Author Topic: Cherry Profile, SP Double shots, keycap quality considerations  (Read 2130 times)

Offline asgeirtj

So I'm trying to find cherry profile keycaps online to buy but don't seem to find any, I live in EU so is there any place in particular I should look? If it is like i suspect, that it's very hard to find, then I was thinking about the SP double shots. The reason I'm looking at those keycaps is because I have a Filco and I find that the OEM are quite high profile and I'd like to try out lower keys. I already tried out SP dsa but I found that while they are low they have a weird angle so they are uncomfortable to type on (good for gaming though) :P

So I was also wondering, is it just me or do the oem which comes with the filco mj2 feel kind of cheap? I was wondering if all abs felt like that? I know that at least i won't feel the legend if I get double shots which is a plus. I don't care about if it has legend or not actually. So the SP double shots fit my criteria pretty well (low profile nonfelt legends), however does anyone know if they feel better/different than abs oem which the filco comes with? Also I hear thick pbt caps are all the rage so if there would be a cherry profile pbt caps somewhere I would be interested. However, I use red o-rings from keyboardco with they keyboard and if I remember correctly o-rings don't go very well with thick pbts, is that right?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Razor Lotus

Re: Cherry Profile, SP Double shots, keycap quality considerations
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 19:41:33 »
For thick PBT you can get from feng.

Or imsto.

One good place to look for keycaps is either the groupbuys section or the classifieds.

There are some keycap sets groupbuys going on now.

Most of the stock ABS that come with keyboards are pretty thin and nowhere near the quality of thick PBT caps so I suppose one of the few ways you can get them is to join a group buy or buy from one of those 2 vendors mentioned above :)

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 19:43:05 »
get a set from deskthority, lots of vintage boards there with caps that are higher quality than modern ones

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 19:45:54 »
get a set from deskthority, lots of vintage boards there with caps that are higher quality than modern ones
Most of the vintage sets won't fit on a Filco properly.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 May 2014, 19:47:13 »
Most of the vintage sets won't fit on a Filco properly.

oh yea forgot about that :-X

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 01:16:20 »
You say you live in EU, so is your keyboard ISO (big enter key, small left shift, '><|' key next to left shift) ? If so, probably your best bet is to find a used Cherry G80 or G81 from Germany (Cherry profile thick doubleshot ABS keycaps in ISO layout) on ebay. Be careful, though, since some of them have weird layouts, so look out for ones that have the same layout as your MJ2.

The 3000 and 8113 should have the right caps, but 11900 and 1800 have smaller modifiers and short right shift key. The G80 series has MX switches, the G81 series has MY switches. On both of those series' the keycaps are MX compatible. G82 and G83 are not MX compatible.

Or you may find a few Cherry profile ISO sets in the GH classifieds.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.