Author Topic: FUBARed laptop HDD or ??? Hirens BCD 10.6 recovery possible?  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Voixdelion

So okay , THIS happened:

I had finally gotten settled into a rhythm with the new hdd I had to put on the vaio laptop after a sharp knock rendered it unbootable and it complained of the inability to find an OS.  I had hoped to try and salvage some data from that drive after getting myself squared and tweaked to my liking with the new one in place running a dual boot setup with XP and a 64 bit windows 7 because I have problems with the latency on 7 within the audio mic inputs and need the XP system for recording and monitoring in real time.  I'd actually gotten used to using the laptop while my desktop was out of commission waiting for a new gpu and psu, but I had not actually had access to another suitable drive for back up since the one I had gottn for that purpose had to be used as the new laptop drive, so  and naturally, because I am lucky like that, I got up the other day to visit the loo and somehow got entangled in the power charger cord and tugged it off the table onto the floor. Yay.  Miraculously, it seemed unharmed. 

Until I had to take it with me and it went to sleep.  Then  it froze on waking or sometime shortly after and a reboot failed utterly with a blank black screen and blinking white cursor and "error loading OS" message and later Not Operating  System found. BIOS knows the drive is there and how big it is , but windows can't see it.  So now life sucks, as I try to find solutions with the only internet access available to be  - the browser on my PS3 via the onscreen keyboard navigation through the dual shock controller... *weeps*

I had experienced a bsod or two recently, which seemed related to graphic pen pad or mouse drivers, but as the  error message is the same as the last hdd ,  Iam wondering if something else is up . might it be a n issue with the dual boot screwing me up since they don't use the same bootloader?  Some pages have indicated that my partitions might stillb e there, but that the MBR is toast. 
I have my Hiren's cd and no idea where to begin to attempt recovery. 

Anyone got any suggestions? 
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: FUBARed laptop HDD or ??? Hirens BCD 10.6 recovery possible?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 08:51:22 »
The first thing I would try then is to boot with the win7 install media and try to do start up repair. If it's still there it can usually fix it automatically. If not then you still may be able to manually fix it with bcdedit.
As far as I remember with dual boot Win7 and XP, as long as you install XP first the Windows 7 bootloader should take over or chain load the XP one... if you do it the other way around it gets broken.

Offline osi

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 09:36:21 »
Since you mentioned Hiren's, there are some HDD health diagnostic utilities that could would at least verify your storage is in good shape too.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:59:20 »
I usually prefer to look into recovery from a linux environment. I have a 8GB USB loaded up with LinuxMint 16 and a persistent partition with some additional HDD tools. smartmontools/smartctl is usually where I start.

Is the drive making any weird noises?
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)