha

FYI, XP was NT 5.0, Vista was NT 6.0, Win7 was NT 6.1, Win8 is NT 6.2, and Win8.1 is NT 6.3.

Windows 8.1 is just three steps of minor revisions of Vista! :P
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 16:31:02 »
As a Windows 8.1 user and a very long term user of Win 7 and earlier versions, I don't get the need for start menu.  short cuts as well as ability to pin anything to the Start screen has been faster than the old start menu.
I agree to an extent, I've grown used to just using win+s every time i need a program or a file however I still think the metro display should be exclusive for tablets and mobiles, it doesn't fit a desktop environment very well.

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 16:36:30 »
Yeah I'm still on windows 8 and the  metro screen is kind of just there for me to press 'desktop' and maybe a couple programs

Though, I'm so used to it that a windows menu prob isn't necessary for me anymore
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 16:38:05 »
It's been working fine for me in multi-screen multitasking environment (I frequently have over 9GB of RAM used).  There are lots of shortcut combinations, and you can press the Win key and instantly get to the start screen for updating widget info or any shortcuts / program links.  I haven't missed the start menu after the first two weeks away from windows 7.  Everything else has been nicer in 8.  I had boot options to 7 and 8 (well, still do) with multiple drives and partitions, but I ended up switching fully to 8 pretty quickly.

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 16:59:32 »
It's been working fine for me in multi-screen multitasking environment (I frequently have over 9GB of RAM used).  There are lots of shortcut combinations, and you can press the Win key and instantly get to the start screen for updating widget info or any shortcuts / program links.  I haven't missed the start menu after the first two weeks away from windows 7.  Everything else has been nicer in 8.  I had boot options to 7 and 8 (well, still do) with multiple drives and partitions, but I ended up switching fully to 8 pretty quickly.
some of that instant functionality for widgets etc. will still work with the new menu afaik.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 17:21:14 »
I guess I just don't see any difference in functionality.  Seems more like people are just used to one way and don't want any changes.  Instead of searching in that field on the bottom left, the Start screen has it located on the top right.  Etc.  Appearance differences.

Offline McWilloughby

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 17:31:06 »
I think the only thing I miss from Windows 7 is how easy it was to get to the shut down button. The "hover in the top right" thing is horrible but I'm sure I'll get used to the shut down button on the metro screen at some point.

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 17:36:31 »
I guess I just don't see any difference in functionality.  Seems more like people are just used to one way and don't want any changes.  Instead of searching in that field on the bottom left, the Start screen has it located on the top right.  Etc.  Appearance differences.
I guess theres a lot about getting used to the new layout, personally I don't really care I've gotten used to windows 8 now (I've used it since its release)
What I'm hoping for though is that with the new menu the OS might not scare as many people away as it already has. Lets just hope that they add the option to keep the "old" layout in the new update.
I think the only thing I miss from Windows 7 is how easy it was to get to the shut down button. The "hover in the top right" thing is horrible but I'm sure I'll get used to the shut down button on the metro screen at some point.
Completely agree, I just do the old win+d > alt+F4

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 18:00:36 »
Alternatively, pin shutdown.exe to the start screen.  Here's mine:

Press the Windows key, click shut down. 

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 18:25:10 »
I just right click the bottom left corner on Win 8.1 to shut down.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 19:17:38 »
Can you pin windows update to the 8.1 start menu? Haven't been able to figure that one out.

But searching for everything isn't too bad... except when you search for a program you KNOW is on your drive and search won't bring it up because it wasn't formally 'installed'.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 30 April 2014, 19:41:55 »
Haven't tried it, but just found this for shortcut links

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9396-windows-update-shortcut-create-windows-8-a.html

(option 2).  Then pin the shortcut to Start.

Offline aref

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 12:49:25 »
Just set up God Mode. I also have Start8 running Windows 7-like emulation on
my 8.1 OS. God or Super Mode looks great for accessing... everything. Thanks.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 13:32:56 »

truth. also luddites. no one in IT should be afraid of change. they should embrace it. evolve or die.

going back to the golden days mentality should only be practiced by delusional republicans over 60 years old.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 13:35:25 »
I haven't seen "Godmode" in forever. Does anyone remember what OS it first appeared in?

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 02 May 2014, 23:57:30 »
I haven't seen "Godmode" in forever. Does anyone remember what OS it first appeared in?

vista. at least this particular reg key.

Offline tbc

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 01:58:28 »
the way people complain about finding a program (<1% of your computer usage time), you think that's all they do on their computer.  sacrifice improvements in the 99% just because the 1% makes you unhappy.

then again....people believe that AMD gpus are faster because they have more cores. so what the hell do i know...
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 02:05:49 »
Haven't tried it, but just found this for shortcut links

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9396-windows-update-shortcut-create-windows-8-a.html

(option 2).  Then pin the shortcut to Start.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 19:01:45 »
the way people complain about finding a program (<1% of your computer usage time), you think that's all they do on their computer.  sacrifice improvements in the 99% just because the 1% makes you unhappy.

then again....people believe that AMD gpus are faster because they have more cores. so what the hell do i know...

I don't think anyone believes amd is faster anymore.

Offline tbc

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 20:28:31 »
^ no one who knows what they're talking about.  but people fall for the more cores = more speed advertising all the time.

same thing as 'more pixels for more facebook'

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 03 May 2014, 20:31:40 »
A patch to get win 8.1 to be similar to win 7, LOL! This is the retro cool thingy.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 01:05:14 »
^ no one who knows what they're talking about.  but people fall for the more cores = more speed advertising all the time.

same thing as 'more pixels for more facebook'

4kmonitor4facebook.
cough.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline tbc

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 01:49:28 »
nice try.  i don't actually use facebook lol :p

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 04:39:45 »
Couldn't disagree more.

I use many many apps and don't want them all pinned to my taskbar (reducing it's usefulness) or as desktop icons ala most desktops in 2002.
With the win7 start menu you can at a single press search your entire machine and open any application simply by searching for it. Yes this function exists in Win8 but it's gimped because it takes over your entire screen for no reason.

While win8 is better than 7 in many areas the start menu is one area they ****ed up and went backwards. The fact most people pin icons rather than search for them highlights how poorly MS does to educate it's users

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 08:19:54 »
Couldn't disagree more.

I use many many apps and don't want them all pinned to my taskbar (reducing it's usefulness) or as desktop icons ala most desktops in 2002.
With the win7 start menu you can at a single press search your entire machine and open any application simply by searching for it. Yes this function exists in Win8 but it's gimped because it takes over your entire screen for no reason.

While win8 is better than 7 in many areas the start menu is one area they ****ed up and went backwards. The fact most people pin icons rather than search for them highlights how poorly MS does to educate it's users

In what areas do you think win8 is better than win7? I have not upgraded yet, and I am not planning to do it any time soon, unless there is actual functionality that improve the computing experience significantly. I ran the free test drive MS offered before its launch for at least 4 months, and I did not find anything worth of the pain to upgrade it. Of course, this may be related with a particular activity you do, and I do not need while at the computer.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 09:30:40 »
Couldn't disagree more.

In what areas do you think win8 is better than win7? I have not upgraded yet, and I am not planning to do it any time soon, unless there is actual functionality that improve the computing experience significantly. I ran the free test drive MS offered before its launch for at least 4 months, and I did not find anything worth of the pain to upgrade it. Of course, this may be related with a particular activity you do, and I do not need while at the computer.

From what I've read and been told by people who's opinion I value highly it runs faster than Win7 has much better boot times, has better task management and file management with much more meaningful transfer dialogue boxes being the obvious example.
I've also heard that it's a lot faster and better optimised than 7, but I'm not sure how true that is or if it makes much of a difference on a modern desktop.

Then you have the DX graphics stuff which I'm sure will be along swiftly as the new generation of consoles gets to it's feet.

To be honest I've not personally used Win8 on one of my own machines since the public test build got leaked and I hated how the start menu prioritised 'metro' apps and settings over things like control panel and how there seemed to be two sets of settings menus for no good reason.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 12:44:06 »
Windows 8.1 has better overall performance, faster boot especially on uefi gpt ssd, vastly improved ssd handling with more aggressive trim functions, storage spaces and support for ReFS, better memory management, much reduced install size which is especially nice for 2**GB or smaller SSD instals which can be made super tiny with WIMboot, onedrive account sync which is super nice for those that have multiple computers as all your profile setting are there on every machine... and believe it or not, some of the metro apps are actually pretty nice even on a desktop.
Ribbon interface is nice now that I have become accustomed to it. I'm a big fan of the default theme on 8.x and it's the first Windows version I haven't felt compelled to resource hack and mod extensively. Copy/move dialogs are much more informative, much better task manager with more detailed information
I really like 8.1 and it makes 7 feel really old to me now. I really like the start screen much better than the old start menu. If you take some time to organize things into logical program groups, and create some additional shortcuts in them for things that don't come up on search (like programs that do not require installation) it makes finding things easier. I like seeing everything at once, and not have to click though layers of stupid nesting on the old style menu. I also like live tiles but think they are currently way under utilized. I wish more programs took advantage of them to show things like when updates are available instead of running crap in the tray.
Search is also much improved as hitting the Windows key and start typing not only shows applications but user files too. It really makes no difference if it comes up full screen, as on the old way it would be in focus as well... once you start the application it goes away so I can't see how it is any kind of hindrance.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 13:40:01 »
I like live tiles and think there inclusion in the new start menu coming (I hope) for Win8 as a huge upgrade... but I see no advantage to taking my full display, especially as I'm someone who hates having full screen applications (seems alot of people spend money on huge displays only to run chrome full screen for no good reason).

The start menu isn't perfect but combined with a slightly better taskbar it's almost the perfect UI for a mouse/kb driven interface and it frustrates the living **** out of me when MS comes out with garbage like "well people don't use search from the start menu much they just pin everything to the task bar" when they literally take ZERO effort and time into educating anyone on ho powerful search became in windows post XP!!!!

>.<

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 14:15:30 »
Windows 8.1 has better overall performance, faster boot especially on uefi gpt ssd, vastly improved ssd handling with more aggressive trim functions, storage spaces and support for ReFS, better memory management, much reduced install size which is especially nice for 2**GB or smaller SSD instals which can be made super tiny with WIMboot, onedrive account sync which is super nice for those that have multiple computers as all your profile setting are there on every machine... and believe it or not, some of the metro apps are actually pretty nice even on a desktop.
Ribbon interface is nice now that I have become accustomed to it. I'm a big fan of the default theme on 8.x and it's the first Windows version I haven't felt compelled to resource hack and mod extensively. Copy/move dialogs are much more informative, much better task manager with more detailed information
I really like 8.1 and it makes 7 feel really old to me now. I really like the start screen much better than the old start menu. If you take some time to organize things into logical program groups, and create some additional shortcuts in them for things that don't come up on search (like programs that do not require installation) it makes finding things easier. I like seeing everything at once, and not have to click though layers of stupid nesting on the old style menu. I also like live tiles but think they are currently way under utilized. I wish more programs took advantage of them to show things like when updates are available instead of running crap in the tray.
Search is also much improved as hitting the Windows key and start typing not only shows applications but user files too. It really makes no difference if it comes up full screen, as on the old way it would be in focus as well... once you start the application it goes away so I can't see how it is any kind of hindrance.

Thank you for the good summary.  My thoughts and experience exactly.  I still have Windows 7 on my machine as a boot option, but the only time I ever activate it is when my mother visits to pet-sit while I'm away.  There's literally not been a time when I missed 7 for anything.  7 is also on our second desktop, and every time I use it, it feels like a step backwards.  All the arguments I've read to date seem to come from a resistance to change and also some misinformation.

Offline tbc

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 14:32:25 »
that's pretty much it isn't it?

windows 8 improved everything that could be improved.

the one point of contention is the start screen and that can be reset by a download if you refuse to change.

then people say 'why should i have to download a program?'  then i have to wonder...id you have so many programs that you need to search for any given one, that means you've installed likely dozens, so why so resistant to installing one more?

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 01:57:49 »

Just wanted to let you know:

Win + S = search box on side

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 03:41:15 »

Just wanted to let you know:

Win + S = search box on side

Show Image

That's cool, but the power of just pressing the windows key and it not only giving you a full system search but also quick access to some extra program's and control panel/network settings is pretty well unmatched.
And I don't think I've ever gone digging around in those sub menus looking for program's

Offline tooki

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 04:49:54 »
"Unmatched"? How about Mac OS X's Spotlight, which has done the same and more since 2005… Spotlight is the thing the Win 8 search is modeled on.

As for God Mode, here's what it actually does: http://brandonlive.com/2010/01/04/the-so-called-god-mode/