Author Topic: Name that space-saver?  (Read 6459 times)

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
Name that space-saver?
« on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 20:01:22 »
I bought a space saving Model M on ebay last night for $77, but the auction is pretty vague. Could anyone name the part number of this board just from a bad picture? It's either an '87 or '88, and has the white logo (as all 87 and 88s did I suppose).

Offline bigpook

Name that space-saver?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 20:29:57 »
judging from the pitcure, you got it from scary garcia?
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
Name that space-saver?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 20:36:19 »
yep. Scarry-garcia needs to invest in a digital camera manufactured within the last decade.

Offline bigpook

Name that space-saver?
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 20:39:36 »
yeah, I think its a "stock" photo for him. Its funny that I recognized it. I spend too much time on ebay I guess.

Offline bigpook

Name that space-saver?
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 20:56:09 »
the question is if the model m mini that you are getting is the one that is actually in the picture. I have had ok luck buying used mini's on e-bay. NIB is the way to go, but they can get stupid expensive pretty quick.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
Name that space-saver?
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 21:01:28 »
Oof, I really don't like the idea of having bought something from a stock photo. And to make it worse, he doesn't seem to respond to emails.

Offline skriefal

Name that space-saver?
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 21:02:44 »
Ah yes... Scarry-Garcia.  If it isn't a standard 101-key layout, he'll label it a "hacker" keyboard.  :rolleyes:

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
Name that space-saver?
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 21:06:39 »
oh no, is this guy is some kind of legendary freak?

Offline D-EJ915

Name that space-saver?
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 21:14:52 »
well he is scarry

Offline skriefal

Name that space-saver?
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 21:16:36 »
Nothing like that.  But he does have a tendency to label keyboards as "hacker style" and then place high buy-it-now prices on them.  He's been trying to sell off common Cherry G84-4100 keyboards as "Vintage Micro Mini Cherry Hacker Style AT Keyboard" for $50 for quite some time, when they often show up for $20 or so from other sellers (and aren't "vintage", either).  But I haven't heard of anyone actually having a problem with a purchase from him.

Offline bigpook

Name that space-saver?
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 21:17:05 »
don't know but with a name like that I visualize some overweight hippy, with a tin of ben & jerries, and some grateful dead playing in the background. there could be a fair amount of "smoke" in the room at any given time...hey look, its one of them keyboards without a numpad....

Offline skriefal

Name that space-saver?
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 21:19:53 »

Offline ozar

Name that space-saver?
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 21:20:20 »
The seller's feedback isn't all that bad and he's been around for a long time, so maybe it will all work out well in the end.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
Name that space-saver?
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 21:38:50 »
A match made in heaven...except for the overweight hippie thing, and the scars. I need to get a new avatar if that's the impression I'm giving, maybe lord Shiva standing on a keyboard?

Offline bigpook

Name that space-saver?
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 24 April 2009, 22:33:40 »
I loved that movie.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
Name that space-saver?
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 25 April 2009, 11:56:06 »
That 'board looks like a standard 1391472, btw.

I missed your reply among the jokes last night, thanks!

You mean we're smokin' keyboard dust, man?

The thought of a keyboard-chow cigarette is disturbing to say the least! :painkiller:

Offline Des

Name that space-saver?
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 25 April 2009, 19:59:16 »
Heh..  So It was you who bought this.  funny.
You see that is the auction that led me here ,  (and another space saver a few weeks before that on a local auction site).

Because I found myself thinking about buying this and another before it to start change out a few regular  M's  I came to search for alternatives. And In the process found this forum, and started "study'ing".
Ultimatly I have been using M's forever. Well, since I left the Amiga behind anyway. But now with a resent hardware upgrade with all my computers they stand out so to speak, to much.

yea, Of topic, I just thought it was to funny not to ad. :)

*edit:
Actually when Putting My Amiga 1200 In a tower case, I do remember using an Model M now that I think about it ^^  so exept for a Mac 1 keyboard i´ve only used Model M's until, soon I Hope.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 April 2009, 21:48:01 by Des »

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
Name that space-saver?
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 25 April 2009, 20:57:11 »
Small world! It doesn't surprise me that the competition was hanging out here :) Actually I may have been doing you a favor by buying it; we'll have to see exactly what it is that I got. The stock picture was from 2004, and this scarry garcia still hasn't responded to my simple questions.

Offline Des

Name that space-saver?
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 25 April 2009, 21:50:15 »
Quote from: nowsharing;87319
Small world! It doesn't surprise me that the competition was hanging out here :) Actually I may have been doing you a favor by buying it; we'll have to see exactly what it is that I got. The stock picture was from 2004, and this scarry garcia still hasn't responded to my simple questions.

Outch, sorry to hear about it :/   well Atelast you got it cheap enough.  Being close to starting to bid for it I had readied myself to go atelast to 120.
But then i got caught up in a wish to move onto something new for a change.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
Name that space-saver?
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 05:03:40 »
Nowsharing, nice new Avatar!    Makes it harder to make those stoner jokes though....
Thanks, that's what I was going for actually :)

Has he shipped yet?

I don't think so...although it's hard to know. He responded on sunday night saying that it's an '87, and that he would email me "later" with the part #. I actually won't see this keyboard in person until late july, so a friend will be giving it a go over for me. I would have preferred a better seller for such a bold purchase, but the risk is part of what made it such a good price.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
Name that space-saver?
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 28 April 2009, 17:02:56 »
I was really counting on this new keyboard to tie the room together.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
Name that space-saver?
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 10:50:40 »
Yesterday I received an email from scarry saying that he delayed sending it in order to give me the model number, and that he would email it to me "later today." He failed to email me the number however. Today I told him to just ship it, and forget about this complicated model number business. He's on route to earning zero stars for communication, item description, and perhaps shipping time.

Maybe I'm biased being an ebay seller myself, but this is really lousy customer service. It's like dealing with the dude! And, like, I will not stand for this, man.

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
Name that space-saver?
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 20:51:45 »
You said it, Ripster.! Bonus points for the awesome animation.

I just received word from S. Garcia that it is in fact an '87 1391472, which is what I was hoping for. I'm feeling good about this again, think I got a good deal and nabbed the ultimate keyboard.

Anyone know where I can find a good saspirilla to celebrate?

Offline nowsharing

• Swoop
Name that space-saver?
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 30 April 2009, 22:26:03 »
That ice cream looks particularly scarry, I don't know if I could stomach it
 :puke:

Maybe your friend can give us a mini-review.
No chance of a mini mini-review, I've already convinced him that I'm nuts by asking to bring my old keyboards along. If he knew I was hanging out on a forum dedicated to them, it'd be too much!
I'm going to have to just select two boards from the pile that I've "won" recently. I'll definitely pick the mini, and maybe the g80-11802 because it's lighter. I live back and forth between Brazil and the states, so my idea is to have a few nice boards in both locales.