Author Topic: Introducing yet another new guy to the forum  (Read 865 times)

Offline Brandfuchs

Introducing yet another new guy to the forum
« on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 21:32:57 »
Now, I have been into mechanical keyboards for quite some time, I have just not been on this forum. My absolute faves are the buckling spring models, to say that right away. I spend most of my time writing articles, so the keyboard is my tool of trade and the interest in their workings comes natural I would think.

For my last birthday, I got another keyboard - First one with Cherry MX-Blue switches, a KBT Poker II, PBT keycaps. Decided to finally join this forum after I unboxed it, curious as this might sound.
And this is what I thought you might be interested in for now, what keyboards am I using and have I been using?

My current arsenal (of mechanical keyboards alone, of course) consist of:
  • KBT Poker II, Cherry MX-Blue switches, PBT keycaps
  • Compaq MX-11800, Cherry MX-Brown switches
  • Matias Mini Quiet Pro, dampened ALPS switches
  • Unicomp Ultra Classic 105 White USB, Buckling Spring switches
  • Unicomp Classic 105 Black USB, Buckling Spring switches
  • IBM Model M, 1394542 built 1995, Buckling Spring switches
  • IBM Model M, 1391403 built 1990, Buckling Spring switches

The green glow indicates the models that are in current, frequent (if not daily) use. The KBT is the one I use most now, even though it is the newest. I have actually been using Cherry MX-Blue switches in the distant past, but it has been ages since. They are pleasant to use for me, nice and crisp.

I could post photos of those keyboard, if such things are expected, but they are fairly standard models - each within their description.

I hope my introduction was ok. :)

Yours

~Brandfuchs

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Introducing yet another new guy to the forum
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 31 May 2014, 21:53:58 »
Ah, so no stranger to the keyboards. You'll do just fine here, unless you were hoping to not spend more money, then you've come to the wrong place...

Buckling springs are tied for my favorite switches with Topre.

Offline Brandfuchs

Re: Introducing yet another new guy to the forum
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 June 2014, 08:56:02 »
Thank you very much! Honestly, I do not think I need to spend more money right now, since I have all the tools that I need at my disposal. Well, there are things that would nice to still have, ok, I admit it, but... ^^;

I mean, this Ducky Shine 3 Slim is really shiny! But... you know, this "but", that is a profound argument against buying something like that when you are technically perfectly happy with all the keyboards you got, plus reserves even... right? I am sure that's right.
However, if this April Fools Joke that Unicomp cruely played on their Facebook page would turn out not to be a joke and they would actually produce an 83/4 keys buckling spring keyboard... well, let's better not think about that... !

About the Topre, I never used them. Are there any affordable keyboards that they come with and what would you describe their action to be like?

Thanks in advance

~ Brandfuchs