Author Topic: Disassembling a Beam Spring Switch?  (Read 2708 times)

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Disassembling a Beam Spring Switch?
« on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:12:55 »
I'm not talking about simply removing the fly plate, but taking apart the whole switch, if it is even possible.  Removing the metal stem, the white plastic plunger, and the spring from each other and from the black shell.

Looking at it and knowing the history of how broken fly plates were usually dealt with (complete replacement of the key assembly), could be it wasn't designed to be disassembled.  Not that that's stopped anyone with similar things before...
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Parak

Re: Disassembling a Beam Spring Switch?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 18:54:47 »
Yes, you can remove the metal pin from the switch with sufficient effort, easier if they are still in the plate - it's possible that it was harder for me due to the rust of the stem expanding inside the plastic slidey bits.

Disclaimer: I do not know if this is supposed to be the case, yet. IBM docs do not mention this. I've only discovered this by accident, while pulling way too hard to dislodge keycaps scratching a few in the process, sadly, given these particularly unique ones. Pulling too hard because the rust got inside the keycap part of the stem, too. In retrospect, should have used corrosionx to try and loosen them a bit first. Sadness.

Anyway, once that's done, the spring follows, and the slider can be taken out the bottom with the plate still tentatively attached. Does detach it you look at it funny though, but not too hard to reattach when the slider is external of the barrel.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 21:09:03 »
any tips for getting the fly plate back on the beam?

Offline Parak

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 29 May 2014, 21:48:41 »
any tips for getting the fly plate back on the beam?

Once the slider is outside of the switch it's easy.. the tricky ibm instructions on the DT wiki are for where the slider is still inside.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 16:34:12 »
I managed to get it without complete disassembly.

There's two holes in the switch that let you bend the beam up. A little finagling, and I got it back on with no trouble.