Author Topic: Discuss about Fujitsu FKBxxxx series  (Read 4138 times)

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
  • Professional Rubyist programmer!
    • Ruby Journal
Discuss about Fujitsu FKBxxxx series
« on: Thu, 16 April 2009, 22:59:25 »
Hi everyone,
   I am very new to Keyboard and when searching on eBay I find the vintage FKB4700 or FKB4725 are so expensive. Those keyboards are membrance and yet the price is helfty, I just need some expert explanation on this.

Website: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.fcl.fujitsu.com/release/2007/20070619.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=3&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3DLiberTouch%26num%3D50%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff
TOO MANY KEYBOARDS THAT I COULD NOT COUNT! BUT I AM STILL USING MY MODEL F77

Offline skriefal

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 April 2009, 23:25:52 »
They're membrane boards, but they're not a standard rubber-dome keyboard.  If I recall correctly, they supplement the rubber dome with a spring.  I found them to be a poor choice -- possibly even inferior to some standard rubber dome boards.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 18 April 2009, 01:08:31 »
Quote from: webwit;86126
You can have mine for $15.

Is it really that bad? Man I almost bought one of those.

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
  • Professional Rubyist programmer!
    • Ruby Journal
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 April 2009, 07:09:15 »
Are you serious? So those FKB only for collectibles right? There should be no reason why it's so expansive.

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Fujitsu-FKB4700-PS2-Keyboard_W0QQitemZ200255859272QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Cables_Adapters?hash=item200255859272&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177
TOO MANY KEYBOARDS THAT I COULD NOT COUNT! BUT I AM STILL USING MY MODEL F77

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 April 2009, 14:15:10 »
I think the LiberTouch is a completely different mechanism.

The FKB47xx uses the Peerless mechanism. Key pushes on spring pushes on rubber dome.

In an ideal world, the rubber dome will collapse before the spring compresses at all, then the spring will fall very quicky (giving decent tactility, a small amount of clickiness, no hanging on return (something blue Cherries are bad about,) fairly accurate actuation, and good overtravel,) and then compress for the end of the stroke.

The thing is, this isn't an ideal world. The spring compresses a little before the rubber dome collapses, making it a very tiring keyboard to type on. Yeah, the keys may be lower peak force than something like a blue Cherry, but their force feels like typing through mud. (But, all of the benefits of the idealized version of the mechanism are there, it's just that it feels horrible before the rubber dome collapses.)

Offline technicallyrite

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 10:48:47 »
I've been enjoying my FKB4725-t101, it's comfortable and crisp with slick travel on all but the medium length keys. Those have a bit of drag on one side because they weren't afforded stabilizer bars under them. Other than that, it's great to type on.

Mine is an AT layout with no super keys, with the usual leds embedded in certain keys. Recently I gave it a DIN5 to USB conversion internally, there's no n-key on this series. Mine was made sometime between 88 and 94 according to some clues inside the case. I couldn't stand the warm grey look so it's got a few coats of drab and black.

« Last Edit: Mon, 15 March 2010, 11:22:35 by technicallyrite »
What\'s your type?

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 11:22:58 »
Quote from: webwit;164167
Nice paint job.

Definitely.  There's none like it.  You might even call it "Peerless."

Offline technicallyrite

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 11:24:04 »
Thanks, I had reservations about Plasti-dip or paint, but went with paint in the end and am glad I did.
What\'s your type?

Offline technicallyrite

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 11:34:27 »
What would be nice is a tenkeyless one of these.
What\'s your type?

Offline fastbuck

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 12:26:42 »
Quote from: technicallyrite;164164
I've been enjoying my FKB4725-t101, it's comfortable and crisp with slick travel on all but the medium length keys. Those have a bit of drag on one side because they weren't afforded stabilizer bars under them. Other than that, it's great to type on.

Mine is an AT layout with no super keys, with the usual leds embedded in certain keys. Recently I gave it a DIN5 to USB conversion internally, there's no n-key on this series. Mine was made sometime between 88 and 94 according to some clues inside the case. I couldn't stand the warm grey look so it's got a few coats of drab and black.

Show Image

So one review say it's like typing on mud, and another says it's nice and crisp. What to believe?

Now I have to get one, just to find out for myself :)
Keyboards: IBM Model M 1391401, CVT Avant Stellar, CVT Avant Prime, Dell AT101W, TypeMatrix 2020, Compaq MX 11800, Chicony KB-5181, IBM M-13, Chicony KB-5191, Wang 724,

Pointing devices: Contour Rollermouse & Pro, Microsoft Intellimouse Trackball, Kensington TurboBall Trackball, Evoluent Vertical Mouse, 3M Ergonomic Mouse, Zero tension mouse, MS Ergonomic Laser Mouse 6000, Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Wowpen Vertical mouse, Logitech Trackman Marble, Digital Research DRTRACK Trackball

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 March 2010, 13:01:35 »
My experience was that the small keys felt very good, while the larger keys and those you have to reach for did not feel good because you aren't pressing them perfectly straight up and down.  This switch binds/sticks a little in that case.  They have an excellent audible click, maybe a favorite, but the variation in key feel across the board was too much for me.

I haven't tried a Libertouch yet.
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 10:46:40 »
I think the peerless force graph speaks for itself
keyboards!

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 10:52:03 »
actually, typing on the peerless feels like this:

keyboards!

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 16 March 2010, 20:45:31 »
Quote from: webwit;164473
very nice tactile feeling when you pound your fists

I find this true for Model Ms too. Afterwards you can give away the key caps on Geekhack, and gain Whuffie.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Bruce

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://www.keyboardco.com
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 17 March 2010, 03:48:14 »
I like these.
We've got an FKB-4725 still in use here in the office. I go with nice and crisp, I like them. The guy using it has stuck with it despite all other temptations. It must be 10 years old now and still feels great. Shame we can't get them any more.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 20 March 2010, 18:45:16 »
There's actually a few places (in the US, oddly) selling FKB4726-602s, which are a very minor revision of the UK layout FKB4725, if that's your thing.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 21 March 2010, 03:47:45 »
What about ?
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.