Author Topic: [IC] A keycap set for Smallfry's birthday. Nathan's Birthday Set.  (Read 6814 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
I'd like to run a quick mini-buy for Nathan's birthday. Every set purchase will include a donation to the Nathaniel J. Walter foundation, a 501c3 being set up by Smallfry's family to fund scholarships for eagle scout projects in the northern wisconsin chapter.

The color scheme I've settled on will probably be SP ABS codes RBC text on RA keys, DCS profile, using the cherry font legends. The set will also include a single dyesubbed white DCS PBT key dyesubbed with Nathan's avatar, and a friends and family logo 1.25x modifier and 1.5x modifier.

The color scheme is based on a model M122 that was one of Nathan's favorite keyboards. He received it as an attic find from a family member and then rit dyed the keys himself. He was extremely proud of this keyboard, and we will always be proud of him.

63955-0

I am going to try to run this GB as quickly as possible to attempt to get production and delivery as close to Nathan's birthday as possible. Hence, the kits available will only be the standard 104-key with Tsangan and ISO addons. I will be discussing with Nathan's father the amount held for donation to The Nathaniel J Walter foundation.
RBC:

RA:

« Last Edit: Thu, 15 May 2014, 06:44:36 by iMav »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: [IC] A keycap set for Smallfry's birthday. Nathan's Birthday Set.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 10:37:15 »
Count me in on this one. I miss my friend.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 10:37:33 »
we all do. :(

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 10:40:03 »
In addition to participating, I am happy to help organize this.

I think the set would look great, and be a constant reminder to all of us who have extremely fond memories of Nathan.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 10:48:25 »
The dyesubbed key should be available separately from the set.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 10:50:52 »
definite possibility. however, for simplicity of ordering, we will make purchasing of that key alone a separate matter from this set GB

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 11:01:32 »
Absolutely interested in this.
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 11:04:25 »
So is this going to be a group buy only or will it be sold at retail at some point?

My feelings is no one should make money off of this set except whatever extra goes to help the foundation that was setup.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 11:07:11 »
well, SP is going to make money. i will try my best to break even (i can't afford to lose money on this right now). i'd like to direct all other proceeds to the NJW foundation, but i have to talk to largefry about the where the foundation is currently.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 11:09:39 »
well, SP is going to make money. i will try my best to break even (i can't afford to lose money on this right now). i'd like to direct all other proceeds to the NJW foundation, but i have to talk to largefry about the where the foundation is currently.

Yeah I get that I was just thinking about techkeys since i3oilermaker piped up about helping.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 11:10:23 »
I got mkawa's back - and can help front for production costs.  Every dime of profit needs to go to NJW.  I might even auction off some items in addition to help make that contribution larger.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 11:11:39 »
also, sneak announcement: i can't afford to lose money on this, because i just bought another robot for the community. i've purchased a small CNC mill for fine detail work that the printer (smallfry's bot) cannot accomplish. more investment is needed for that to come to fruition, but it is capable of cutting materials up to and including steel for the community. that brings our robot count up to two. inviting names for the second bot, which, again, i'd like to dedicate to smallfry, friends and family and the kindness, acuity and and dedication to quality and tinkering that we attempt to uphold in this community every day in his memory.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 11:12:39 »
i'm going to let the responses accumulate for a bit, as posting all this has hit me pretty hard.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 11:17:54 »

Yeah I get that I was just thinking about techkeys since i3oilermaker piped up about helping.

I understand where you are coming from, with regard to cooperation between Vendors, GB organizers, and forum staff. I really do.

And let me add this in the way of disclaimer: I am not exactly forum "staff" as in a mod or admin. I am a Keeper of the Faith. I have no connection to i3oilermaker or TechKeys, other than I buy his products. I am not being compensated in any way for my opinions or comments.

From what I know of i3oilermaker and TechKeys, when he does "community" buys and sales, he has always been very transparent about the costs and prices. He has done these types of not-for-profit, charity fundraising sales before, and as far as I know, he has donated every cent above actual costs to the expected beneficiary. So I don't think we need to worry if i3oilermaker offers to help organize the sales and/or distribution of product and/or monies.

SP will of course be making their cut, but there isn't anything that can be done about the manufacturer turning a profit for everything they sell.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 11:55:56 »
While I would love to get in on this I don't think I can float the money at this time.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 11:57:55 »
I'm in. I'd also like to see extra that cap separate from the set.

Edit: For those who don't know and are curious, Nate's birthday was 7/11.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 May 2014, 12:00:37 by CPTBadAss »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 12:04:34 »
  :'(

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 12:16:26 »
RIP SmallFry
Nathaniel John Walter
7/11/1996 - 6/29/2013

in memoriam

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 12:23:38 »
Count me in on this one. I miss my friend.

Ditto... I'll take a set as well.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 12:42:04 »
okay please hear me out.

I like the idea of doing something for his birthday but there is something in my gut that tells me this is not it. to be perfectly honest, it just strikes me as kind of tacky. i don't mean to call anybody else tacky here -- i am all for a commemoration but i'm just not sure that tying this in with his eagle scout fund or as some sort of 'perk' memorial -- it doesn't feel right.

i don't mean to sound too cranky. i just tend to overthink things like this and i have my doubts. after i eat some food i will try to expand on my thoughts.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 12:46:06 »
please do

it was kind of a spur of the moment idea and kind of not. i have been wanting to make a set for nathan for a year, and with the anniversary of his life and passing coming up quickly, i settled on this.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 13:07:26 »
well i realize i don't need to like it for it to happen, nor does me participating or not really make much of a difference, nor does it being affiliated with geekhack in anyway, to be honest. my stamp of approval is irrelevant here.
 i'm not sure how much more i really can expand on it other than i just don't really think 'things' that some people get the chance to own serve as appropriate or respectful memorials. i'm all for some kind of public work, or even just soliciting direct donations to his eagle scout fund, but using the keycap set to get more people to donate (because that could realistically be a factor) seems kinda icky to me, because it's not really about raising money (although that's a nice thing), it's about remembering our friend.

i would also hate to see some kind of limited edition item made in his honor make its way into the collector pool. i can, really, have to tolerate that kind of stuff as a fact of life around here when it comes to clacks and other small vendors, but do acknowledge that if something is made, it can and probably will be resold on GH or elsewhere. my personal desire for a set of keycaps does not outweigh SmallFry's memory, and i do think that most people that would actually buy this set that knew SmallFry would be buying it for the "right reasons", emphatically including everyone in this thread so far but to me it's just not worth it.

again to reiterate i don't think that most people participating in this would turn around and sell the caps but if one does that's enough to bum me out.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 May 2014, 13:09:39 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 13:50:25 »
smallfry was a really inclusive person, and he didn't like things to be super limited or expensive. he fact, he loved this hobby and accumulated some really great material stuff that he treasured, but he felt that learning things was more important than just collecting things. he traded services for much of his collection. one of his last projects that we saw was his lube station for perfecting other people's MX switches in exchange for items that interested him and that he could tinker with. he was also a huge proponent of the cherry legend project and he _loved_ red.

i don't know if that's a satisfactory answer but that's all i've got right now.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 14:23:04 »
I am 100% in for this.  Not much more to say, other than I love the idea, I love the keyset (M122 really does look splendid), and now I'm sad.

While I would love to get in on this I don't think I can float the money at this time.

I've got your order covered, Melvang, don't worry about it.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 16:15:40 »
I am 100% in for this.  Not much more to say, other than I love the idea, I love the keyset (M122 really does look splendid), and now I'm sad.

Hoffman, all I can say is thank you.  And please pm me your snail mail address.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline pasph

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 16:47:10 »
Please include the chance to make just a donation without buying the set
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 18:51:54 »
Please include the chance to make just a donation without buying the set

+1

And Hoffman don't worry about pming me your address, I already have it.

Offline duq

• Connoisseur
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 21:44:36 »

I'd like to run a quick mini-buy for Nathan's birthday. Every set purchase will include a donation to the Nathaniel J. Walter foundation, a 501c3 being set up by Smallfry's family to fund scholarships for eagle scout projects in the northern wisconsin chapter.

The color scheme I've settled on will probably be SP ABS codes RBC text on RA keys, DCS profile, using the cherry font legends. The set will also include a single dyesubbed white DCS PBT key dyesubbed with Nathan's avatar, and a friends and family logo 1.25x modifier and 1.5x modifier.

The color scheme is based on a model M122 that was one of Nathan's favorite keyboards. He received it as an attic find from a family member and then rit dyed the keys himself. He was extremely proud of this keyboard, and we will always be proud of him.

(Attachment Link)

I am going to try to run this GB as quickly as possible to attempt to get production and delivery as close to Nathan's birthday as possible. Hence, the kits available will only be the standard 104-key with Tsangan and ISO addons. I will be discussing with Nathan's father the amount held for donation to The Nathaniel J Walter foundation.
RBC:

Show Image

RA:

Show Image

I'm in.
RIP Small Fry

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 01:58:02 »

Hoffman, all I can say is thank you.  And please pm me your snail mail address.

Not a problem at all.  Would hate to see you miss such a special set because of that.

And Hoffman don't worry about pming me your address, I already have it.

:thumb:

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 07:11:19 »
I'm in.

Please allow an option to increase the donation per order.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 12:52:04 »
we've changed this up a bit. instead, we're going to run a jd40 group buy. complete keyboards, with simple assembly options if you can't build them yourself, and each jd40 will come with a set of red on red caps specifically made for the jd40

link to the new IC: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58037.0
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 May 2014, 13:01:18 by mkawa »