Author Topic: DAS Ultimate for multiple keyboard layouts and OS X/Linux?  (Read 742 times)

Offline kerpiM

DAS Ultimate for multiple keyboard layouts and OS X/Linux?
« on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 01:15:29 »
Hi everyone, so far I haven't much given a thought about keyboards but now I want to buy a mechanical keyboard. However, I have rather specific needs in terms of operating system and keyboard layout:

I need to use both an US and a German keyboard layout, depending on my type of work and I would like to use my keyboard on both Linux and OS X. For OS X I want to use the OS X specific function keys (Volume Controls, etc.).

To get all this in one keyboard I think about buying a DAS Ultimate keyboard and switching the keyboard layout between US and German in the operating system as required. Since the Ultimate does not have key labels I hope not to get confused when I use it in either German or US layout and see the wrong key labels.

But can I configure the function keys on the keyboard to take care of the OS X specific controls when I am working on my Mac? Has anyone experience with such a setup? Or do you recommend another keyboard?

Price range: up to 150$ Numpad: I would want a keyboard without but that's not a hard requirement

Thanks in advance