Author Topic: Weird keyboard  (Read 2812 times)

Offline CX23882

Weird keyboard
« on: Sat, 09 May 2009, 02:28:06 »
I saw a weird keyboard in one of our offices today. I'll try and get a picture of it but don't have anything now.

It's one of those early-2000's curvy beige wireless designs that Logitech made so popular (it's not a Logitech though). The weirdness is in the layout of the keys. I believe that they're all in the regular positions, but rather than being square/rectangular in shape, they're trapezoidal shaped (or they might have been parallelograms), working up in an A-shape (or inverted-V). The home keys then have a long raised ridge on the edge rather than the typical bumps or Cherry-scoops.

Has anyone seen anything like that before?

It was similar to this:
http://www.dansdata.com/a4input.htm
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 May 2009, 02:30:30 by CX23882 »

Offline Manyak

Weird keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 May 2009, 02:51:36 »
I thought it was Microsoft that started the wavy ergonomic keyboard thing.

But nope I have no idea which board it could be.
Currently Owned:
Filco FKBN104MC/EB - Model M 1390131 \'86 - Model M 1391401 NIB - Unicomp Endurapro NIB - iRocks KR-6230 - Compaq MX-11800 - Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 - Cherry ML-4100 - Cherry MY-8000-something - Dell AT101W (Black) - ABS M1 - Siig Minitouch - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys NIB - Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 - Deck Legend

Offline ozar

Weird keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 12:01:23 »
Quote from: CX23882;90002
Has anyone seen anything like that before?

It was similar to this:
http://www.dansdata.com/a4input.htm

Yes, I've seen one like that but can't remember where I saw it.  Searching the web hasn't produced anything yet, either.

Will post the info should I run across it again.

Offline itlnstln

Weird keyboard
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 May 2009, 07:40:26 »
Quote from: Manyak;90003
I thought it was Microsoft that started the wavy ergonomic keyboard thing.

But nope I have no idea which board it could be.

MS made them affordable.  When they came out, ergo 'boards (like the M15 that was available at the time) cost an arm and a leg.  The MS Natural was one of the first that was available for less than $100.

Offline eugenius

Weird keyboard
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 May 2009, 03:12:41 »
I used one of those, it's crap.  Actually, I used both the fullsize keys version and the slim keys version. The slim keys version is less crap  - meaning the keys are at least easy to press, unlike some other slim keyboard that I used (cough, Saitek, cough) :).

But, to each his own ... I gave the slim keys version to a girl, and she really likes it. :) It's this one:http://www.a4tech.com/ennew/product.asp?cid=2&scid=101&id=279

It's slim, it's silent, it has long and pretty leds, it has an usb port (extension, not a hub), it has that crap x-key structure, it has headphone and microphone jacks (extensions). And it costs 10$.  As turds go, it's a cheap, polished one. :)

Edit: the x-keys structure is crap, the keyboard is a hell of a lot nicer than you get for free if you buy a new desktop these days. The key action is better than the one on the apple keyboards for example, it still has SOME tactile feedback ... which for a 10$ slim keyboard, is a lot. :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 May 2009, 03:34:02 by eugenius »
Cherry ErgoPlus MX5000 + MX5700 / IBM Model M

Offline Manyak

Weird keyboard
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 May 2009, 03:38:50 »
Quote from: itlnstln;90242
MS made them affordable.  When they came out, ergo 'boards (like the M15 that was available at the time) cost an arm and a leg.  The MS Natural was one of the first that was available for less than $100.

Ah, gotcha.

I always did find the hype over ergonomics back in the early 90s pretty funny anyway.
Currently Owned:
Filco FKBN104MC/EB - Model M 1390131 \'86 - Model M 1391401 NIB - Unicomp Endurapro NIB - iRocks KR-6230 - Compaq MX-11800 - Cherry G80-8113HRBUS-2 - Cherry ML-4100 - Cherry MY-8000-something - Dell AT101W (Black) - ABS M1 - Siig Minitouch - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys - Chicony KB-5181 w/ SMK Montereys NIB - Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 - Deck Legend

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Weird keyboard
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 May 2009, 04:36:30 »
Quote from: Manyak;91000
I always did find the hype over ergonomics back in the early 90s pretty funny anyway.

Around '94 it was a serious topic though, as it became apparent that RSI was a real threat to office workers' health. They did not really catch on for 4 reasons only:

1. There are a lot more variables involved in ergonomics than just the keyboard itself. You are probably more likely to mess up with a regular board, but that doesn't mean you can't with an ergonomic one. Conversely, a conventional board can be perfectly OK under the right conditions.
2. The average user is not a touch typist.
3. The average user needs to use a mouse, too, but usually doesn't have a third hand. (The proposed ergonomic applications with all keyboard control didn't show up in the required numbers, or more likely mouse control proved to be more practical in a number of cases. Actually your average application isn't that bad in terms of keyboard control, but specialty stuff can be pretty thoughtlessly written in that regard.)
4. Even among touch typists, ergo boards may fail to account for individual typing habits (number 6 position, anyone?), plus possibly for this reason, there is no single layout that would be universally agreed upon.

For me an ergo board would probably be pretty deadly, as if anything I'd need it to be split pretty far to the right.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline Manyak

Weird keyboard
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 15 May 2009, 05:20:55 »
All true. But its more about the fact that even people who'd only use their computer for an hour or two a week were so paranoid of RSI that they went and bought special desks, chairs, and keyboards. No matter what your habits are 15 minutes a day won't do anything (unless you have arthritis or something, but that's a different story).

It's one thing to take measures against RSI - like using a good wrist rest and not typing while your chair is reclined all the way back all the time. But during those few years people spent millions, maybe billions, replacing their desks, chairs, and keyboards just because they were freaked out.

So yeah even though its a valid threat (if you can call it that), it just turned into the 'swine flu' of the time, if you know what I mean.
Currently Owned:

Offline Mr.6502

Weird keyboard
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 22 May 2009, 08:10:19 »
I have the A4tech KBS-720 at work.  It looks like it has the same button layout as the one CX23882 linked to, but its not a multimedia keyboard.  Just plain, no extra buttons, and a flat metal back instead of the shaped plastic.

When I first found it (it was in a pile of keyboards at the office) I tried it out just because it was so strange looking.  The key shape didn't seem to have any noticeable effect.  I typed the exact same on that as I do on a normal keyboard and I quickly started to forget I was even using something besides a standard key layout.

It felt about the same to use as some of the garbage pack-in keyboards we've gotten with computers at the office.
"Engineers are really good at labeling and branding things ...  If we had named Kentucky Fried Chicken, it would have been Hot Dead Birds."

-Vint Cerf