Author Topic: creating a micro usb slot in your mouse...  (Read 2799 times)

Offline roaming pear

• THE Roaming Pear
creating a micro usb slot in your mouse...
« on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 19:08:44 »
Is this possible?  I'm assuming its not IMpossible, but I dunno if it has been done before and how hard or easy it is to do...

I want to detach the attatched usb cable from the mouse and put in a micro usb slot instead.  That way, I can just plugin and out the mouse whenever I want.  It makes it easy to change the place of the mouse and I Can use custom cables if I choose to do so...

Does anyone have any accessories or key caps or other poker 2 related things lying around that they are not using?  I don't mind taking it off your hands if you no longer want it...

Offline PointyFox

Re: creating a micro usb slot in your mouse...
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 19:18:17 »
I see no reason it would be difficult, though it may get loose over time.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 19:31:22 »
Well, I know there are several wireless mice that do this(you could just use one of those without batteries in it), but I don't think it'd be too hard to mod it into a mouse. No idea how to go about it though.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 20:01:02 »
Should be as simple as cutting the wire, soldering the correct leads to a micro port (why micro rather than mini, just out of curiosity), opening up the hole to the appropriate size where the cable used to come out, and mounting the port to the mouse chassis. The mounting would be by far the hardest part, because you wouldn't have a designed mount point. Don't know what material to suggest. My first inclination would be some form of epoxy, but if it gets in the port you're SOL.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 20:30:59 »
My suggestion would be to just cut the cord and put a female connector a couple inches from the mouse.  This way you don't have to open the mouse and/or figure out how to mount the connector.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 21:35:15 »
My suggestion would be to just cut the cord and put a female connector a couple inches from the mouse.  This way you don't have to open the mouse and/or figure out how to mount the connector.

That does sound like a better option -- only issue I can see with that is having the extra weight of the pair of connectors partway up the cable, and the mouse could potentially change its resistance to movement based on it. With the cable attaching directly to the mouse, it's all one piece basically.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 21:46:50 »
The resistance wouldn't be any different with a wireless mouse that has a wired option like my Naga Epic.

Edit:  Besides the OP is adding an extra connection anyway, may as well make it easier to install.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 May 2014, 22:41:21 »
The resistance wouldn't be any different with a wireless mouse that has a wired option like my Naga Epic.

Edit:  Besides the OP is adding an extra connection anyway, may as well make it easier to install.

The weight distribution in the cable would be different -- it wouldn't be even. There would be more mass where the connectors are then if there was just a cable there.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 02:03:55 »

The weight distribution in the cable would be different -- it wouldn't be even. There would be more mass where the connectors are then if there was just a cable there.

Maybe we could combine Melvangs idea with a mouse cord lifter.

Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline JoeC

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 00:36:48 »

Interesting, perhaps the cord off the mouse could be long enough to go over a bungee, then have the modded connection, and perhaps another bungee?
Lurk Moar!!!!!

Offline feizor

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 00:42:04 »

Interesting, perhaps the cord off the mouse could be long enough to go over a bungee, then have the modded connection, and perhaps another bungee?

Was just thinking the same thing as I was scrolling down. But  then I thought why not just get a USB extension cable for 1$ off eBay?

Offline blackbox

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 01:10:41 »

Was just thinking the same thing as I was scrolling down. But  then I thought why not just get a USB extension cable for 1$ off eBay?
As long as the usb connector is lifted and dosent create any friction while moving the mouse that is good idea.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0