Author Topic: Turning a wireless keboard into a wired one.  (Read 28580 times)

Offline nuclearpidgeon

• http://members.westnet.com.au/thewebbs/
Turning a wireless keboard into a wired one.
« on: Sat, 09 May 2009, 22:07:09 »
Hello, I'm new here, so forgive me if I exhibit n00b-like symptoms...

I found a keyboard on the side of the road that had been thrown out. It looked to be in pretty good condition, so I took it home to discover it had fallen ill to a coffee spill. I opened it up and washed out the keys and button map (rubber thingy), and then re-assembled it, only to discover that it was a wireless keyboard. Not only that, but it was part of one of those 'mouse and keyboard' desktop combos. I've only recently come across the keyboard again, and it looks pretty nice - I'd like to try and get it working, perhaps even if it requires shipping in some random part from overseas, or making a homebrew reciever.

I'm not quite sure if this is the right forum to post this on, but I read about you guys on webmonkey, and when I pulled out the keyboard again I though it might be worth a shot to see If I could get it working again.

I found the keyboard/mouse combo model on Logitech's website: it's the Cordless Desktop EX 110

Here are some relatively high-res photos of the keyboard plus the inside PCB for the wireless:

Inner PCB:

Inside Keyboard minus rubber mat:

Other side of PCB - that red button is the wireless 'connect' button:

Actual Keyboard:

If you need any more details/photos of the keyboard, just ask

thanks
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 May 2009, 22:09:40 by nuclearpidgeon »

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 May 2009, 23:01:35 »
My first reaction was to say don't bother. Once liquid hits those membranes the hydrophilic action sucks it in between the layers. Unless it is cleaned and dried quickly the tracks get corroded beyond repair.

But the website does say this one is spill-resistant, so who knows?

I doubt it can be converted to cabled operation. Even though there is a tempting block of solder pads where a header might go, I doubt things could be that simple.

Your best bet would be to buy a matching wireless receiver off ebay, maybe with a mouse.

It's a shame this isn't a Bluetooth keyboard, you can buy really good Bluetooth dongles for a couple of bucks.

Anyway, don't spend too much, there is too much chance the spill has ruined it. At least if you buy a mouse+RF unit the money won't be wasted.

Offline nuclearpidgeon

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 00:09:50 »
Quote from: ripster;90088

Best bet may just be to call Logitech and see if they'll sell you the receiver as a replacement part.  May cost more than the keyboard is worth though and there is no insurance something didn't get fried with the coffee spill.

Will do. I thought that it would be worth a shot trying here anyway.

Quote from: ripster;90088

You an Aussie by any chance, the logitech link was an aussie site?  A lot seem to be stopping by Geekhack lately.

Yes indeed, but I have no idea why so many would be flocking over here. Perhaps this site got a write-up in an Aussie magazine.

Quote from: Rajagra;90091

Your best bet would be to buy a matching wireless receiver off ebay, maybe with a mouse.

Had a quick look there, found only the entire package, which is about $AU60

Thanks anyway - I'll try calling Logitech.

One thing that crossed my mind - on the other side of the PCB, you can see those parallel stripes. There's a metal bracket on top when the PCB is in place which forces contact between the PCB 'sensors' (whatever you call that) and the ones on that plastic sheet.

Is this a standard/universal configuration/connection type for a keyboard? for example, could I perhaps raid another wired keyboard and steal a PCB to smack on top in the old one's place?

Thanks again

Offline cchan

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 07:03:48 »
Nope, there is no standards for internal connection of keyboards. Being that that board is a rubber dome board I would just forget it. But thats just me and my prejudice against rubber dome boards.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline huha

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 09:00:58 »
There's no standard, but it could be vendor-specific. Maybe other Logitech 'boards feature identical internal layouts, so you could swap the controller.

I don't know what keyboard this is, but I wouldn't bother. Call Logitech and ask if they can send you a receiver, but if they can't, it's just not worth the hassle.

-huha
Unicomp Endurapro 105 (blank keycaps, BS) // Cherry G80-3000LSCDE-2 (blues, modded to green MX) // Cherry G80-3000LAMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Cherry G80-11900LTMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Compaq G80-11801 (browns) // Epson Q203A (Fujitsu Peerless) // IBM Model M2 (BS) // Boscom AS400 Terminal Emulator (OEM\'d Unicomp, BS, 2x) // Dell AT102DW (black Alps) // Mechanical Touch (chinese BS) Acer 6312-KW (Acer mechanics on membrane) // Cherry G84-4100 (ML) // Cherry G80-1000HAD (NKRO, blacks)

Offline kyamei

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 09:18:18 »
I don't know what that keyboard is worth down under, but at my local Office Depot they go on sale for $20 for the keyboard/mouse combo.  So its probably not worth the effort to try and fix/mod it.  But, if you're doing this just for fun, well there's no advice I can give you since I know nothing of the inner workings of keyboards.
Topre:  Realforce 101, Realforce 87U, HHKB Pro 2
Cherry Brown:  Compaq MX11800
Cherry Blue:  Filco FKBN87MC/EB
Cherry Black:  K-202 numerical keypad
Alps Black:  AT101W, ABS M1
Alps White:  Focus FK-2001
Buckling Springs:  Model M 1391401, Lexmark Model M 82G2383, Model M2
Buckling Sleeves:  Unicomp Model M4
Futaba:  Sejin EAT-1010

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 09:47:39 »
Quote from: nuclearpidgeon;90103
Yes indeed, but I have no idea why so many would be flocking over here. Perhaps this site got a write-up in an Aussie magazine.

Where else would English-speaking keyboard enthusiasts go?  :)

Welcome to geekhack!

If your desire is a full-sized (with numpad), wired keyboard, then the world of QUALITY keyboards is your oyster.  Stick around, educate yourself, and get yourself a real keyboard.

Offline ozar

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 10:16:48 »
Quote from: ripster;90146
Hope we maintain the English speaking part.   I'm too old to understand my teenager's txts:
lol... I never bother to read messages like that.  Just got a few words into your quote above, and I dropped out.  I figure if they are too lazy to type it out properly, I'm too lazy to bother figuring out what it is they are trying to say.  :lol:

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 May 2009, 07:38:14 »
Quote from: ozar;90148
lol... I never bother to read messages like that. Just got a few words into your quote above, and I dropped out. I figure if they are too lazy to type it out properly, I'm too lazy to bother figuring out what it is they are trying to say. :lol:

I find it akin to reading personalized license plates.  There's only so much you can do with 6-8 characters.

Offline nuclearpidgeon

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 02:26:06 »
Quote from: itlnstln;90241
I find it akin to reading personalized license plates.  There's only so much you can do with 6-8 characters.

GEEKHACK, anyone?

Quote from: kyamei;90135
I don't know what that keyboard is worth down under, but at my local Office Depot they go on sale for $20 for the keyboard/mouse combo.  So its probably not worth the effort to try and fix/mod it.  But, if you're doing this just for fun, well there's no advice I can give you since I know nothing of the inner workings of keyboards.

It's a bit more expensive over here - about $AU80 which equates to ~$US60

Quote from: iMav;90140
Where else would English-speaking keyboard enthusiasts go?  :)

Welcome to geekhack!

If your desire is a full-sized (with numpad), wired keyboard, then the world of QUALITY keyboards is your oyster.  Stick around, educate yourself, and get yourself a real keyboard.

I've already got a regular wired one with numpad etc but it's nothing akin to what I can see here - I'm pretty sure this is another rubber-mat keyboard and I got it with a pre-built PC. I would like to get once of these fancy keyboards I hear about, maybe one with coloured keys. (note, it's spelt coloUr in aus, not color)

Can I ask something - what's your opinion on 'gaming' keyboards/mice/chairs (seriously... wtf?) i.e. Logitech G15. My friend has one, and I think that it, along with all these 'gaming' products are bull****. What kind of person, excluding professional gamers, needs to be able to 'calibrate their DPI' on-the-fly? And macro buttons, while handy, are not worth shelling out an extra $60 for. They're all a waste of money IMO, although I'm open to opinion.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the part relating to the thread - I've called Logitech support, and they're checking with their HQ in the U.S.A. to see if they can get a receiver shipped in. I just hope it doesn't cost too much...

EDIT: On the subject of gaming chairs...
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2009, 02:43:22 by nuclearpidgeon »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 07:05:27 »
"GEEKHACK" would be a great liicense plate, but we only get 6 characters here in TX, so it would have to be "GEKHCK." Good luck figuring that out, and if you can't figure it out, what was the point? I wish we had 8 characters. My last personalized plates would have been "ITLNSTLN." Again, good luck figuring that out. Wellington1869 can tell you all about it. Either him or my girlfriend, but you might get a different answer from her. ;)

/hijack

Offline IBI

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 09:25:49 »
Quote from: nuclearpidgeon;90380
Can I ask something - what's your opinion on 'gaming' keyboards/mice/chairs (seriously... wtf?) i.e. Logitech G15. My friend has one, and I think that it, along with all these 'gaming' products are bull****. What kind of person, excluding professional gamers, needs to be able to 'calibrate their DPI' on-the-fly? And macro buttons, while handy, are not worth shelling out an extra $60 for. They're all a waste of money IMO, although I'm open to opinion.

Some of the features like notched scroll wheels, high DPI and, yes, changable DPI are useful, but a lot of it is obviously just an excuse to come up with some ugly design and double the price.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 09:48:12 »
To be honest, when I saw the name of the website I thought "god...what a douche name" (no offensive iMav!!!) just because it kind of fit that "1337 internet professional" crap that you see all over the tubes. I mean...the geek part is right, but short of that, were just avid computer users who like to buy overpriced keyboards lol. How do you hack a geek anyways?

Edit: back to the OT, I could see it being cool for people that know, but short of that, I could see a car getting keyed. No one likes a computer nerd :(
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2009, 15:36:08 by o2dazone »

Offline IBI

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 15:19:35 »
Quote from: o2dazone;90428
To be honest, when I saw the name of the website I thought "god...what a douche name" (no offensive iMav!!!) just because it kind of fit that "1337 internet professional" crap that you see all over the tubes. I mean...the geek part is right, but short of that, were just avid computer users who like to buy overpriced keyboards lol. How do you hack a geek anyways?

Edit: back to the OT, I could see it being cool for people that know, but short of that, I could see a car getting keyed. No one likes a computer nerd :(

That text is virtually unreadable.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 15:31:41 »
Yeah, that text color burns my retinas.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 15:33:30 »
edit: ah jeez...I use Stylish to view this forum in black and white text only. My bad lol...wtf yellow green
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2009, 15:36:30 by o2dazone »

Offline iMav

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 21:41:54 »
Actually, "geekhack" was originally meant to identify both computer geeks and writers...since both are uniquely qualified to have a strong opinion regarding keyboards.  (albeit, not the most flattering word to describe writers)  :)

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 22:35:52 »
That makes more sense

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 00:57:12 »
Honestly, the name does sound like it's trying too hard.  Something with "keyboard" might help.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline pmyshkin

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 02:47:20 »
Quote from: nuclearpidgeon;90380
Show Image

4channer?

Offline iMav

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 02:47:21 »
Quote from: Hak Foo;90531
Honestly, the name does sound like it's trying too hard.  Something with "keyboard" might help.
Might help what?

geekhack is not changing its name.

Offline nuclearpidgeon

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 07:55:12 »
Quote from: pmyshkin;90542
4channer?

Dear god no - what kind of 4channer has this quality level of english (don't mean to appear arrogant here or anything, but some people out there spend way too little time composing forum replies)
I made after I told a friend of mine about that chair, and we were on a SHOOP DA WOOP high at that time, so I made that to go with it...

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 11:03:26 »
Quote from: nuclearpidgeon;90547
Dear god no - what kind of 4channer has this quality level of english (don't mean to appear arrogant here or anything, but some people out there spend way too little time composing forum replies)
I made after I told a friend of mine about that chair, and we were on a SHOOP DA WOOP high at that time, so I made that to go with it...

Image macro + 4chan meme = 4channer,gtfo