Author Topic: Changing top row on KBT race  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Naweo

Changing top row on KBT race
« on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:36:05 »
Is it possible to change and move the top row on KBT race to make f1-f12 directly above 1-12 keys?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Changing top row on KBT race
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:38:13 »
No. The PCB has everything set in the way it is intended by that design. If that's something you're interested in, there are other keyboards that do just this. I think one with a similar layout is the Keycool 84 or the Noppoo Choc Mini.

edit: picture

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:38:35 »
If you mean to switch them from staggered to being directly over, then no. That would require a new PCB, as the holes are set on the PCB
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Naweo

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:50:39 »
Thank you guys.

Perhaps youīd be as friendly with more to answer another question:

Why is the top layer slightly farther away than other rows?

(Somthing like 0.1 milimeter)

On the KBT race keyboard:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7025/6539045517_be47c3370b.jpg

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:52:38 »
Thank you guys.

Perhaps youīd be as friendly with more to answer another question:

Why is the top layer slightly farther away than other rows?

(Somthing like 0.1 milimeter)

On the KBT race keyboard:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7025/6539045517_be47c3370b.jpg

Heh, I've never noticed that. I think that was just taken at a really awkward angle though, so the spacing looks a little exaggerated. There is a little bit of space on the top row to accomodate for the R5 caps, because they slant a little bit more at the front due to the different profile.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:53:57 »
Hmm, I never noticed that on my Race. But then, I didn't use it extensively, and didn't pay much attention when I did.

I would think they wanted to give some sort of separation, being that most people are use to that on most keyboards. But they couldn't go TOO far, without having to introduce a plastic bar to separate or without looking ugly, while still not defeating the intent of keeping everything compact.

Also, maybe it's an illusion in the caps? The Race is special in that where most keyboards have the top two rows with the same height of caps, the Race has a top row with a higher height than the one below it. Perhaps that change in the caps causes them to be separated? Perhaps you could try replacing them with a different set of caps and see if the same happens?

Offline Naweo

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:04:33 »
Thanks again, sincerely.

To increase the friendlyness of your friendlyness with more friendlyness to answer a 3rd question:

Is it possible to turn a MAC mechanical keyboard (speciafically, DSI modular gaming keyboard) into a windows keyboard?

Or is that screwing with gravity?

- I notive _EVERYTHING_ on a mechanical keyboard when it comes to the exterior parts. This small pushout on the upper row is, to the concious people, actually a greater annoynace given the thought of barely being able to reach f5 if your fingers are relatively small or your palm-rest is very low.

Also, a slightly higher top row can never be more important than proper placement. Also, there is nothing custom keycaps canīt fix.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:06:46 by Naweo »

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:06:39 »
Thanks again, sincerely.

To increase the friendlyness of your friendlyness with more friendlyness to answer a 3rd question:

Is it possible to turn a MAC mechanical keyboard (speciafically, DSI modular gaming keyboard) into a windows keyboard?

Or is that screwing with gravity?

I can't see why it wouldn't interface properly with a PC. If it doesn't work as you would like, you could always use autohotkey to remap the board.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:08:28 »
I am very familiar with autohotkey, but I am unsure to what relevance it would have given a mac keyboard uses the same writing interface as a window keyboard presumably?

My only concern is if the keyboard would even be registered by my system when plugged in the usb port.

Although, on various websites itīs said that itīs only compatible with MAC.

Why would you make a mac keyboard like this anyway? (Gaming keyboards)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:10:39 »
The only real way to know is to try it and see. It shouldn't have a problem being picked up. The only problem might be that some keys don't work like you would expect them to. But I think that happens more the other way. I don't anticipate an issue. Even when I put my HHKB in Mac Mode, it still works on my Windows PC just fine.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:11:23 »
I am very familiar with autohotkey, but I am unsure to what relevance it would have given a mac keyboard uses the same writing interface as a window keyboard presumably?

My only concern is if the keyboard would even be registered by my system when plugged in the usb port.

Although, on various websites itīs said that itīs only compatible with MAC.

Why would you make a mac keyboard like this anyway? (Gaming keyboards)

Niche market, why not hit it if you can?

Offline Naweo

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:17:19 »
I suppose a mac user is satisfied with anything that can type the alphabet, no offence.

I believe mac computers are very... non-competitively satisfying for esports games.

If you wish to enjoy skyrim with cherry MX red switches, then I completely see the point in the development.

So you think a DSI would work on a PC?

EDIT:

About the KBT race, it is stated in their manual
"1. Program A as 123: FN + Right CTRL, A, 1, 2, 3, PN
2. Continue to program FN + A as 456: FN + A, 4, 5, 6, PN
3. Continue to program B as CTRL + C: B, CTRL (Not release), C, Release CTRL and C, PN
4. Continue to program C invoking CMD under WIN7: WIN, C, FN + G, M, FN+G, D, FN+H,ENTER, PN
5. Finish programming: FN + Right CTRL
6. Invoking programmed A: PN + A => Output 123
7. Invoking programmed FN + A: PN + FN+ A => Output 456
8. Invoking programmed C: PN + C => Running CMD.EXE
9. Switch to PN layer: Toggle => Toggle LED on
(1)Invoking programmed B: B => Output CTRL + C (Same as copy)
 (2)Invoking programmed FN + A: FN+ A => Output 456(No need to press PN)
(3)Invoking programmed C: C => Running CMD.EXE (4)
If you need to get the A back (Now pressing A is 123): PN + A => A"

In number 2, I believe "FN+A" acts a a single key, the way I want CTRL, ALT or SHIFT + A to act.

I guess Itīs better to ask them.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:26:25 by Naweo »