Author Topic: Thick PBT (Vortex) + Code keyboard (Clears) [PROBLEM!]  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
Thick PBT (Vortex) + Code keyboard (Clears) [PROBLEM!]
« on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 21:22:34 »
So, I love my new board more then any I've ever owned. However! Sometimes my space bar sticks some. I'm not sure how to reproduce the problem. Anyone else with thick pbts on their CODE having this issue? I don't mind at all to shave down the key if necessary, I just don't know what part to shave. Any and all suggestions welcome! Thanks guys!
I hate everything.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Thick PBT (Vortex) + Code keyboard (Clears) [PROBLEM!]
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 02 June 2014, 22:37:34 »
Which bit sticks?

Are you sure it is seated properly?

Costar stabilisers?  Are you sure the stabiliser inserts are inserted the right way around and not loose?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 06:22:56 »
^^This. Sounds stabilizer related. PBT warps easily, so the stabiliser and switch stem mounts may not line up nicely. If you remove the spacebar and lay it flat, is it bent or twisted at all? If so, you can pop it in some hot water for a while, then place it on a flat surface, put something softish on it to protect it and lay a bunch of books on top to keep it straight as it cools down.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 07:51:38 »
^^This. Sounds stabilizer related. PBT warps easily, so the stabiliser and switch stem mounts may not line up nicely. If you remove the spacebar and lay it flat, is it bent or twisted at all? If so, you can pop it in some hot water for a while, then place it on a flat surface, put something softish on it to protect it and lay a bunch of books on top to keep it straight as it cools down.

I actually have the same spacebar stickiness problem with my ABS DSA set from SP. The spacebar is a little warped but only very slightly compared to some of the photos I've seen here.

I changed the spacebar switch to a heavier spring and while it feels better, it's still not as crisp as before with the stock spacebar. After a week or 2 with it, I've gotten a little accustomed to it but it's still not as good as it was.

I'm using cherry stabs btw. Do you think the method you've suggested would work for abs caps as well? Thing is, the warp is so slight when I place it flat on my table it's hard to believe that such a small warping can make such a big difference in feel

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 10:55:42 »
So, I love my new board more then any I've ever owned. However! Sometimes my space bar sticks some. I'm not sure how to reproduce the problem. Anyone else with thick pbts on their CODE having this issue? I don't mind at all to shave down the key if necessary, I just don't know what part to shave. Any and all suggestions welcome! Thanks guys!

_Just_ put the Vortex thick PBT white on black doubleshots on my Code yesterday. I ran into that on a couple of the stabilized keys, and I'm pretty sure it has to do with the white plastic inserts getting pulled out slightly while putting the keycap back on. I fixed it by removing the keycap, re-seating the inserts, and then carefully putting the keycap back on making sure that the inserts didn't get pulled while doing so.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 17:10:43 »
Positive it's seated correctly, and the stabs are tight and placed correctly. The bar sits flat on glass now. It has a VERY slight wobble to it before. I threw it in hot water and did that little trick. So far it hasn't stuck again, but I'm not gaming and going hardcore on it ha. Thanks for the replies guys!
I hate everything.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 18:04:41 »
Welp, it's still sticking. Not sure if it's a problem with the switch or the space. The switch looks and feels normal, but so does the bar itself.
I hate everything.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 18:08:52 »
Is it obvious that the space bar is grinding against the case?

If not, then it is probably the stabiliser hitting the underside of the keycap.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 June 2014, 19:42:37 »
Could the stabilizer bar be bent? WASD's stabilizers don't quite have the free range of motion that most Costar stabs have. I also don't like how the landing is kinda soft on the WASD :(

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 04:01:24 »
It could be that the stabiliser bar is hitting the inside of the cap. In that case you need to find the spot and sand / shave it down. Can happen with thick keycaps and Costar stabs. Not sure the best way to check this, though. Perhaps put some kind of marker on the bar before installing the cap and see if it marks the inside of the cap when used?
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 12:40:48 »
Well I switched to a poopy shiny old ABS bar to see if the problem continued and it doesn't do it at all. Using the same stabs/inserts. So it has to be something with the cap. I'm going to post some pictures and maybe you guys can see something I cant, but I swear I don't see anything wrong with it.
I hate everything.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 12:45:45 »
IF you guys see something you think I should shave down, please doodle on it in paint so I can see exactly where you're referring to.

I was thinking MAYBE it could be the extra hole in the center for the switch to be inserted getting hung on the switch housing. This ABS one doesn't have that.

I hate everything.

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 11:34:10 »
I know what the problem is. You have costar stabilizers correct? The costar mounting bracket (plastic thats in the plate where the wire goes into) rubs against thick pbt keycaps (the inside edge), which makes it feel like its not bottoming out correctly, and sometimes it clicks past and bottoms out because the mounting bracket clicks past the inside edge of the keycap. Take an xacto knife and shave away some material along the inside edge beside the stem insert that is being used. Do that on all four points (front edge and back edge for left stem, ditto for right stem). Should solve any weird bottoming out feeling.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 June 2014, 11:38:17 by PolaBurrr »

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 15:34:55 »
Actually! I figured it out last night. It's because the stab bar is straight, and rubs the switch housing.
It's NOT like this. I borrowed one last night and it solved the problem instantly.

WASD said he'd ship me one out like this one today. Stoked. My favorite keyboard ever. Can't wait to slam it into a alum filco case.

« Last Edit: Thu, 05 June 2014, 15:37:09 by Awful »
I hate everything.

Offline sdiearly

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 22:01:00 »
Actually! I figured it out last night. It's because the stab bar is straight, and rubs the switch housing.
It's NOT like this. I borrowed one last night and it solved the problem instantly.

WASD said he'd ship me one out like this one today. Stoked. My favorite keyboard ever. Can't wait to slam it into a alum filco case.

Show Image

There is a little issue happened on stab bar.
The stabilizer is design as straight and 90 degree(vertical on switch housing).
If key caps is thick type, the front side of key cap will rub this stabs easily.

A better way to prevent linkage interference is make the angle be 85 degree, deflect to switch.
My favorite 60%:  TEX-Beetle
                 80%:  KBtalKing Race
                100%: Cherry G80-3494, Zowie Celeritas

Offline PolaBurrr

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 10:22:38 »

Show Image

There is a little issue happened on stab bar.
The stabilizer is design as straight and 90 degree(vertical on switch housing).
If key caps is thick type, the front side of key cap will rub this stabs easily.

A better way to prevent linkage interference is make the angle be 85 degree, deflect to switch.

The keycap doesn't rub the vertical portion of the stabilizer bracket, but the bottom edge of the bracket that just sticks up over the plate. A better way to prevent this would be to make the stabilizer brackets shorter in length (up/down-wise) so the bottom rectangular edge won't scrape thick keycaps.

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 17:06:24 »

Show Image

I had this problem too (with the stock keycaps).

Lubbing this "straight" stab did not solve anything.

I tried flipping my space bar and it worked : No more sticking.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 July 2014, 17:08:20 by Lpwl »