Author Topic: Let me show you my Bumblebee keyboard!  (Read 55568 times)

Offline geniekid

Let me show you my Bumblebee keyboard!
« on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 18:21:20 »
I want to show you guys the end result of my first keyboard project – the Bumblebee!  It is a major modification of my first mechanical keyboard which I purchased 6 months ago and demonstrates everything I've learned since joining Geekhack 5 months ago.  Aesthetically it's nothing that hasn't already been done, but I'm very proud of it nonetheless.  It represents a lot of firsts for me, including soldering and desoldering switches, painting metal and plastic, swapping springs and stems, and buying my first sculpted cap (okay that last one wasn't so hard). 

100013-0

Features include:
Stainless steel plate with switch removal cutouts
Ergo-clears with 62g springs and thick Krytox lube
Lubed stabilizers
A painted case with a stenciled little bee
A Frosty Flake programmable controller
Black and yellow keycaps from WASD

It's beautiful, but not a perfect keyboard.  Here are some weaknesses: if I apply significant force (a lot more than I ever would through typing) I can move the plate slightly.  Also, there is some ping where there wasn't before.  Both of these are because the stock QFR plate fits perfectly into the case where my new plate does not.  The first isn't really a serious problem, and I have some bookshelf liner on the way that I believe will resolve the second. 

Also, you would really need to look closely, but the paint job is not perfect.  I was a bit impatient with Chicago's temperamental weather so I painted in conditions that were less than ideal (windy and cold).  I will probably never try something like this again – it took days of sanding to get the QFR's rubber coating off.

65290-1
65292-2
65294-3
65296-4
65298-5
100015-6
100017-7

This concludes my first major keyboard project.  My next big project (aside from assembling an incoming ErgoDox and Lightsaver) is going to be a Phantom build.  I'm flirting with the idea of designing a milled case, but we'll see if I ever follow through.  If I do I will surely share my CAD designs with the community.

Thanks to the following members who played a part in helping me either through providing needed parts or providing particularly useful information:
strict
jdcarpe
jixr
photoelectric
sifo
whitefiredragon
the_beast
metalliqaz
bpiphany

Special thanks to mkawa who doesn't get phased even when I PM him for how-to advice after I've already done it subpar-ly. :-*

UPDATE (May 28th 2014)
I've added a layer of shelf liner between the bottom of the case and the PCB.  The pinging sound is reduced significantly.  Also, the ErgoClears are breaking in nicely - I may not lube them at all.

UPDATE (June 24th 2014)
I've lubed the stabilizers using EK's Mechlube (high viscosity).  It gets rid of the rattle on stabilized keys.  The lube itself is sticky.  We'll see how well it lasts over time in terms of effectiveness and cleanliness.  Most of the ErgoClears are at a level that I am very happy typing on although two of the alpha keys are still a tiny bit sticky.  I will probably swap out their stems and springs and continue breaking in all the switches for a couple more months until I reconsider my decision not to lube the stems/springs.

UPDATE (June 26th 2014)
Swapped out the springs/stems for the two sticking keys and they are not sticking any more. 

UPDATE (July 15th 2014)
Decided to lube the switches, partially because I wanted the experience and partially to see if it would make a difference.  While I thought the keys were fine before, I think the lubing definitely makes a difference in the tactile feel of the keys.  I wouldn't say it's less sticky now than it was before, but there's a general muted feel that I particularly enjoy.

UPDATE (May 10th 2015)
Swapped the keycaps with Ivan's PBT Round 3 black blanks and added WASD/Enter caps from GMK.  The spacebar is now using a 78g spring.

UPDATE (April 25th 2016)
I have sold this board.  It was a difficult decision because it was my first major keyboard project, but it has led to so many more keyboard projects that I have to start selling some.  Locking this thread for good now.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 April 2016, 16:10:07 by geniekid »

Offline Findecanor

Re: Let me show you my Bumblebee keyboard!
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 18:29:12 »
Looks real nice!
🍉

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 18:31:50 »
dude, awesome!! love the black and yellow scheme and the stencil is seriously badass!!! congrats on your first big project!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline nuclearsandwich

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 18:32:56 »
Really delightful color and theme. If you haven't yet seen KeyPop's bumblebee set you might really like it.

Offline aref

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 18:34:16 »
You did a great job on your "Bumblebee". Looks like it was meticulously built. Kudos to you.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 18:53:30 »
Really delightful color and theme. If you haven't yet seen KeyPop's bumblebee set you might really like it.

I have seen it!  In fact, it was my inspiration for all of this - discovered before I had even heard of geekhack.  I went with the WASD set because I really wanted blank modifiers (I might even go with blank alpha keys) but I do have several keys from that set that keypop sold as singles.  When Ivan's GB for thick PBT blanks comes through it's likely this keyboard will feature all black keys with several of the keypop caps.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 18:54:14 »
Thank you all for your kind words :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 19:29:22 »
That looks fantastic!

The only question is why the \| key is black, instead of yellow? :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline luisbg

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 20:09:31 »
Looking great!  Congrats  :D
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline geniekid

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 20:16:46 »
That looks fantastic!

Thank you! ;D

I swapped backspace and \|, and blanks don't lie ;)  The keyboard has a layout inspired heavily by my HHKB (you can see the exact layout here). 

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 20:29:15 »
That looks fantastic!

Thank you! ;D

I swapped backspace and \|, and blanks don't lie ;)  The keyboard has a layout inspired heavily by my HHKB (you can see the exact layout here). 

Makes perfect sense :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 20:33:13 »
You definitely need that Keypop bumblebee keycap as a finishing touch! Nice work!

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 20:36:05 »
Looks sick man conrats on your first big project!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 00:19:54 »
it looks really good, but I'm confused as to what I did to help you again :p

maybe my memory going bad
I love Elzy

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 00:25:52 »
Very nice man. Something I have wanted to do for a long time as well. Try my first mod. Thanks for the encouragement.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 00:56:14 »

dude, awesome!! love the black and yellow scheme and the stencil is seriously badass!!! congrats on your first big project!
On a side note, I'm thrilled that you went back to your old Avatar Kawa!!
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 01:24:29 »

He had that one when I joined.

Every time I see someone else with it, I have to look at the name twice to make sure it is not mkawa!

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 01:34:11 »
Great job!

Offline isaske

• Stop whining!
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 02:05:15 »
Looks very nice, grats!
HOW DO I COMPUTER?

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 02:06:06 »

He had that one when I joined.

Every time I see someone else with it, I have to look at the name twice to make sure it is not mkawa!
When I joined too. He always comes back to it!
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 20:49:02 »
Very awesome.  But the black pipe key and the yellow backspace just scream "swap us for the right colors, please!!".   :thumb:
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Txduck

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 01:36:24 »
That is one REALLY cool board! Great job!  :thumb:

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 10:11:13 »
looks really nice,  :thumb:
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline luisbg

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 12:36:25 »
Very awesome.  But the black pipe key and the yellow backspace just scream "swap us for the right colors, please!!".   :thumb:

Backspace definitely. But not so sure about pipe key.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys

Offline badboybry9000

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 12:46:17 »
I like it. Well done!

Offline geniekid

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 12:53:43 »
You definitely need that Keypop bumblebee keycap as a finishing touch! Nice work!
I've had this cap for a long time.  It was one of the first novelty caps I've ever bought and when I first learned that key caps come in different profiles.  When Ivan's GB completes I will have a set of Cherry profile caps that I can use in conjunction with that bee cap :)

it looks really good, but I'm confused as to what I did to help you again :p

maybe my memory going bad
You've made particularly informative posts about Ergo-clears that convinced me to go 62g and to hold off on lubing for the time being.  Most of the people I thanked I've never contacted directly - they've just made posts or videos in the past that I found helpful or inspirational.  That, or they had a hand in providing a part that I used. 

Very nice man. Something I have wanted to do for a long time as well. Try my first mod. Thanks for the encouragement.
That's what's so great about Geekhack - members inspiring others to do things!  Doooo eeet!

Backspace definitely. But not so sure about pipe key.
The black key is backspace and the yellow is the pipe (scroll up if you're curious about how I arrived at my layout) so the colors make sense, although you could argue that I should have a legend on the yellow pipe to be consistent with the rest of the scheme. 

Offline geniekid

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 12:59:20 »
Everyone, thank you for all the praise.  I really appreciate all of it! <3

I'm going to lock this thread for now so I don't feel an obligation to keep watching and responding to it - it's time to start another project!  If you have any questions, please PM me.  I will give you any advice I feel qualified to give ;D