Author Topic: What else do you hoard?  (Read 31762 times)

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
What else do you hoard?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 08:37:38 »
I hoard computers.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline MsKeyboard

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 09:00:09 »
I hoard Wine! Two cellars

Offline itlnstln

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 09:01:36 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;122273
I hoard Wine! Two cellars

Do you need some help with that?

Offline itlnstln

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 09:10:13 »
Quote from: ripster;122276
Guitars and power tools.

Two wine cellars? One for whites and one for reds?

One for today, one for tomorrow.

Offline roaduck

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 09:17:35 »
Quote from: itlnstln;122253
1.7 million favorites?  I would think that at that point, they're not really favorites anymore.

They just sort of accrued itlnstln and there's sites that I wouldn't come across again with months of meta search engine trawling and I do have powerfull software to search it as well...otherwise it probably would be useless.
BS : IBM 1391406
Other keyboards - don\'t ask

Offline MsKeyboard

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 09:21:13 »
One for Me, and one for friends!

Problem with collecting perishables is sooner or later you have to consume them, for better or worse.  They do leave some great memories though!

Offline itlnstln

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 09:25:49 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;122287
One for Me, and one for friends!

My GF and I will be your friends.

Quote from: MsKeyboard;122287
They do leave some great memories though!

The quantity of memories you keep is directly proportional the quantity of "culling" you have to do.

Offline lowpoly

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 09:30:44 »
Quote from: roaduck;122251
Yep and that's not from all my back-ups - I can collect 1000+ faves a week sometimes, so I need a special program just to trawl through them because desksearch is not powerfull enough - too many things to look at.

Quick Favorites Search 4.32  - http://chris.id.au/

That would be 582 a day. Or, if you sleep 7 hours, one favorite every 1.76 minutes with no time to eat or work.

How do you do that? :shocked:

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline MsKeyboard

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 09:32:20 »
That's the problem with a world wide community like ours, no way to gather and socialize outside our forum.

Well, not to worry, I'll raise a glass to you all tonight anyway!

Offline lowpoly

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 09:55:19 »
Quote from: itlnstln;122289
The quantity of memories you keep is directly proportional the quantity of "culling" you have to do.

From a certain point on this relation becomes inverse. :-)

Offline itlnstln

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 10:05:27 »
Quote from: lowpoly;122298
From a certain point on this relation becomes inverse. :-)

That's what I was going for.  Thanks.  It's too early to attempt to be funny.

Offline TWX

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 02 October 2009, 11:52:27 »
Quote from: lowpoly;87402
Cars with transmission problems.

*laugh*

I've got a '78 Chrysler Cordoba in the garage that's had full body work and paint done but I'm too lazy to put back together.  I even built a 408ci stroker motor out of a 360 small block for it.  I've also got an '82 Dodge D-350 crew cab sitting in the back yard that's next after the Cordoba is done.

I've got a ham radio license so I've got an assortment of antennas, a couple of radios, several sets of mobile mount adapters, a frequency counter, and a very high capacity dummy load.

I have a box of non-standard keyboards.  I have a DEC VT series keyboard, a WYSE terminal keyboard, an old, early IBM phone-jack-type keyboard, a couple of Apple ADB keyboards, at least one five-pin DIN, a weird Compaq PS/2 rack keyboard with built in trackball (the escape keyswitch is malfunctioning), a couple of extra GW2K Anykey keyboards, and a couple of odd USB keyboards.

I have a box of mice with a Kensington Turbo Mouse ADB, a wireless Logitech mouseman, a USB Kensington Orbit, and several other USB and PS/2 mice for when the need comes up.  I also have a serial mouse laying around here somewhere, and I have a PS/2 mouse that looks like a Phaser from Star Trek: The Next Generation and has sound effects that run off an internal battery.

I also collect Laserdiscs, and have about 480.
TWX
C:\>echo y|format C: /q

Offline roaduck

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 00:01:05 »
Quote from: lowpoly;122293
That would be 582 a day. Or, if you sleep 7 hours, one favorite every 1.76 minutes with no time to eat or work.

How do you do that? :shocked:

I've got a program that adds the faves automatically and I can easily visit 1500 sites in 14-16 hours lowpolly.You should see my parapolitics collection!

Offline d4rkst4r

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 00:21:28 »
Quote from: roaduck;122495
I've got a program that adds the faves automatically

I've got one of those programs - it's called history. I clear it out once in a while. :heh:

What do I hoard? Fine chess sets, watches, salt & pepper shakers, Edgar Berebi (picture frames, magnifiers, trinket boxes), Hendrix CDs & cassette(1), and cats.
Italian Red FKB104M/EB · Deck Legend Ice (tactile) · AEKII

Offline timw4mail

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 10:58:49 »
Quote from: roaduck;122495
I've got a program that adds the faves automatically and I can easily visit 1500 sites in 14-16 hours lowpolly.You should see my parapolitics collection!

Wait, you're basically your own search engine?
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What else do you hoard?
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 11:28:39 »
I like old computer parts, of all shapes and sizes.

Offline roaduck

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 13:13:32 »
Quote from: timw4mail;122561
Wait, you're basically your own search engine?

I had to do a lot of research timw4mail especially before Google was so big.
I used Feedreader and friends sent me favorites .htm files which I imported.

I didn't go to all the sites myself - god no!

Offline timw4mail

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 14:04:07 »
Quote from: ch_123;122565
I like old computer parts, of all shapes and sizes.

Me too. Some of the older stuff works a lot better than the newer stuff. Especially TV tuners it seems...

Offline roaduck

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 14:56:35 »
Quote from: timw4mail;122608
Me too. Some of the older stuff works a lot better than the newer stuff. Especially TV tuners it seems...

I totally agree Tim.All our tv in the UK is currently going Digital and Freeview DTV tuners are terrible - digital block, pixellation signal not as strong as analogue and not as loud.

I don't think I'll be buying a new LCD tv anytime soon either - the colour accuracy is still dire, the in-built sound is dire and the text services are glacially slow.

Digital just takes up less bandwidth than analogue because it is all compressed.

Even 192/24 audio has less information than analogue.

My Koetsu moving coil cartridge can go from infrasonic to ultrasonic 0.5 hz to 150Khz ; it sounds like a 2" 30ips master tape.

Digital cannot resolve below minus -135db for example and Dolby master sound is a compander (compression-expander) as well.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
What else do you hoard?
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 15:23:42 »
Unfortunately, analog TV is dead in the US, it's all digital now.

I have two TVs, one 1.75" flat CRT Watchman, one 13" Sanyo. The Sanyo is for hooking up computers and consoles that need a TV with composite in. The Watchman... doesn't get used.

Offline roaduck

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 15:35:06 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;122637
Unfortunately, analog TV is dead in the US, it's all digital now.

I have two TVs, one 1.75" flat CRT Watchman, one 13" Sanyo. The Sanyo is for hooking up computers and consoles that need a TV with composite in. The Watchman... doesn't get used.

I'm not a big telly watcher myself - sometimes I don't turn it on for a month.
I've got a Panasonic 32" Quintrix 100hz crt widescreen downstairs and it's not been turned on since May 2008!

Years ago, sometime in the mid-eighties I had a Sinclair pocket tv.

It had a tiny 2 inch black and white crt tube in it and was useless.
It ran on lithium envelope batteries which didn't last and eventually you couldn't get batteries for it so I gave it away.

I can't understand people squinting to watch a video or play a game on a 3" or 4" screen.I can just about make things out on a ten inch screen.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 October 2009, 15:39:24 by roaduck »

Offline timw4mail

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 16:19:09 »
Quote from: roaduck;122642
I can't understand people squinting to watch a video or play a game on a 3" or 4" screen.I can just about make things out on a ten inch screen.

Some of us are slightly nearsighted to an advantage in that regard.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
What else do you hoard?
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 16:42:16 »
And some of us have bifocals on top of 20/20. (I need bifocals because of my right eye, and when you correct one side, you need to correct the other too, or it can cause issues.)

But, I mainly got the Watchman to play with a flat CRT, not to use.

Offline Rajagra

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 16:57:44 »
Quote from: roaduck;122628
All our tv in the UK is currently going Digital and Freeview DTV tuners are terrible - digital block, pixellation signal not as strong as analogue and not as loud.
Digital just takes up less bandwidth than analogue because it is all compressed.

You're right, we're being conned. Many people were won over by Freeview boxes because the image is perceived to be good. What they don't consider (or know) is that it is easy to mathematically describe an image that has smooth graduations and sharp lines, and encode that digitally using low bandwidth. But although that looks nice, there is no detail, no texture. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Same is true of DAB radio, in the UK we get poor quality because the compression rates are so aggressive (do a search on "DAB sounds worse than FM".) TV will end up the same way, I think they already degraded some ITV channels in the recent retuning exercise.

=============

On the hoarding front, I don't have a vast collection, but I have bought a few straight razors. (The model Ms of the shaving world?)

Offline roaduck

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 18:31:56 »
Quote from: Rajagra;122687
You're right, we're being conned. Many people were won over by Freeview boxes because the image is perceived to be good. What they don't consider (or know) is that it is easy to mathematically describe an image that has smooth graduations and sharp lines, and encode that digitally using low bandwidth. But although that looks nice, there is no detail, no texture. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Same is true of DAB radio, in the UK we get poor quality because the compression rates are so aggressive (do a search on "DAB sounds worse than FM".) TV will end up the same way, I think they already degraded some ITV channels in the recent retuning exercise.

=============

On the hoarding front, I don't have a vast collection, but I have bought a few straight razors. (The model Ms of the shaving world?)

Love your razors - they'll last for ever and yes Rajagra digital telly and radio here in England is horrible, I'm sure the government just wanted to sell off the bandwidth and frequencies to the highest bidder.Like they sold off the Black and White VHF frequencies to the cell phone companies 14-15 years ago.

Compression was invented for FM radio in the 1960's so that it made small radios more impressive.It's called gating and uses a compander.

This results in lower dynamic range, clipped transients and intermodulation distortion and phase shifting.

Digital television and DAB radio will be encrypted eventually - it's not if, it's when then we'll be forced to pay for a c**p service as well as the BBC licence.

Mp3's were invented for getting music down a telephone line with an analogue 56k modem.

We don't need compression now with broadband ADSL and huge cheap HDD's for instance but because you can make more media in less time and less space we're a stuck with a plethora of compressed file types.

I blame the RIAA and the U.S. copyright lawyers mainly.

My old cassettes played on a 20 year old Sony pro walkman anihilates my mp3's players even with lossless FLAC and high bitrate formats for sheer sound quality.But this is progress - ease of manufacture, high unit sales and poor product life.

Most electronics are not even designed to be repaired; they don't even carry spares and if you can and want to mend it;it's cheaper to buy a new one.This can't go on.

Offline TWX

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 19:33:51 »
Quote from: d4rkst4r;122499
I've got one of those programs - it's called history. I clear it out once in a while. :heh:

What do I hoard? Fine chess sets, watches, salt & pepper shakers, Edgar Berebi (picture frames, magnifiers, trinket boxes), Hendrix CDs & cassette(1), and cats.

Forgot about that..  I'm interested in watches but haven't really started hoarding yet.  I do have an Accutron 218 from 1970 though, and I'm looking for an Accutron 214 Spaceview...
TWX

Offline roaduck

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 22:35:22 »
Quote from: TWX;122733
Forgot about that..  I'm interested in watches but haven't really started hoarding yet.  I do have an Accutron 218 from 1970 though, and I'm looking for an Accutron 214 Spaceview...

If you want to know anything about tuning fork resonator watches TWX I have a friend who is a member of the British Horological Institute who builds and collects watches for a living.

Offline TWX

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 23:00:13 »
*chuckle* If I come up with any questions I'll be certain to drop you a line.  For the moment I'm pretty good with fundamentals.  Unfortunately there are two major problems with the Accutron- one, the wiring inside the 218 and later movements is so delicate that any mishandling at all with the case apart will result in a hefty bill to a local watch repair shop, and two, the battery available when it was new is .2V weaker than modern batteries, so some Accutrons will double-index (essentially jump two teeth instead of one) when running, which results in the reading advancing at double the desired rate.  Not all Accutrons suffer from this (mine doesn't appear to) and some have installed a very tiny resistor inside to account for it as well on those that have the problem.

The 214 movement has a separate opening for the battery that doesn't require removing the entire back, so it's possible for a layman with a small coin to open it and change the battery with no other ill effects.
TWX

Offline roaduck

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 03 October 2009, 23:22:24 »
Quote from: TWX;122767
*chuckle* If I come up with any questions I'll be certain to drop you a line.  For the moment I'm pretty good with fundamentals.  Unfortunately there are two major problems with the Accutron- one, the wiring inside the 218 and later movements is so delicate that any mishandling at all with the case apart will result in a hefty bill to a local watch repair shop, and two, the battery available when it was new is .2V weaker than modern batteries, so some Accutrons will double-index (essentially jump two teeth instead of one) when running, which results in the reading advancing at double the desired rate.  Not all Accutrons suffer from this (mine doesn't appear to) and some have installed a very tiny resistor inside to account for it as well on those that have the problem.

The 214 movement has a separate opening for the battery that doesn't require removing the entire back, so it's possible for a layman with a small coin to open it and change the battery with no other ill effects.

If I was you I would take the watch to a specialist horologist; not a jeweller.Somebody that knows about pre quartz Accutrons, Bulovas and rare high beat Swiss electro-mechanicals from the late 60's early 70's because I know how delicate the coils etc are in them.

Your 218 might just need an ultrasonic clean and recalibration and the fitting of an original Mercury battery which are still available as new old stock.Is it a part jewelled calibre with a large ligne?

I once took a rare Swiss Oris Star tuning fork watch to a big name high-street jeweller for a battery replacement and he totalled it.

Eventually, months later, I got a little compensation so now I take my Tissot PRS-516 automatic to my friend, Tick Tock Tony.

If you've got any questions TWX you can email him at ticktock1954 at hotmail dot co dot uk.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
What else do you hoard?
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 04 October 2009, 08:26:05 »
I hoard anything that has to do with computers.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline chuckading

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 04 October 2009, 18:28:42 »
Things I hoard / collect

Not Electronic
Beverage coasters (about 40+) All different, no sets
Mechanical pencils (about 25+) Pentel P200 series tops all
Rhodia notepads (20+) Almost all no. 11 type
Twisty puzzles (Rubik's cube, Void Cube, etc. 60+)
Small containers for Media Management :)
Hurdle tops from major Universities (30+)

Electronics
CDs + DVDs (400+ of each)
Vinyl LPs, EPs (Modern French Producers / Classic Rock)
USB Cables (40+)
Digital & Analog Audio Interconnects / Cables

I could go on with a list of Electronics, but if it uses electricity and plugs into other things, I have a really hard time of letting it go.  I think I have this dream of someday having a wall of buttons and lights that are all connected and can do everything I need.

Example.. Hi-fi components, gaming consoles, portable gaming consoles, computers, laptops, iPods, musical keyboards and now computing keyboards thank to you guys!

Offline Shawn Stanford

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 06:30:19 »
Quote from: TWX;122733

I'm keen on watches as well. There's a large aftermarket for Seikos with quite an amazing variety of dials and hands, and I have several custom-built Seikos. However, my favorite is my 'Alphathon Submariner', which was built for me by putting the guts of an issue Marathon quartz watch with tritium tubes into the submariner-style case of a Chinese Alpha. I also had a curved-dome crystal installed, as well as having the case bead blasted and fixed spring bars put in. Finally, I put it on a nylon strap and I've been beating the hell out of it ever since.

Here's a glamour shot:
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 October 2009, 06:32:23 by Shawn Stanford »
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline itlnstln

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 08:05:22 »
Quote from: Shawn Stanford;123068
Here's a glamour shot:

Shawn, is that you dog tag chain in a plastic sheath?  If so, was that done to prevent breakage from sand and dirt in the Middle East?

Offline TWX

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 09:59:43 »
Quote from: roaduck;122770
If I was you I would take the watch to a specialist horologist; not a jeweller.Somebody that knows about pre quartz Accutrons, Bulovas and rare high beat Swiss electro-mechanicals from the late 60's early 70's because I know how delicate the coils etc are in them.

Your 218 might just need an ultrasonic clean and recalibration and the fitting of an original Mercury battery which are still available as new old stock.Is it a part jewelled calibre with a large ligne?

I once took a rare Swiss Oris Star tuning fork watch to a big name high-street jeweller for a battery replacement and he totalled it.

Eventually, months later, I got a little compensation so now I take my Tissot PRS-516 automatic to my friend, Tick Tock Tony.

If you've got any questions TWX you can email him at ticktock1954 at hotmail dot co dot uk.

Yeah, I don't let anyone but a specialty watch repair shop that's been there for 40 years touch it.  I ended up accidently fracturing the crystal and they had it replaced in a few days with the correct magnifying type.  Defnintely no "fast fix" type place will ever get it.

So far no problems with a more modern battery, which suits me fine.  I'll gladly let it work with modern batteries if it will.
TWX

Offline TWX

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 10:01:29 »
Quote from: Shawn Stanford;123068
I'm keen on watches as well. There's a large aftermarket for Seikos with quite an amazing variety of dials and hands, and I have several custom-built Seikos. However, my favorite is my 'Alphathon Submariner', which was built for me by putting the guts of an issue Marathon quartz watch with tritium tubes into the submariner-style case of a Chinese Alpha. I also had a curved-dome crystal installed, as well as having the case bead blasted and fixed spring bars put in. Finally, I put it on a nylon strap and I've been beating the hell out of it ever since.

Here's a glamour shot:
Show Image

Nice!  I'm not nearly as into customization of watches as I am other things, but that looks cool...
TWX

Offline itlnstln

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 10:23:46 »
Is that a biohazard logo on that watch?

Offline Shawn Stanford

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 10:29:25 »
Shawn, is that you dog tag chain in a plastic sheath? If so, was that done to prevent breakage from sand and dirt in the Middle East?

Yes, those are my dog tags in a plastic sheath. I think the original intent may have been to prevent noise, but I use it (actually, I use 550 cord now) to keep he bead chain from pulling out hair on my chest.

Is that a biohazard logo on that watch?

No, it's actually a radiological symbol. The tubes in the hands and minute markers have trace amounts of radioactive materials in them to make them glow.
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline itlnstln

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 10:45:06 »
Quote from: Shawn Stanford;123103
No, it's actually a radiological symbol. The tubes in the hands and minute markers have trace amounts of radioactive materials in them to make them glow.

That's what I meant.  Man, I am off this morning (it was a long weekend).  Is the radioactive glowing material in the hands/minute markers different than other watches?

Offline timw4mail

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 11:16:54 »
It used to be fairly common to have slightly radioactive materials to keep the hands glow all the time...but then there was radiation sickness from the people who actually painted the stuff on, without any protection, often licking said brushes...

Offline Shawn Stanford

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 12:11:40 »
That's what I meant. Man, I am off this morning (it was a long weekend). Is the radioactive glowing material in the hands/minute markers different than other watches?

Yes, what is in 'standard' watches is a luminous material that needs to be 'charged' by exposure to light. Done right, watches with this material can glow for hours; but eventually they'll need to be exposed to light again.
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
What else do you hoard?
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 05 October 2009, 22:06:48 »
Radium and tritium >>>>> rechargeable glow in the dark crap.

Anyway, the biohazard symbol is different:

http://www.qubenzis.com/q/wp-content/uploads/376px-biohazard_symbol_redsvg.png

Offline lowpoly

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 06 October 2009, 04:40:42 »
I remember reading somewhere that "modern" glow-in-the-dark materials are not radioactive.

Great watch, Shawn.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
What else do you hoard?
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 07 October 2009, 09:21:23 »
Quote from: roaduck;122712
Compression was invented for FM radio in the 1960's so that it made small radios more impressive.It's called gating and uses a compander.

Errm... not quite.
Mp3's were invented for getting music down a telephone line with an analogue 56k modem.

Back in '93, you could buy very fancy 19200 kbps modems (with standards only covering 14400 max). It would be a while until 28.8 came along. Multimedia was all the rage. Moving postage stamps, yay.

Perceptual coding dates back further than that though. The venerable MUSICAM (MP2) codec has been out since '87 or so (that's the poor maligned codec used for DAB at questionable bit rates - basically it needs 160/192 kbit/s upwards for decent quality, as an internal storage format it's typically used with 256..384 kbit/s at broadcasters).

It is also important to distinguish between dynamic range compression, data compression and data reduction (perceptual coding).
My old cassettes played on a 20 year old Sony pro walkman anihilates my mp3's players even with lossless FLAC and high bitrate formats for sheer sound quality.

No effin' way.[tm]
Or at least you have the wrong kind of MP3 player or a problematic kind of hearing damage. My modest Sansa Clip (a model on the inexpensive side of things) has very low hiss levels and no other noises even with very sensitive in-ears (something that vintage portable audio gear never managed to pull off here), still goes comfortably loud enough with 600 ohm headphone antiques, subjectively sounds perfectly fine and conveniently stores the relevant part of my music collection in medium-bitrate VBR MP3 (which I have been unable to ABX vs. lossless in a quiet environment at home). Battery life is only average but still at least on par with what you'd get out of a portable tape player with two AAs, and all that out of a very small (almost too small) device. It's no contest. Only the non-replaceable battery is something I'm not entirely comfortable with.

Most 20 year old portable tape players, by contrast, are likely to have their share of dead surface mount electronics and associated problems (Sony and Aiwa in particular), wobbly belts or cracked gears (the infamous Sony direct drive mechanism). Then the very limited capacity. Rewinding. Real-time dubbing. No thanks.

Interestingly enough, portable radio technology has not advanced as much, at least if you demand a certain performance level. The Clip's radio part is stone deaf. That's why I always lug around a "real" radio which is comparatively huge and whose receiver section could have been designed in the same way with the same ICs in the early 1990s.
Most electronics are not even designed to be repaired; they don't even carry spares and if you can and want to mend it;it's cheaper to buy a new one.This can't go on.

That's one point I'd have to agree with. Today you might find that even a moderately expensive consumer electronics device of the more complex kind (like a TV) cannot be repaired after only 3 years due to unavailability of spares. It can't stay like that forever though.

On the subject of hoarding, here's what your truly has accumulated in the past (maybe I already posted that?):
* computer parts
* portable radios with shortwave coverage
* music
* keyboards (obviously)
Usually at some point the "usefulness per additional item" index approaches near zero, which means it may be time to move on to something else. Only music has been an exception (in the long term it's a little heavy on the bank account though).
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline J888www

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 22 October 2009, 18:09:19 »
I'm trying to hoard Knowledge in hope that with enough acquisition, one day, i may reach Enlightenment. Although I'm failing abysmally as dementia is slowly setting into my faculties.
  What,s the subject matter, I forgot .   :doh:
I thought there was something wrong when I used my IBM mug and then drank from it, should of been vice versa. The more I hoard, the more I regress.  :violin:
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline TWX

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 22 October 2009, 19:56:24 »
I had a calculator watch when I was something like nine.  I have no idea why my parents got me one.  It was kind of neat for awhile I suppose, but the novelty wore off and then the dog ate it.

I guess I think of it along the same lines as shoes...  Shoes should be patent leather, not patent pending...
TWX

Offline hyperlinked

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 22 October 2009, 22:49:57 »
Quote from: TWX;127718
I had a calculator watch when I was something like nine.  I have no idea why my parents got me one.  It was kind of neat for awhile I suppose, but the novelty wore off and then the dog ate it.

When I was a pee wee, a friend of mine had a calculator watch that thad a lighter built into it. Now that I think back, it seems like a bizarre hybrid of a product. It didn't hold much fuel due to its size. Maybe it was for infrequent smokers who were also bad at math and didn't want to walk around with a lighter.

At the time I remember thinking it was the coolest uber utility ever! Cheat on your math exam and set things on fire! What's not to love?
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 October 2009, 22:52:24 by hyperlinked »
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline ironcoder

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 24 October 2009, 14:01:30 »
Quote from: webwit;87431
The z80 lives on in your fridge and many other electronics and appliances

Sinclair didn't invent the z80 and wasn't the first machine to use it, not by a long shot. Radio Shack probably did more for the z80 and home computer revolution than anybody. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80 That was one year after the z80 introduction and at least two years before Sinclair's models.

Quote from: webwit;87431
But your demand is flawed anyway, in the field of computer technology. Where do vacuum tubes live on today? Nowhere

Also not correct. Vacuum tubes are still used in high-end hi fi gear and also in radio communications, especially linear amps. Good old ideas never seem to die.

Edit: I see most of these points were already covered by other posts but I didn't read the thread to the end before I answered. Lot of that going around anyway, didn't want to get left out.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 October 2009, 14:10:25 by ironcoder »
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
What else do you hoard?
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 24 October 2009, 14:11:37 »
Funny thing is, had Sinclair gotten into the home computer market earlier, we wouldn't have the ARM. So, Sinclair, VERY indirectly, influenced today's computer market in one of the biggest ways possible, completely unintentionally, by NOT releasing a product, and causing Acorn to be formed.

And, ARM claims that all the ARMs in the world combined have more processing power than every other processor in the world combined.

Anyway, that calculator watch doesn't appear to be the same model. Looks like a databank model.

And, a watch that has a calculator and can set things on fire is AWESOME. In fact, I have a friend who... I think she could seriously use one. :lol:

I've got a Casio CA-53W, just your basic calculator watch, and that "movement" has been around since the early 80's. More interestingly, I've got an Abacus Wrist PDA, although it won't boot any more.

Offline ironcoder

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 24 October 2009, 14:22:35 »
Those Casio watches were da bomb, I had a non-calculator model but it served as an alarm clock for decades until it finally got too ugly to keep around.

I have to dig out my old Coco II and relearn 68xx assembler one of these days. That was fun.
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline ironcoder

What else do you hoard?
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 24 October 2009, 14:26:16 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;128038
Funny thing is, had Sinclair gotten into the home computer market earlier, we wouldn't have the ARM.

I have to look into that. I thought IBM had a RISC machine a long time ago.

I KNOW that the S/360 was RISC, although not intentionally :biggrin1:

Quote from: bhtooefr;128038
And, ARM claims that all the ARMs in the world combined have more processing power than every other processor in the world combined.

As much as I hate the x86 chip I can't believe as many millions of them are around they aren't a few zillions times more powerful than all the ARMs ever made. But you have to know which ARM chip they're actually talking about.