Author Topic: On the difficulties of changing layouts often.  (Read 2236 times)

Offline romeovs

On the difficulties of changing layouts often.
« on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 08:17:46 »
I'm interested in buying a pro keyboard for the first time.

I've heard good stuff about the HHKB pro 2 especially about it's awesome layout.
As a *nix programmer this speaks to my interests but I have one issue though.

I'm planning to use the HHKB at when I'm at my desk mostly but
when I'm on the road (I take the train every day) I'm stuck with my apple laptop with
it's built in ISO QWERY keyboard.

What are your experiences with switching between keyboard layouts often?
Is it worth it to buy the HHKB or is it easier to stick with my wireless apple keyboard
at my desk (which has the same layout as my laptop).

I'm not necessarily worried about the ISO / ANSI switch but also some other quirks
(that presumable make the HHKB so great) like the location of the [~`] button.

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
Re: On the difficulties of changing layouts often.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 08:27:16 »
My main board is a HHKB Pro 2 (ANSI) and in school I also just use a regular laptop keyboard (ISO), I would say it takes me about 5 minutes to adjust every time I change board.

it's probably something that different from person to person, it depends on how well you "store" different layouts in your brain.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 08:31:29 »
If you're anything like me, you shouldn't have a problem at all. I switch between ISO and HHKB-ANSI all the time, I don't even need time to adjust. After using my HHKB for the first time, and then going back to ISO I must say it was a bit tricky, but after switching back and forth a couple of times it's like clockwork.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline romeovs

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 08:31:38 »
I must say I have hardly any difficulties switching between Azerty and Qwerty (except for me loathing azerty).
But this might be because they are different enough that my brain can recognise which layout I'm using.

The difference between HHKB-ANSI and ISO is so small that it might be trickier to switch.
Ideally I would just mod my laptop (or a future laptop I have with ANSI) to look more like the hhkb.

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 08:45:29 »
I must say I have hardly any difficulties switching between Azerty and Qwerty (except for me loathing azerty).
But this might be because they are different enough that my brain can recognise which layout I'm using.

The difference between HHKB-ANSI and ISO is so small that it might be trickier to switch.
Ideally I would just mod my laptop (or a future laptop I have with ANSI) to look more like the hhkb.
That would help I believe, before I got my HHKB i changed caps lock to control on all my keyboards including my laptops, I forgot to mention that.

However I don't think you'll have any problem switching from ISO to ANSI,
you may accidentally press enter instead of backspace a couple of times but that should be about it.

all in all the HHKB is a board worth the "hassle" imo. :)

Offline y_pe

• y_pe
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 09:11:13 »
my solution to this problem was to buy the type-s from japan (cheaper) and the hhkb carrying case...i am constantly on the move, and spend more time coding away from my desk on the train, a random cafe, etc...i had the same worry about switching, and as others have mentioned it's an easy switch between ISO and dr. wada madness

the only key i find i struggle with from time to time is the tilde (which makes for some funny random terminal madness)

I'd say if the only reason you're not getting it is worries about the layout, then buy it, the layout seems more weird then it really is...once i got mine i haven't been able to stop using it, and the laptop keyboard feels wrong
HHKB 2 Pro Type-S: white, non-printed
Filco MJ2: Dark Purple, MX Blues

Offline hjkl_over_wasd

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 09:35:05 »
I have dual-role mappings for caps-lock (esc/ctrl), which frees up the esc key and I can have `~ where it belongs, next to 1. I use that key a lot for both shell sessions and vim, so I don't like keyboard manufacturers bullying and pushing it around all the time.

Check this link for more details: http://stevelosh.com/blog/2012/10/a-modern-space-cadet/

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 12:38:30 »
I have bundles of keyboards, from Ergo to compact to full-size to bigger than full-size, so I am switching between layouts on a regular basis.  To throw another loop, I switch between QWERTY and Maltron layouts almost everyday. 

The hardest thing about it all is attempting to learn how to use a new keyboard.  But once I become proficient with that keyboard, I can switch between them very easily.  It just takes a few days or so.

What helps is having the flexibility in your life to take some time to learn a new keyboard or layout.  If your job does not have enormous pressure and you can struggle for a week or two learning the new keyboard or layout, then go for it.  Once you are proficient, there is no downside.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline romeovs

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 05:28:24 »
I have dual-role mappings for caps-lock (esc/ctrl), which frees up the esc key and I can have `~ where it belongs, next to 1. I use that key a lot for both shell sessions and vim, so I don't like keyboard manufacturers bullying and pushing it around all the time.

Check this link for more details: http://stevelosh.com/blog/2012/10/a-modern-space-cadet/

Ha! It was this article that got me into looking for a decent keyboard! I haven't looked at the key remapping part though - I will do this promptly.

Offline slip84

• GUYDUDE MAGICIAN
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 15 May 2014, 10:37:06 »
I switch between three keyboards regularly throughout my day. They are the following to give you an idea of what my brain is contending with:

• Work - Windows 7 - HHKB (switches 2/3 on, the rest off)
  • Internet - OS X Mavericks - Alternate between Apple BT aluminum board and HHKB (switches 2/3 on, the rest off)
  • Gaming/internet - Windows 8 - Poker II (all switches off)

The only issue I have is that SOMETIMES I pound the \ key on my Poker II like it's a backspace. Apart from that, my brain makes the change almost instantly. I'm between the Apple board and HHKB throughout the whole day and switch to the HHKB / Poker II in the evening while I game and the HHKB is on my Mac. It took me a few days to get them all straight in my head, but it was pretty painless. The slash thing is the only thing I do from time to time now.