Author Topic: Spacebar problem with my new mechanical keyboard  (Read 34825 times)

Offline exit

Spacebar problem with my new mechanical keyboard
« on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 04:10:43 »
So I've been having issues with my new mechanical keyboard that I bought yesterday. When the spacebar is leaned back and pressed down, it stays down. This is really annoying and I'm pretty sure it shouldn't happen. I think its getting pushed down into the wire stabilizer under it, anyway to solve this problem? Pretty sure it uses Costar stabilizers.

My keyboard:   http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-durandal-esport-edition-backlit-mechanical-keyboard.html                         

Edit: Here are photos:   http://imgur.com/a/kAmTs       

Edit 2, SPACEBAR OFF!:              http://imgur.com/NOkyaW4,VeYfIwT         
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 June 2014, 06:49:01 by exit »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Spacebar problem with my new mechanical keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 05:21:05 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Costar stabilisers - I would suggest completely removing the space bar, make sure both stabiliser inserts are the correct way around and pushed all teh way into the spae bar.  Also make sure they are not loose, although with the standard key caps this should not be a problem.

Then reset the space bar.

Also check to see if the space bar is catching on the front of the case.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline exit

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 06:26:51 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Costar stabilisers - I would suggest completely removing the space bar, make sure both stabiliser inserts are the correct way around and pushed all teh way into the spae bar.  Also make sure they are not loose, although with the standard key caps this should not be a problem.

Hm.. they're definitely not catching on the case. When i push it down on a certain angle, the spacebar seems to jam onto something. Are the stabilizer inserts the white things on both sides of the keyboard? I'm pretty new on mechanical keyboards so I don't know much about how the stabilizer is supposed to be set up. Check my photos, I'll try to get the whole spacebar off tomorrow.

EDIT: Got pics of spacebar: http://imgur.com/NOkyaW4,VeYfIwT
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 June 2014, 06:50:02 by exit »

Offline jabar

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 07:41:58 »
Yes, if the inserts, the small white loops inserted into the cruciforms, are flipped, the stabilizer key will stick. This also happens to shift keys, returns, etc when they aren't oriented properly.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 10:19:23 »
Yes, if the inserts, the small white loops inserted into the cruciforms, are flipped, the stabilizer key will stick. This also happens to shift keys, returns, etc when they aren't oriented properly.

Exit, can you post back if this fixes your problem?

I found it odd to see that your spacebar LED is north oriented...Most LED boards have their spacebar switch flipped.  Doubt that's what's causing the problem...but still..

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 17:44:57 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Hm.. they're definitely not catching on the case. When i push it down on a certain angle, the spacebar seems to jam onto something. Are the stabilizer inserts the white things on both sides of the keyboard? I'm pretty new on mechanical keyboards so I don't know much about how the stabilizer is supposed to be set up. Check my photos, I'll try to get the whole spacebar off tomorrow.

From that picture the stabiliser bar (the metal rod) looks bent!

Is it catching on the LED by any chance?

Yes, stabiliser inserts are the little white things pushed into the stems underneath the keycap.  One side of them is longer than the other - the longer side should point towards the top of the keyboard (where F1-F12 are).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 20:19:07 »
Yeah iOne... they are so lame they can't even bend a stabilizer wire properly. The way they do it, it just grinds against the switch and causes friction and jamming. You will want a new one that is like this with a bend for clearance:

Should solve the problem, if not then the LED might still be a problem as LED and these type of stabilizer don't do that well together.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 June 2014, 20:20:47 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline exit

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 00:42:20 »
Ok guys, the shop I bought the keyboard from is going to send me a new spacebar, if that doesn't solve the problem, I can send the keyboard back.

Edit: the stabilizer wire is supposed to be bent, there's a bit of plastic on the back holding it there so I assume it's intentional. Its not catching onto anything, the switch/led is pushing the wire back, but it looks intentional.

Yeah iOne... they are so lame they can't even bend a stabilizer wire properly. The way they do it, it just grinds against the switch and causes friction and jamming. You will want a new one that is like this with a bend for clearance:
Show Image

Should solve the problem, if not then the LED might still be a problem as LED and these type of stabilizer don't do that well together.

I hope you're right so that I don't have to stress that the spacebar is broken because of me :p (its probably not my fault since i didn't do anything to the spacebar before it acted this way)

Note that the rest of the keyboard is working 100% perfect, just the spacebar that has problems and felt concerning since I first pressed it.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Yes, stabiliser inserts are the little white things pushed into the stems underneath the keycap.  One side of them is longer than the other - the longer side should point towards the top of the keyboard (where F1-F12 are).

Edit: You're probably right, the longer side of the peg seems to be facing the wristrest instead of the F1-F12 keys, not too comfortable on pulling the white pegs out since they seem quite firm and I will probably break it, hopefully the new spacebar they send will fix the problem.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 June 2014, 02:04:26 by exit »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 02:17:49 »

Edit: You're probably right, the longer side of the peg seems to be facing the wristrest instead of the F1-F12 keys, not too comfortable on pulling the white pegs out since they seem quite firm and I will probably break it, hopefully the new spacebar they send will fix the problem.

If you are getting a new space bar, you probably won't get new stabiliser inserts with it.

Might be a good idea to carefully extract the one that is the wrong way around now, in preparation.

Once you get the first one out, the process becomes easier.

Just don't try to pull it up from the rectangular opening where the stabiliser bar goes - it will just snap.

Try to insert a finger nail under the sides of it, immediately above the stem on the keycap.  Alternate sides, take it slowly.

Offline exit

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 03:07:39 »

If you are getting a new space bar, you probably won't get new stabiliser inserts with it.

Might be a good idea to carefully extract the one that is the wrong way around now, in preparation.

Just don't try to pull it up from the rectangular opening where the stabiliser bar goes - it will just snap.

Try to insert a finger nail under the sides of it, immediately above the stem on the keycap.  Alternate sides, take it slowly.

I don't want to damage my fingernails just yet, I'll try do it if I get the chance to speak with the shop to make sure it won't void my warranty or anything, thanks for the suggestion.

Offline exit

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 03:09:58 »

I don't want to damage my fingernails just yet, I'll try do it if I get the chance to speak with the shop to make sure it won't void my warranty or anything, thanks for the suggestion.

just damaged one of the stabilizer stems by trying to put the spacebar back on..
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 June 2014, 03:15:33 by exit »

Offline Folio

• I'm a nice guy.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 09:53:51 »
just damaged one of the stabilizer stems by trying to put the spacebar back on..

Hey exit. If you broke your stem, try going here: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts.html

And check out this video for removal and installation of stems/stabilizers:
t=32

Hope this helps.

Offline exit

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 01:15:22 »
New spacebar I'm getting will have stabilizers.