Author Topic: Tried Topre and didn't like it. Looking for something new  (Read 2286 times)

Offline VilaBobz

Tried Topre and didn't like it. Looking for something new
« on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 16:42:13 »
Hi Everybody.  I have been a long time reader first time making an account. Purchased a Realforce 104U and wasn't thrilled about it.  It irritated my wrists.  Now I am looking for something else.

Moderation note: no advertisements for sale or trade should be posted outside of the Marketplace section.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 May 2014, 18:16:49 by Photoelectric »

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
Hi.
Welcome!
Get an HHKB  :p

Offline feizor

Re: Tried Topre and didn't like it. Looking for something new
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 18:38:18 »
Hi Everybody.  I have been a long time reader first time making an account. Purchased a Realforce 104U and wasn't thrilled about it.  It irritated my wrists.  Now I am looking for something else.

Moderation note: no advertisements for sale or trade should be posted outside of the Marketplace section.

How did it irritate your wrists? Was it the angle or the material of the case below the space bar?

Offline VilaBobz

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 May 2014, 21:01:24 »
I'm not sure exactly.  I just noticed a lot of strain in my wrists, like carpel tunnel.  It wasn't the angle just the key presses themselves.  I normally rotate between a Das3 at home with blues and a Dell rubber dome keyboard at work.  Rarely if ever get wrist pain.  Pretty much never.  Though after a few days of using the Topre at home and the dell at work.  I had a work from home day.  On this day I used the Topre all day and on Friday when I went back to work I got a lot of wrist pain on the dell.  I then had it again today which I then decided it was time to move on.  The topre keys are certainly nice but a bit to soft for my taste.

Offline JulianFR

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 10:20:41 »
Well, I guess you'd better try an Ergodox + trackball  :)
ErgoDox - Blank DSA caps - MX Clear sw (ergo-clear soon) - krytox/victorinox lub

Offline VilaBobz

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 15:46:20 »
Well, I guess you'd better try an Ergodox + trackball  :)

well I haven't had pain before so it could be just the topre keys. 

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 15:50:34 »
nooo
topre feels great
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 19:41:51 »
Welcome to geekhack. What are you looking for in particular? Any sort of list of things you're interested in?

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 19:43:05 »
If you're fine with cherry switches, but the Topres don't do it for you, maybe you could try some clears/ergo clears.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Rafen

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 20:25:06 »
Welcome to GH!

That's really weird. My fingers and hands feel so much better since making the switch. But this switch isn't for everyone. Are you looking for something that is more ergonomic or do you want a different switch? Also what is your price point?

Offline VilaBobz

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 25 May 2014, 23:49:02 »
Welcome to geekhack. What are you looking for in particular? Any sort of list of things you're interested in?

well I had used my Das 3 with blues for years.  I had to move to a dell rubber dome for about 6 months and then when I moved back to the Das it was a bit to soft for my taste.  I figured since the Topres were really good domes it would be worth a shot. Now after being back on the das I am used to it again.

For years I went between the das at home and the dell dome at work.  No real issue.  I like the Das, I like the tactile feedback.  It just felt a bit soft moving back from the dome all the time at home and work.

nooo
topre feels great

It feels nice but it's different.

If you're fine with cherry switches, but the Topres don't do it for you, maybe you could try some clears/ergo clears.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Welcome to GH!

That's really weird. My fingers and hands feel so much better since making the switch. But this switch isn't for everyone. Are you looking for something that is more ergonomic or do you want a different switch? Also what is your price point?

No real price point.  My wrists didn't hurt because of the shape of the topre, it was the key presses themselves.  Either they were to soft or made to much of a thud.  Not sure.  I can't say I noticed much of a different just less control I suppose on the topres because they were so soft.

Offline beartung

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 01:43:57 »
Welcome. I like the hhkb layout.  ;D
Looking for Topre Orangesicle CC & Topre Limoncello CC

Offline Zevus

• Nogleg
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 19:10:08 »
I couldn't switch from my IBM Model M 1391401 to a Filco "Majestouch".... kept inadvertently hitting the spacebar, since I essentially use the spacebar as a thumb rest on this IBM keyboard.... didn't work on the Filco,  I believe it was blue switches?  Anyway, went back to my buckling spring IBM keyboards. 

I still have several brand new ones I bought off eBay back in '99.  I'm on the 2nd out of 6...   :thumb: