Author Topic: Replacement keyboard (DS3, QFR-I) & Keycaps  (Read 742 times)

Offline BeMacized

Replacement keyboard (DS3, QFR-I) & Keycaps
« on: Wed, 04 June 2014, 15:29:40 »
Hi everyone,

First of all, sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I'm kinda new here!
A while ago, I bought my first mech: a Razer BW2013 Ultimate with MX Blues. Ever since I switched from using Apple keyboards (which I used for 5 years prior) to this, I never wanna go back!
Currently, I feel like replacing it, because I am looking for something more portable to take with me, and which is a little more quiet than my current blues (I want to get off the "all-razer" mentality as well).

Now I've stumbled upon 2 keyboards which grabbed my interest: The Ducky Shine 3 TKL, and the new CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (soon to be released). Both with white backlighting and MX Browns.
Here in Holland, I can get the DS3 for about 150 euros ($200), whereas I can get the QFR-I for 80 ($110), 100 including shipping ($135).

Now my first question is, what is the exact difference between the two boards, to justify the $65-$90 difference between the two?
I've read mixed reactions all over the place. For what I can see, the QFR-I has 2 lighting modes less, which doesn't matter to me, as those 2 modes aren't too great imo anyways. Also the argument has been coming up that the duckys are more customizable when it comes to lighting combinations, but that's not that important for me again, since both seem to offer MX browns in combination with white lighting.
Is the build quality just _that_ different? What am I missing? or is the QFR-I just a great option too?

Second question I have is about some keycaps. I found some great looking ones over here, which I might consider purchasing for the replacement keyboard: http://bit.ly/1x8K4vR. Zinc blank keycaps. Does anyone have any experience with these? If so, what is their quality? Again, I've read mixed responses to these, so I'm not exactly sure whether they are worth the purchase.

Thanks for the help!

~BeMacized