Author Topic: I'm hooked  (Read 1761 times)

Offline jmolino

• Some folks look for answers,others look for fights
I'm hooked
« on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 20:48:06 »
I guess I do have an addictive personality, but I never thought computer keyboards would be one of my 'vices'.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm a "keyboard" player (music, that is.... specifically - I'm a Hammond "B3" - a vintage electric organ- enthusiast).

Anyways, I started out with "ergo" keyboards probably 10 years ago (for me it was the Microsoft 4000 nothing special)...but with those, I've had a few.... and finally my last one broke on me about 1 month ago.

So I went searching around for replacement keyboards and started learning about "mechanical" keyboards and it opened up this whole world to me.  In the last month I've purchased about 10 different boards....let's see... started with the CM Storm MX test kit, and a Microsoft Sculpt just because it was new...., then it went: Corsair Vengeance K70 (MX Blue - too soft and wobbly), CM Storm QF TK (MX Green  v. nice!), Logitech K350 (meh), IBM Model M #42H1292 (well yeah it is what it is...great!), Code 87 Key (MX Green bout the same as the CM really...), Code 104 (MX Green - for office ppl), Northgate Omnikey Evolution Keyboard (still in the mail)

....then I learned about Topre...

and since I'm a linux sysadmin, do a bit of coding, etc I decided on a HHKB (still getting used to the layout), and I'm planning on a 55g Realforce (v. soon).

But I have to say.... I'm pretty stoked about Topre....the keys are just fantastic!

So I can see myself getting into modd'ing w/ my Topre boards.... I have the black HHKB case (thinking about white/grey blanks w/ some color in the navigation cluster and escape...nothing fancy.

Also, I'm looking forward to the new Matias Ergo Pro (still haven't tried their "alps style keys") ... and the TECH Ergo board that is coming out in Aug w/ MX Clears ( I really do like ergo boards)....

I'm very interested to see what a "columnar" layout board would be like....

My Holy Grail board would be:

- Split keyboard, ergonomic
- "Tentable"
- Topre 55g keys
- Backlit (I like to key at night)
- Columnar
- Built in Palm support.
- Wireless (bluetooth preferrably)

Basically I think it would be the Truly Ergonomic board w/ Topre keys in a bluetooth model

So I probably will not ever get what I want, but one can dream....

So I've heard about the ErgoDox, but I'm not "solder-savvy", and I"m not sure you can put Topre's in there....

That's about it... I have to say... you guys are nuts! (in a good way!  but I should talk ...having read all 76 pages of "post your topre board pics" LOL) hahah!

Good to be here!

-John
(p.s I don't really do forums that much....is it not cool to use your real name? should I adopt some moniker or something?  Probably doesn't matter if you don't post a ton but...)

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
Re: I'm hooked
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 21:01:17 »
Welcome to your demise!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:33:26 »
Sadly there are no custom keyboards with Topre at the moment (if I am wrong someone PLEASE correct me). Most custom boards you will find such as the Ergodox are made for Cherry MX switches - there may be a few that also support alps.

The problem is Topre switches revolve around carefully placed conductive springs with rubber domes that must be held in place. Unfortunately these are not self contained units and must be kept together in some other way. For instance the keys of the hhkb are literally held in place by the plastic case.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:36:53 »
Sadly there are no custom keyboards with Topre at the moment (if I am wrong someone PLEASE correct me). Most custom boards you will find such as the Ergodox are made for Cherry MX switches - there may be a few that also support alps.

The problem is Topre switches revolve around carefully placed conductive springs with rubber domes that must be held in place. Unfortunately these are not self contained units and must be kept together in some other way. For instance the keys of the hhkb are literally held in place by the plastic case.

Show Image

WRONG

that is not why you can''t have custom topre

The main reason is the PCB

The capacitive nature of topre was only made after lots of testing to get the PCB sensors calibrated the correct way. DIYing a topre would take way to long and way to expensive for just one not mass produced keyboard

Making a plate for topre is mindless in comparison

Offline Smasher816

• HHKB Master
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 22:43:34 »
I guess was correct about there not being custom topre keyboards, I just had the wrong reason. I stand corrected.

Offline jmolino

• Some folks look for answers,others look for fights
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 02:06:08 »
Wouldn't a "ErgoDox" like open-design project be the perfect vehicle for the birthing of a split ergonomic Topre keyboard though? 

Really, half of it would already be done (the software/firmware/parts that can be cross utilized), and the other half is hardware engineering like you said (which I know ZERO about mind you).

I do bet if you took a poll here and asked how many people would back in some way an "ErgoDome" project (TM'ing that  :cool:) people would go bananas over it...and we might even be able to raise money to have an engineering firm design it and release it to the public.

Just a thought...

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 14:27:57 »
What's Up Zane
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 17:03:08 »
YOU CAN'T ESCAPE!!!!!!

Offline Raddam

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 20:22:37 »
I'm hooked to the mechanical keyboard world too! Welcome to the forums.