Author Topic: Are keycaps really so expensive?  (Read 5920 times)

Offline dantan

Are keycaps really so expensive?
« on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 12:34:25 »
I found an ebay listing WASD Code Keyboard Cherry MX Green Switch TKL by a seller called flockofmyles.

He claimed the keycaps on the WASD were worth $100.

It looks really suspicious that a bunch of mismatched keycaps are so expensive.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Are keycaps really so expensive?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 12:43:13 »
Depending on the caps, yes they can be that expensive

go take a look in the group buy section and note the prices, or look at some artisan caps (clickclack's for example where some single caps are worth more than some boards)

Offline isaske

• Stop whining!
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 12:45:39 »
Yes, some are, some aren't.
The good, quality sets are around 100$. You can also order on TaoBao or somewhere cheap and get caps for 30 - 40$. But there is a noticeable difference in quality (cap thickness, font, colors, etc.)
HOW DO I COMPUTER?

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 13:11:49 »
Yea a nice IMTSO thick PBT cherry profile set is around $100. To me they were worth it and I have bought a couple. I don't know enough about all the other keys and plastic types to make an educated recommendation on anything else but with a high price point for very quality caps being around $100 for a 104 set, the same price for anything that's potentially less quality would be questionable.

example http://imsto.cn/index.php?route=product/product&page=2&manufacturer_id=13&product_id=59
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 May 2014, 13:14:23 by Psybin »

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 13:17:55 »
This is the board in question:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WASD-Code-Keyboard-Cherry-MX-Green-Switch-TKL-/281341539654?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item4181433546

I cant even tell if he mean he is selling those keycaps with it in the first place.

He is also selling an SSK for 750 and a new F XT for 550  :blank:

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 13:53:08 »
If you add up the price he paid for each individual novelty cap on that board, sure it might be somewhere around 100 bucks. But I don't really think they should hold on to that full value if he's re-selling, considering a lot of those are still readily available.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 17:39:18 »
If you add up the price he paid for each individual novelty cap on that board, sure it might be somewhere around 100 bucks. But I don't really think they should hold on to that full value if he's re-selling, considering a lot of those are still readily available.

I'm not even sure that's true lol... seems like a rip-off to me!

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 17:47:57 »

I'm not even sure that's true lol... seems like a rip-off to me!

I see nothing "special" about those keycaps, just a bunch of mass produced, easily obtainable caps

why are you looking at that particular board and not a new piece?

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 18:49:23 »
plus if you buy that board you either need to take most of those keycaps off, or have a board that looks like garbage.. that thing is hideous >_0

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 19:31:08 »
Well, I just counted really quickly, and I saw 53 keycaps that were not stock CODE keycaps. If you do $2 x 53 that's over $100. And not to mention that most, if not all of those are more than $2 @ retail. :p Still a horrendous deal, though. I don't think anyone wants those EXACT keycaps, etc.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 19:52:52 »
He must be a GH'er with all those GB keycaps.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 20:00:07 »
Not really, all of those keycaps are available through techkeys, keypop, and originative.

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 20:22:22 »
Buy a new board of your choosing plus a nice set of thick cherry profile caps and then lurk for the next artisan cap sale to dress it up. I wouldn't bother with that used and meh board.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 20:37:49 »
Backspace, A, S, D and [{ look like Tai hao - OEM profile.  Many of the rest are DCS profile.

The mismatch in key height would make that keyboard somewhat uncomfortable to type on.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 20:38:24 »
I just...don't even understand this thread.

Offline moptimus

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 21:18:39 »
It is a pretty good way to get rid of some surplus keys if you can get the board to move, just relying on someone wanting it enough.

Looks like a lot of buyers remorse tbh - all these novelties and no where to use them.

Filco TKL Brown| Dox Clear| Poker II Brown| QFR Red| Ducky Zero Blue Dolch| Ducky 9087G2 Black

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 21:42:59 »
To me adding so many novelty keycaps to a CODE keyboard destroys its essential simplicity.

The black keys with white backlighting is spoiled by so many random novelty caps.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 22:34:43 »
The incremental cost of producing single-injection-molded keycaps is probably only a few bucks per keyboard, but the tooling and overhead is pretty steep, so anything done in small batches ends up being very expensive. Double injection molding or dye sublimation probably costs a bit more, but again most of the cost is fixed overhead, not per-set.

If you have 100,000 identical sets of keycaps you want to produce, you can get someone in China to make them for very cheap. If you only want 10 sets, you’re going to have to pay a lot for it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 May 2014, 22:36:55 by jacobolus »

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 22:48:54 »
wat

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:44:46 »
The incremental cost of producing single-injection-molded keycaps is probably only a few bucks per keyboard, but the tooling and overhead is pretty steep, so anything done in small batches ends up being very expensive. Double injection molding or dye sublimation probably costs a bit more, but again most of the cost is fixed overhead, not per-set.

If you have 100,000 identical sets of keycaps you want to produce, you can get someone in China to make them for very cheap. If you only want 10 sets, you’re going to have to pay a lot for it.

did you even remotely read the OP?

Offline Kayla

• :3
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:53:18 »
That is like the ugliest keyboard ever and its just a bunch of retail caps that are made by the thousands. Nothing there is rare. The board is worth the re-sale value of the code and thats all. Get a new board.. :p

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 23:57:48 »
Yes. The OP is wondering whether this thing has keycaps worth $100:

I could certainly believe that the seller paid $100 for those specific keycaps (or he might have paid much less, I have no specific knowledge here). I won’t speculate about what they’re “worth”: it depends on supply and demand.

More generally, the incremental production costs is only a few cents per keycap, assuming large quantities. However, since these are produced in small batches for a niche audience, the large fixed overhead could drive costs up dramatically.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 June 2014, 00:01:09 by jacobolus »

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 00:07:09 »
Show Image

I could certainly believe that the seller paid $100 for those specific keycaps (or he might have paid much less, I have no specific knowledge here). I won’t speculate about what they’re “worth”: it depends on supply and demand.

More generally, the incremental production costs is only a few cents per keycap, assuming large quantities. However, since these are produced in small batches for a niche audience, the large fixed overhead could drive costs up dramatically.

Most of those novelties cost $3+ at techkeys/keypop etc. I think the right shift cost $4,99. Anyway, the keycaps definitely have a $100+ value at retail.
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 01:41:05 »
Not really, all of those keycaps are available through techkeys, keypop, and originative.

Sure but most people don't find/use those sites without being familiar with this or similar sites.

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 21:54:43 »
Yes, keycaps can be quite expensive, those particular keycaps are not. He probably paid over $100 for the board and another $100 for the keycaps, but that board, as it is, is not worth $250. He's trying to sell it as one piece, and it's pretty unlikely anyone is looking for all of those keys. He'd be better off selling the keys solo and the board separately, since he has the original keycaps.
c h e r

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 22:17:58 »
Show Image

Jesus, this guy took unicorn vomit to heart.
;)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 06:32:37 »
They probably cost the seller that to collect them, but I wouldn't pay that much for that mess of novelty caps. There are maybe only 4 or 5 I would even want. Not to mention that most of them are thin ABS in DCS profile and not that great to type on. And the fact that most of the alphas are OEM profile, so they don't even match.

Just buy a decent board in the layout you like with the switches you like and join in Ivan's GMK Dolch Group Buy before July 1 (http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58608.0). Last keycaps you'll need, look good on any board and they should feel fantastic to use.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 06:54:14 »
I never understood the love for a vomit keyboard, I mean you may like it if you are 13 I guess but you won't have the money to make one so...
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 07:32:40 »
I never understood the love for a vomit keyboard, I mean you may like it if you are 13 I guess but you won't have the money to make one so...

Before this, the only vomit boards I'd seen before were made up of grab bag caps and were just jokes.
;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 15:01:52 »

Before this, the only vomit boards I'd seen before were made up of grab bag caps and were just jokes.

You have led a sheltered life :))

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36709.0

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 17:42:39 »
Ah yes, my favorite thread.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dantan

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 02:00:03 »
That is like the ugliest keyboard ever and its just a bunch of retail caps that are made by the thousands. Nothing there is rare. The board is worth the re-sale value of the code and thats all. Get a new board.. :p

Yes, it seems the seller is not offering a fair deal. He's clearly trying to get rid of odds and ends he collected.