Author Topic: GMK DOLCH [COMPLETE]  (Read 2122322 times)

Offline nuclearsandwich

Re: GMK DOLCH [SHIPPING]
« Reply #2050 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 17:46:38 »
My two sets arrived earlier this week with all keys accounted for and looking sharp! Thanks Ivan! <3

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #2051 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 17:47:52 »
Boards that I drew inspiration from on the new set are the G80-0312, Commodore PC-5/G80-0499 , NCR G80-0528, G80-0535, and Adler Dario models. I combined certain elements of layout, legend selection and colorways from those boards and blended them together to create something with massive retro appeal that is not a straight out repro.

The base set will be sold together, as it is cheaper that way than piecemeal. There are duplicates of some keys due to them being different row profiles. A profile bottom row, F profile function row are included by default.
Here is a preview of the color and mods packs:
Show Image

Show Image

That mod pack looks sick.
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2052 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 17:56:41 »
Those with missing keys will be taken care of. Since I am short on some particular legends keys I have asked GMK to send me some more. I should be getting them along with the replacement stab wires any time now.

For the upcoming color pack, it will have blank F and A keys which may be useful for 122 boards, 75% boards, some existing or upcoming customs. 1.25 keys were never made in A profile and that is the only size available for 'Start', and that style cursor were not either, just in B.

RGBK and CMYK v2 (color legends on black keys) are some things I have planned for the next mini packs.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 December 2014, 17:58:18 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #2053 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 19:31:21 »
Boards that I drew inspiration from on the new set are the G80-0312, Commodore PC-5/G80-0499 , NCR G80-0528, G80-0535, and Adler Dario models. I combined certain elements of layout, legend selection and colorways from those boards and blended them together to create something with massive retro appeal that is not a straight out repro.

The base set will be sold together, as it is cheaper that way than piecemeal. There are duplicates of some keys due to them being different row profiles. A profile bottom row, F profile function row are included by default.
Show Image

Show Image

Dat yellow  :thumb:
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #2054 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 20:17:39 »
Those with missing keys will be taken care of. Since I am short on some particular legends keys I have asked GMK to send me some more. I should be getting them along with the replacement stab wires any time now.

For the upcoming color pack, it will have blank F and A keys which may be useful for 122 boards, 75% boards, some existing or upcoming customs. 1.25 keys were never made in A profile and that is the only size available for 'Start', and that style cursor were not either, just in B.

RGBK and CMYK v2 (color legends on black keys) are some things I have planned for the next mini packs.
Great !!! I loved RGBK & CMYK

Offline luckyryan333

• #There'sNoToolForTyping
« Reply #2055 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 22:48:23 »
Got mine today morning but unfortunately some keys are missing.  :-[

Ivan, I've sent a PM about those keys.

PS) I'm gonna post my Dolch pics if they are available.
No PaiN, No GaiN
More
How to order from Taobao from outside of China and WITHOUT an Agent
daily driver: C70 w/ Oblivion
on the way: d65_12/gmkblk_3

Offline swornxin

• Nailed Down Custom Pins
« Reply #2056 on: Wed, 03 December 2014, 23:37:10 »

Show Image

Show Image

Dang.  I will be tempted to buy this mod pack to make sure I get the 1u Fn key for the full classic beige set. 

EDIT:  Thought this was the classic beige interest check. Post edited accordingly.  Sorry.  :confused:
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 December 2014, 23:39:18 by swornxin »

Octagon - 62g Cherry tactile greys
Phantom - 65g Cherry tactile greys
FC660M - Cherry blues
KC60 - Gateron browns

Offline zzoroda

« Reply #2057 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 03:51:19 »
Finally, got mine. Great work Ivan!!!!
but one keycap(F5) is missing.
I think I need to send a PM to you Ivan.
Here is the image I got.

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 December 2014, 05:00:19 by zzoroda »

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #2058 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 03:53:58 »

Mmmh, I really look forward to these. RGBK is going to be a must-buy for me :)

Aside from diversity, what kinda benefits do you feel F and A profiles have over the modern standard?

I wish I could try them out; never had the chance.

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline quochung1989

• Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #2059 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 04:01:27 »

Mmmh, I really look forward to these. RGBK is going to be a must-buy for me :)

Aside from diversity, what kinda benefits do you feel F and A profiles have over the modern standard?

I wish I could try them out; never had the chance.

You can try A profile via BSP 's keycaps. They is regular cherry profile
But F profile is very hard :(
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 December 2014, 04:03:11 by quochung1989 »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2060 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 08:19:47 »
F and A profile, some might find it adds comfort. It's just something different to have, and since it was the original way it makes sense in my mind to have it on a retro nostalgia themed set.

Offline osi

« Reply #2061 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 08:30:32 »
I've waited a bit over three years to get my hands on a Dolch set and it was definitely worth the wait.

Only issue is I'm unfortunately missing a num-row "1 !" key in one of my sets :(

Show Image

Show Image

Thanks for running this IvanIvanovich, I'm looking forward to the next set.

Those purple mods are hot

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #2062 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 08:41:13 »
Can't wait for this set to arrive!!!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline ERACK

« Reply #2063 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 14:43:12 »
Received my order and the set is great (except for a missing color pack enter)! Thanks Ivan for making it happen :thumb:

I have a question about these keycaps and Costar stabilizers. I threw these on a Filco board and the keys with stabilizes just don't feel right, especially the Spacebar. I could probably live with it if I was only typing but for gaming it's an issue. I've resorted to putting the OEM Spacebar back on for the time being.

I'm assuming that the stabilizer wire is rubbing on the inside of the cap. Am I wrong about this?

Is there a way to fix this besides filing the inside walls of the caps?

Just curious if anyone has experience with this and could give me some suggestions. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

Offline padath

« Reply #2064 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 14:54:01 »
Received my order and the set is great (except for a missing color pack enter)! Thanks Ivan for making it happen :thumb:

I have a question about these keycaps and Costar stabilizers. I threw these on a Filco board and the keys with stabilizes just don't feel right, especially the Spacebar. I could probably live with it if I was only typing but for gaming it's an issue. I've resorted to putting the OEM Spacebar back on for the time being.

I'm assuming that the stabilizer wire is rubbing on the inside of the cap. Am I wrong about this?

Just curious if anyone has experience with this and could give me some suggestions. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

Are you sure that you have put the stabiliser inserts in the right way round?

The longer bit needs to be towards the north of the keyboard. If you get these the wrong way round, things won't work smoothly.

Offline ERACK

« Reply #2065 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 14:58:43 »
Yeah I installed them correctly. Tried putting them in the other way to see if it would change things and it did but for the worse.

Offline renne

« Reply #2066 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 14:59:50 »

Show Image

Show Image

OMG! I'm in!

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #2067 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 15:01:30 »

This happens with costar and thick cherry caps.  You need cherry stabilizers for it not to happen.  Clipped cherry stabilizers are the best from what I gather (they are non-mushy).
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline ERACK

« Reply #2068 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 15:08:41 »
Thanks asgeirtj! Do you happen to know a good way to go about getting these? 

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2069 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 15:17:12 »

aquire keyboard with cherry stabilizers

desolder stabilizers

clip stabs

resolder stabs

become a winner
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ERACK

« Reply #2070 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 15:26:53 »

desolder stabilizers

clip stabs

resolder stabs

become a winner

I see. More of a process than I was imagining but doable  :thumb:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #2071 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 15:38:02 »
if i can do it you can do it

soldering is easy
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2072 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 15:44:46 »

desolder stabilizers

clip stabs

resolder stabs

become a winner

Not to be that guy, but you don't desolder the stabs.  You would desolder the switches to remove a plate (if there is one).  If there's no plate, you just pop the stabs out.

Also, if your board currently has Costar stabs, your board has a plate, which means you'd need a plate compatible with cherry plate mount stabs.  This may not be the case, particularly if it's a production board. 

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #2073 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 15:46:20 »
yeah look at a guide

i was kinda non-specific

it is pretty easy though

Offline ERACK

« Reply #2074 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 16:04:21 »
Best case scenario I would like to find a work around for the Costar stabilizers so I could keep my current keyboard with minimal modding and not having to part with any money. If it's a case of the caps and the stabilizers just not being compatible I suppose it might be time to pick up a new board. I only have the one so it can't hurt to get another. Plus I have been wanting a 60% for some time.

If I was to start changing out plates and switching stabs I can imagine there would be a lot of Googling in my future before I was through.     

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #2075 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 16:12:37 »
Does this mean the spacebars for GMK Dolch, or GMK sets in general, aren't really compatible with costar stabilized keyboards?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2076 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 16:19:08 »

desolder stabilizers

clip stabs

resolder stabs

become a winner

You don't solder or desolder Cherry stabilizers at all....they clip in. You will have to desolder and solder the switches if they're in the way.

Does this mean the spacebars for GMK Dolch, or GMK sets in general, aren't really compatible with costar stabilized keyboards?

The GMK spacebars worked fine on my Filco. I think it's a case by case thing.

Offline ERACK

« Reply #2077 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 16:25:35 »

Seems to be the case for me at least. All keys with stabilizers appear to suffer from the same issue but some are worse than others. The Spacebar being by far the most noticeable.

The only other issue was that the stabilizer inserts where a tad too long for the Enter cap due to the profile but that was easy enough to fix.

Offline D01

« Reply #2078 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 16:53:36 »

No problems with WASD keyboards here.

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #2079 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 17:02:07 »

Seems that way.

Seems to be the case for me at least. All keys with stabilizers appear to suffer from the same issue but some are worse than others. The Spacebar being by far the most noticeable.

The only other issue was that the stabilizer inserts where a tad too long for the Enter cap due to the profile but that was easy enough to fix.

Hmm what keyboard are you using? Also, are your keycap stabilizer inserts facing the right direction? The little pieces aren't symmetrical, and I've experienced putting the inserts the wrong way before.

No problems with WASD keyboards here.

That's good to know, I'll be getting a used WASD keyboard soon and GMK Dolch, hopefully.

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #2080 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 17:07:40 »
Got my base set and color pack. Thanks lysol/Ivan and everyone involved in organizing this group buy.

Quick check:

Old meets new

« Last Edit: Thu, 04 December 2014, 19:43:18 by rainb1ood »

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #2081 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 21:58:50 »
received. thanks!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2082 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 22:07:11 »
Some of the iOne boards have straight wires like this...

which seem to solve the issue since the bend can't catch and grind if there isn't one like on 'real' costar stabs.

Offline Hucifer

« Reply #2083 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 00:09:15 »
Recieved mine today. The wait was worth it!

Cheers to Ivan and Hoff for all the hard work  :thumb:
              Waiting on / GMK LED Keycaps

Offline findingthelimit

• Rawr
« Reply #2084 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 03:09:46 »

Show Image

Show Image

What board is that?
Poker 2 reds, GH60 42g ergo clears

Offline ebacho

« Reply #2085 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 03:40:05 »
What board is that?

Looks like a KUL ES-87.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #2086 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 04:28:09 »
Finally got my CMYK set!

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline kebby

« Reply #2087 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 06:40:52 »
Finally got my CMYK set!
Just second hand or can you get that somewhere even now that the group buy is long gone? I'd love to get my hands on one.  :)

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #2088 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 07:33:13 »

I've had 3 boards with costar stabilizers (2 filco 1 wasd) and all the stabilizers had problems with thick cherry profile keycaps so I'm very skeptical when people say things like this. Makes me wonder if it's just that some notice it/mind it and some don't :p.
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline padath

« Reply #2089 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 07:42:15 »
I've had 3 boards with costar stabilizers (2 filco 1 wasd) and all the stabilizers had problems with thick cherry profile keycaps so I'm very skeptical when people say things like this. Makes me wonder if it's just that some notice it/mind it and some don't :p.

I haven't noticed any problem whatsoever with GMK keycaps on my Filcos.

Maybe it's because I don't game, maybe I just don't notice/mind it or maybe some keyboards are worse than others. Who knows.

Offline Hucifer

« Reply #2090 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 08:24:37 »
              Waiting on / GMK LED Keycaps

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #2091 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 08:34:40 »

Show Image

Show Image

Great pictures! :thumb:

Offline mr.bean

« Reply #2092 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 09:28:38 »
Is there any left over sets?

Offline quochung1989

• Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #2093 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 09:32:41 »
Is there any left over sets?
You can pm zeal. He said that he ordered quite more. I hope you can get one :)

Offline mr.bean

« Reply #2094 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 09:52:25 »
Thanks

Offline mickd

« Reply #2095 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 22:05:18 »
Makes me wonder if it's just that some notice it/mind it and some don't :p.

I think it's a case by case thing. I know what you're talking about, and I've had the problem as well in the past. I just filed the inside of the key a tiny bit. This was with my full sized Filco. However, with my recent color space bar purchased for my TKL Filco, I didn't have the problem.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2096 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 22:20:50 »

Show Image

Show Image

And evolveS!!  ;)

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #2097 on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 22:54:41 »

Show Image

Show Image

And evolveS!!  ;)

YEA DAS RITE I LURVE YOU ALL  :-* :-* :-* :-*
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline bianco

« Reply #2098 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 00:00:59 »
just got notified that it's with my forwarding service...
same day when they sent all the stuff they were holding earlier :'(
need to gather more stuff to make the next shipment worthwhile   :-X

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #2099 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 03:49:32 »
do I have to worry if I didn't get my set yet? :(