Author Topic: Shine on PBT Key caps?  (Read 10314 times)

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
Shine on PBT Key caps?
« on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 14:46:02 »
So I purchased black on black dye sub PBT key caps about a year ago and I am noticing shine on the WASD cluster and left shift.

I spent the money not only for the look, but for the quality of plastic. I was under the impression that PBT key caps do not get shine to them like ABS does. Was I incorrect in thinking this way? Or did I get bad quality or fake PBTs?

I purchased them from Feng.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Shine on PBT Key caps?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 14:50:30 »
Pictures?

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 17:09:47 »
I was under the impression that PBT key caps do not get shine to them like ABS does. Was I incorrect in thinking this way? Or did I get bad quality or fake PBTs?

PBT key caps do shine over time, they just take longer to shine than ABS would with your fingers.

Depending on various factors (how often you use particular keys, skin chemistry, etc) the length of time it takes to shine will vary.
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 17:10:52 »
How many hours of gaming do you do a day?  :))
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Rafen

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 18:30:06 »
How many hours of gaming do you do a day?  :))

Was thinking the same thing, lol.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 18:32:27 »
Not having clean hands plays a huge part in keycaps shining. Greasy fingers is one major thing, I have "greasy" or "oily" skin so I try to wash my hands before using my board so that my keycaps will last longer than.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 18:42:27 »
I do game quite a bit, but between work, a girlfriend and the often desire to get drunk with the crew; I probably don't game as much as you'd think from the shine.

I would say I game about 15 hours a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I gamed a lot more when I was raiding top 25 in WoW but even just 3 days a week at 12 hours and needing to be on regardless of desire became too much for me.

As for the oily skin part; I definitely have oily skin. I don't have acne or anything like that, but my skin is definitely not dry. However, it is funny the above poster mentioned washing his hands. I wash my hands probably too much and I won't even touch my keyboard without washing my hands first and periodically doing so during sessions as I hate using my keyboard with anything but bone-dry/smooth fingertips. Hell, I just got done removing all my keys, scrubbing around the switches with a toothbrush and dusting the crevices with a q-tip.

I'm not OCD or anything, but I definitely take care of my stuff. Which is why the shine in just a year is concerning to me. Is there less chance of shine with the thick PBTs?

P.S. Thanks for the replies. I didn't know PBTs can shine and really appreciate the insight fellas.

EDIT: I'll get the keys that had the shine and take some pics. I took them off as soon as I noticed it and replaced them with my red PBT WASD cluster. I forgot I had them and it actually made the board look sweet with the back-light. I will take a picture of the Shift key now though.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 May 2014, 18:45:41 by OnTheBrink »

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 19:13:20 »
Here is a picture of the shine on the left shift key if you can see it to the right of the key. I tried to get it at as good of an angle as possible where you can spot the shine. It's obviously more prominent in person.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 19:19:53 »
Here is a picture of the shine on the left shift key if you can see it to the right of the key. I tried to get it at as good of an angle as possible where you can spot the shine. It's obviously more prominent in person.

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 19:26:39 »
I have an IBM Model M that I got, used, from Clickykeyboards.com and the keycaps are as shiny and smooth as glass. PBT may be more durable than ABS, but it will still show signs of wear just like ABS does.

I was under the impression that PBT key caps do not get shine to them like ABS does. Was I incorrect in thinking this way? Or did I get bad quality or fake PBTs?

PBT key caps do shine over time, they just take longer to shine than ABS would with your fingers.

Depending on various factors (how often you use particular keys, skin chemistry, etc) the length of time it takes to shine will vary.

This guy has it right.
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 May 2014, 19:38:05 by smknjoe »
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 19:40:49 »
The point of mechanical keyboards is that you can just replace the keys when they shine and then your keyboard will feel as new. I wouldn't worry too much about it as replacement keycaps are easily available, unless you are on Topre.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 19:44:02 »
The point of mechanical keyboards is that you can just replace the keys when they shine and then your keyboard will feel as new. I wouldn't worry too much about it as replacement keycaps are easily available, unless you are on Topre.

Nah, I am on Reds, even thought I have my first Topre in the mail. (super excited)

However, replacement keys are expensive and I'd rather put that money towards a new board over keys I already own. Especially if I just need to replace a few. Which is why I'd like to know if thick PBTs don't shine as fast. Any thoughts?

Offline Rafen

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 20:31:31 »
Not sure about the Thick PBT keycaps, but what Topre board did you end up getting? :p

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 21:10:05 »
The pictures don't seem to work

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 21:14:11 »
i don't see any pics.

and they definitely do shine. I had a used hhkb pro 2 for a bit and I noticed that a few of the keys were already shiny. otherwise, I've never had a keyset of mine go shiny yet, since I have extremely dry hands and wash my hands obsessively (both of which are unhealthy, lol).

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 22:55:01 »
Mine have shined very slightly and I do a fair bit of gaming, the shine is not nearly as bad as abs caps ive had. I do however try and keep the keycaps and my hands clean. Did you try wiping them with a disinfectant wipe? Dunno if they're 'plastic safe' but I've used these for my whole keyboard for a while now and haven't noticed anything bad.

Your pictures didn't work (use imgur.com). Is it possible the keycaps are just greasy/dirty?
« Last Edit: Sun, 11 May 2014, 22:57:43 by Lu_e »

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 23:03:25 »
Sorry guys, here is a working link to the image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qnjt24q547n9fpm/Shift%20Shine.jpg

Offline Pinder

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 16:20:49 »
Not having clean hands plays a huge part in keycaps shining. Greasy fingers is one major thing, I have "greasy" or "oily" skin so I try to wash my hands before using my board so that my keycaps will last longer than.

..You wash your hand every time before using your keyboard?
sometimes i'm on my computer typing before ive even opened my eyes properly
65g zealios ergodox infinity

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 16:52:27 »

Yep. Even during the weekends when I am not working I have a morning ritual. Wake up, immediately wash my face, hands and brush my teeth. Get my coffee and sit in my computer room.

Offline Pinder

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 17:02:49 »

Yep. Even during the weekends when I am not working I have a morning ritual. Wake up, immediately wash my face, hands and brush my teeth. Get my coffee and sit in my computer room.

i need to get a routine that i follow. Its just natural for me to get up and sit on a computer straight away D:
65g zealios ergodox infinity

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 17:10:54 »

i need to get a routine that i follow. Its just natural for me to get up and sit on a computer straight away D:

I use to be like that. I use to also like being on my PC late night. Now I have this routine and I purposely pass out at 1am because I love waking up really early and enjoying the morning at my PC.

I have no idea how I ended up becoming to complete opposite of myself, lol.