Author Topic: Recommendations for bolt modding?  (Read 2839 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Recommendations for bolt modding?
« on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 15:28:18 »
I'm interested in bolt modding an old M122. Thanks to one dropped rivet*, some keys have become unreliable forcing its recent retirement.

I am exploring bolt modding options now.

Chiseling out the rivets, I probably can do. I'm quite good at destroying my keyboards through clumsiness or something.

Drilling holes properly, I don't think so.

This brings me to some questions:

1) is it possible to buy barrel/ chimney plates from Unicomp with the holes present? After all new barrel plates should have no rivets, right? If I could get such a plate, I should be able to avoid having to drill 80+ holes, right?

2) what kind of specs do I need for the drill? And what kind of drill? What specs do I need for the drill bit? I do not own anything apart from a standard Bosch masonry drill (ie for normal house repairs and hanging up hooks). So I probably lack the correct tools, but I need to know what are the correct tools to use.

3) does anyone know the specs for the bolts/ screws most suitable for a bolt mod?

*like all vintage keyboards my 122 already had a few rivets lost when I bought it. The main difference is, after some time in my use, it lost one more rivet that was the straw which broke the camel's back. Until I bolt mod this keyboard I will have to either retire it, or forego the use of some keys on the right side.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 May 2014, 15:31:40 by berserkfan »
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Recommendations for bolt modding?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 15:32:57 »
I don't have any experience with it but I found a few threads that might help

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52651.0

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56883.0

I'm sure there are more but thats all I could find quickly.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 16:40:51 »

1) is it possible to buy barrel/ chimney plates from Unicomp with the holes present? After all new barrel plates should have no rivets, right? If I could get such a plate, I should be able to avoid having to drill 80+ holes, right?

2) what kind of specs do I need for the drill? And what kind of drill? What specs do I need for the drill bit? I do not own anything apart from a standard Bosch masonry drill (ie for normal house repairs and hanging up hooks). So I probably lack the correct tools, but I need to know what are the correct tools to use.

3) does anyone know the specs for the bolts/ screws most suitable for a bolt mod?

1) no, the "rivets" are posts that get melted down
2) something that you can hold very steady, like a Dremel, and guide accurately. slowest possible speeds
3) I think that I showed an order form later in my F-122 guide
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 17:12:22 »
I'd recommend simply drilling the missing rivets with the board assembled and put bolts in those spots.

On the chance you get debris in the sandwich of barrel plate/membranes/backplate you'd have to do a full bolt mod but you seem to be at that point anyway.

For the slowest speeds a handheld screwdriver is likely slower than any rotary tool.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline bcg

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 21:01:10 »
Don't be scared, just jump right and do the whole bolt mod.  Don't mess around with shortcuts, it doesn't take that much longer to do it the right way.

Do be careful drilling though, the quickest way to get it done is to be careful and get it right the first time.  Don't rush.

Listen to fohat and you'll be fine.

Here's what I use from McMaster Carr, works for me

92005A029   Metric Pan Head Phillips Machine Screw, Zinc-Plated Steel, M2 Size, 8MM Length, .4MM Pitch, Packs of 100 (http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=92005A029)
90592A004   Metric Plain Steel Hex Nut, Class 6, M2 Size, .4 mm Pitch, 4MM W , 1.6MM H, Packs of 100 (http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=90592A004)
93475A196   Metric DIN 125 18-8 Stainless Steel Flat Washer, M2.5 Screw Size, 6MM OD, 0.45MM-0.55MM Thick, Packs of 100 (http://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?partnum=93475A196)
:wq!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 21:04:37 »
And use a drill not a rotary tool such as a dremel.  The dremel will not be able to go slow enough to not melt the plastic, at which point it will create an extra time consuming process.  I tappped the holes before I put the bolts in mine but that I believe is an optional step. 
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 00:46:33 »
um, lots of people have given excellent suggestions on the bolt and nut and screw sizes.

But nobody has responded adequately to the drill/ dremel thing.

I barely even know what a drill is. I mean, I don't think a 3kg Bosch masonry drill is gonna work. But I have no idea what kinds and types and brands and specs of drills and drill bits to look out for. I'm imagining there are small drills that are easily manueverable for precision work on a keyboard?

In Singapore there isn't much of a DIY culture so it's very hard. All DIY shops sell stuff only for home fixes - big heavy stuff. I already have enough difficulty finding small or precision screws. And on top of that, the folks in DIY and hardware shops are certified idiots who couldn't find low end jobs in their home countries. You have Filipinos who tell me they don't sell candles when I ask for solder wick, and you have Chinese who tell me if I want nuts I need to buy them over at place x between the salad shop and the cookie shop.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 01:12:57 »
This is the drill that I used when I did mine.  If I was to do another one I would use a friends shop with his floor mounted drill press so the bit doesn't wander off where it should be.  Granted I have experience drilling aluminum rivets where the surface isn't flat (button head solid rivets on aircraft) so getting the drill back where it is supposed to be wasn't to difficult.  If you are not confident using something of this size I would go with something like this.  The reason is because since you have to turn it with your fingers there is a lot less chance of drilling where you aren't supposed to be.  Granted it will take much longer but a lot less chance of errors.  I already checked the size of the drill bit that is needed.  It will fit in this particular model of hand drill.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 07:13:49 »
This is the drill that I used when I did mine.  If I was to do another one I would use a friends shop with his floor mounted drill press so the bit doesn't wander off where it should be.  Granted I have experience drilling aluminum rivets where the surface isn't flat (button head solid rivets on aircraft) so getting the drill back where it is supposed to be wasn't to difficult.  If you are not confident using something of this size I would go with something like this.  The reason is because since you have to turn it with your fingers there is a lot less chance of drilling where you aren't supposed to be.  Granted it will take much longer but a lot less chance of errors.  I already checked the size of the drill bit that is needed.  It will fit in this particular model of hand drill.

Ah, I think the commando hand drill is much more to my liking. Less intimidating. What's the bit size needed to match the bolts/ screws recommended for bolt modding? That thing only says sizes #52-#74.

BTW any suggestions on what else I can do with this drill? Since I have no reason to buy other than to do bolt modding, I'm wondering what else this drill can be used for. Because it's a hand drill, am I right to say it's not usable on metal, and therefore can't be used to drill holes in plates?

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 09:52:08 »
I used a basic drill used for all sorts of basic home repairs.  The one linked by Melvang will be sufficient.  Make sure you cut off those rivets to make a nice, flat surface to increase the accuracy of your drilling.  While some may shy away from using a standard hand drill for this mod, I find that I have the patience and steadiness to do the job with screwing up.

Also, a 1/16 of an inch drill bit is the size that I used.  Anything bigger will create holes that are too large for that barrel frame.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 11:09:17 »
I used a 1.6mm bit for mine.  But I ran a tap down each hole before running the M2 bolts through the holes.  Though iirc the step with the tap is optional.  1.6mm drill bit is the correct size for tapping M2 threads.  It will be towards the very upper end of the hand drill that I linked but will fit. 

I have used my hand drill to make new holes in the PCB when I rotated a switch in the PCB for my third gen Das keyboard.  I would think using this in aluminum would be possible but not anything harder.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 22:16:00 »
1/2" hammer drill is too much, and a tiny hand drill is not enough.  Something like a 3/8" variable speed chuckless corded drill would be fine - the key being the variable speed.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 09:23:39 »
- the key being the variable speed.

I wish my Dremel had at least one more setting lower than "Low"
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 17:44:16 »
I used my makita cordless drill that I modified to run form a benchtop powersupply I have. I used a 1/16 bit, I believe.

Interestingly enough, even if the hole isn't perfectly straight, it will still usually work. I had a few that weren't perfect, but the entire mod works fine.

If you get a plate from unicomp (chimnetys they call it) they send it to you with the rivets unmelted. they are just a bunch of sticks that pop out the back of the plate.

it occurs to me that if GH had a lasercutter, we could make new plates with holes for bolts really quickly. same for model F mats.