Author Topic: Brown cherry ping  (Read 1818 times)

Offline anitract

Brown cherry ping
« on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 09:13:31 »
I recently purchased a Filco keypad - my first foray into cherries of any kind.  I have noticed that a few of the keys, if struck hard enough, produce a high pitched ping / ringing sound (definitely metallic in nature).

I don't think that the pinging noise is produced with standard force key presses, but if I really hit a key I can hear it.

That said, is this a regular sound associated with brown cherries in general, or something associated with Filco boards?  Just curious as I am close to purchasing the matching 10-keyless Filco board (as the Keypad is so nice)...

Offline itlnstln

Brown cherry ping
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 09:17:26 »
I can hear that ping on my Cherry G80-3000 if I listen closely.  I think that the case materials either help dampen or amplifly the ping.  My Filco is very inert, and I don't hear the pinging sound at all (that and the switches are plate-mounted and, therefore, more rigid).  The G80 is much lighter and the switches are PCB mounted, so there is much less rigidity in the casing allowing the ping to resonate.

Short version: it's normal.

Offline itlnstln

Brown cherry ping
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 May 2009, 10:14:59 »
I might check that stuff out for my Northgate.  Noise is the number one reason I don't use it.

Offline watduzhkstand4

Brown cherry ping
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 19:47:30 »
you're right, I can hear the ping too. I have the MX11800 and this is the only one that makes me want to slam on the keyboard as I type. This should be fine.
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN