Author Topic: Leaning towards trying something new  (Read 3917 times)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
Leaning towards trying something new
« on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 03:01:47 »
I had long thought "My dream is to get a Unicomp Customizer 104, or maybe a SpaceSaver", because I'm confident in what to expect from them, and frankly, my old 1391401 is less loud than it should be, and its replacement, while sufficiently loud, keeps sticking on right-shift and enter (I should just buy some plastic-safe oil for 98 cents and try that first... but when I can use it as an excuse to order new hardware...)

So maybe a keyboard that looks modernish?  I like the *concept* of Cherry Blue switches, so I've been thinking about the Scorpius M10.

But it seems surprisingly hard to find.  Not many places list it, and those that do seem to be places with questionable customer feedback.  Is it end-of-lifed?

Alternatively, I was thinking about the ABS M1.  Honestly, half the appeal is the look -- it looks much better than the M10, and arguably better (in a modern, clean sense) than the 1391401.  However, I gather that Black Alps switches lack the loudness of Blue Cherries, buckling springs, or the White Alps of keyboards I had long ago (I had used Focus keyboards briefly and liked them)  I'd almost certainly get it from Newegg because I trust them to deliver.

The price seems to be roughly the same (~60 USD delivered).  Are there huge differences in quality or support (if it's broken)?

I suppose you could say "If I like the look of the M1, and the sound of Blue Cherries, why not get a Filco with Blue Cherries?".  I'll cut that conversation short by saying simply "the M1 is at least $40 less than a comparable Filco."

I sort of like the Cherry G80-3000 aesthetic too, but it seems like the G80-3000 is simply not popular in the States, and the posts here from others who have bought it seem to imply it clocks in at ~80 USD or more delivered, plus it seems to come in a lot of versions, and if you're not careful, you end up with the black-switch, all-Hangul version, instead of the blue-switch, US 104 version.

Are there any other options in the price range?  Do new white Alps boards not exist (it seems like it?)  Anywhere you'd reccomend buying from?
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 03:25:51 »

Do new white Alps boards not exist (it seems like it?) Anywhere you'd reccomend buying from?

tactile pro (white alps (or 'xm' switch)) is loud as *heck*.  I think its about $120 though. They come up for sale on ebay every now and then for about 80 or so.

http://matias.ca/tactilepro/

They have a pc version in black.

I think TP might be the last white alps still in production?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 06:55:14 »
Have you considered a Dell AT101? They're cheap (even the new-in-box ones) and they have black alps.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 09:38:51 »
Quote from: wellington1869;90110
I think TP might be the last white alps still in production?

Datadesk Technologies.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 09:38:54 »
Here's another model with white Alps clone switches, for $42:
http://www.provantage.com/solidtek-kb-6600abu~7SOLD013.htm

I haven't used one myself, but the build quality has been described as very good.  But there's supposedly a bit of 'ringing' that accompanies the keypresses, probably due to the metal casing.

Offline skriefal

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 09:49:27 »
Quote from: iMav;90137
Datadesk Technologies.

The SmartBoard has been unavailable for at least a year, hasn't it?  And the SmartBoard II is vaporware or development is in very slow burn mode.  Anyone heard otherwise?

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 09:53:44 »
Quote from: skriefal;90142
The SmartBoard has been unavailable for at least a year, hasn't it?  And the SmartBoard II is vaporware or development is in very slow burn mode.  Anyone heard otherwise?

Not unlike a lot if offerings on Unicomp's site.  :)

All their 'boards use white Alps clones AFAIK.

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 13:47:54 »
Okay, responding to everyone:

As for the AT101W:  Yes, it's cheap, but isn't it Black Alps?  Also, there's part of me just reluctant to buy anything Dell makes after that damned stoned-kid campaign.

As for the Tactile Pro:  Criminally expensive.  If I wanted to spend over $100 on a keyboard, I'd buy a Unicomp, open the case, and stash a $50 note inside for emergencies.

As for the Solidtek:  I'd prefer something in a standard-104 layout, probably with the ANSI-style enter key.  I can't even figure out what the extra five keys on the Solidtek are (the Provantage page says 109 keys) but I wonder if they'd foul a lot because I'm now expecting the ANSI layout.

Otherwise, I'm intrigued.  It seems to be sold by many places aside from Provantage too

When you say "metal case"-- is that a metal base-plate or a whole-metal case (I tend to wear down case finishes, and it would look awful.)

The manufacturer doesn't show it on their site, and I can't find anyone showing anything but the same damned stock photo of it.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 13:56:03 »
Quote from: Hak Foo;90174
As for the AT101W:  Yes, it's cheap, but isn't it Black Alps?  Also, there's part of me just reluctant to buy anything Dell makes after that damned stoned-kid campaign.

Yeah, I know what you mean about it being a Dell... Still, theyre quite cheap for a good keyboard. And yes - they are Black Alps.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 17:24:23 »
Given that the Dells seem to be quite common and inexpensive, it would be foolish not to try one at least. (Maybe try finding one of those Acer 6311s as well, or a Chicony KB-5181/5191.) If they weren't cheap and plentiful over here, I wouldn't be amassing Cherry boards either.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline pmyshkin

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 May 2009, 23:25:42 »
Quote from: Hak Foo;90107
the posts here from others who have bought it seem to imply it clocks in at ~80 USD or more delivered

I got mine for $64 shipped just a week ago.

http://www.totalbarcode.com/part-number/G80-3000LSCRC-2.html

Quote from: Hak Foo;90107
plus it seems to come in a lot of versions, and if you're not careful, you end up with the black-switch, all-Hangul version, instead of the blue-switch, US 104 version.

This is true. The way to figure it out is to know how to read their product numbers. For example, the one I bought was:

g80-3000 L SC RC - 2

L = Laser engraved keys, I think all the 3000's have this

SC = clicky blue switches. Other options are PC = Linear (blacks I guess), QC = soft pressure point, don't know what these are

RC = key layout and labels are for Republic of China, which means the layout is US, but the keycaps have Chinese radicals in addition to the English letters. Others include EU for us layout with euro sign, GB for great britain, and DE for germany.

2 = black color. 0 is for gray.

It's all on this webpage

I would say that I'm totally satisfied with this keyboard. However, it's my first switch keyboard, and I have nothing to compare against.

Offline cchan

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 May 2009, 05:44:51 »
Q is whites according to http://geekhack.org/showpost.php?p=90224&postcount=72 . I'd like to add that R seems to be browns based on my experience with a MX8100.
HP Envy17: Core i7-2760QM, 8GB DDR3, 128GB Crucial m4 + 750GB Hitachi, Windows 7 Home Premium x64, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M500, HP zr22w
IBM Thinkpad X60: Core Duo T2400, 2GB DDR2, 128GB Samsung 830, Xubuntu 12.04 x86, Cherry ML4100, Logitech M205, HP zr22w
Raspberry Pi Model B: BCM2835, 0.25GB DDR2, 8GB Samsung SD card, Raspbian Wheezy, human interaction devices as above

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 May 2009, 06:02:14 »
Quote from: pmyshkin;90218
SC = clicky blue switches. Other options are PC = Linear (blacks I guess), QC = soft pressure point, don't know what these are
S and Q are the switch types, the C means it's a combo board that can be used with USB and PS/2 (via passive adapter).

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 May 2009, 07:45:01 »
Quote from: Hak Foo;90174
As for the AT101W: Yes, it's cheap, but isn't it Black Alps? Also, there's part of me just reluctant to buy anything Dell makes after that damned stoned-kid campaign.

If i'm not mistaken, these were made by Alps for Dell and SGI.  Bottom line: they were not made by Dell.

Offline sandy55

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 11 May 2009, 09:10:37 »
Pardon me to jump in, but most of Dell AT101 ( with or without  W ) with NEW DELL logo were made by Silitek, not by Alps. And there isn't any factory made DEL AT101W with old logo. One exception seen at Keyboard Mania is new logo Dell AT101 ( Dell P/N D32759 ) made  by Alps Ireland. According to the list, it came  with real complicated PINK tactile ALPS switches.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 11 May 2009, 09:14:19 »
Man, I miss the input from you and Chloe, Sandy.  It's good to see that you still drop in from time to time.  Thanks for the clarification.

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 11 May 2009, 10:10:00 »
Quote from: itlnstln;90243
If i'm not mistaken, these were made by Alps for Dell and SGI.  Bottom line: they were not made by Dell.

Well, they still carry the Dell logo prominently, so it's hard to not think of them as a Dell product.

Aside:  I think I finally figured Cherry out.  The reason their keyboards are hard to find in the US is because they primarily target the POS industry here-- it seems like the few places that do sell the G80-3000 have it because they sell the 25 other Cherry models with card readers and extra clear-topped buttons for use with a till.  There's probably an interesting historical tale here involving some business guy saying "Okay, we can't compete for the standard PC due to high margins/high competition/outdated designs/...

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 07:13:55 »
Quote from: ripster;90276
We're kinda stuck when a new US forum member asks us for good $60 keyboards other than Unicomp BS.  

It's even worse if the member is in Canada.

Yeah, I know about the Chinese lettered one - won't fly with a lot of folks.

- Ripster

It's quite a nice board. It's currently my daily driver at home. But while the Chinese characters don't bother, some might not like the Chinese characters on it like you pointed out.

Offline IBI

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 12 May 2009, 09:23:25 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;90401
It's even worse if the member is in Canada.

But at least the US has a great second hand keyboard market, here in the UK you can wait months for even the more common keyboards to show up second hand online.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 02:11:55 »
I don't buy secondhand online-- don't you have thrift shops or the equivalent?

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 20:18:08 »
I didn't say they're an everlasting cornucopia of good stuff, but occasionally I see at least a plain M, or an AT10xW, or something which feels mechanical but I can't identify.

IMO, the best place (if you can find one) is wherever your local college sells its spare gear.  Most of them have large fleets of old PCs which came with old keyboards, which are retired eventually, and the keyboards go up for sale.  The one at the local university was great until like 2006, then they retooled their business model and went to selling "pallet of miscellaneous computer stuff" at auction, and all they have left are those noxious iMac keyboards nobody will ever buy.