Author Topic: Phantom pcb in Filco case  (Read 1585 times)

Offline UnlikeAny

Phantom pcb in Filco case
« on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 07:29:36 »
Why would you have Phantom pcb in a Filco case, instead of just having a normal Filco keyboard? Is it because it's programmable or is it more of a hobby thing?

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
Re: Phantom pcb in Filco case
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 08:37:53 »
Why would you have Phantom pcb in a Filco case, instead of just having a normal Filco keyboard? Is it because it's programmable or is it more of a hobby thing?

Phantom's were essentially designed around a Filco-style case. Filco cases are clean looking, high-quality cases with great rubber feet and they aren't super hard to come by so it just makes sense to use them for the Phantoms. Also, in my opinion, the LEDs on the Filco case are nicer than the in-key LEDs that are very common in CM boards and other cheap cases. Another huge plus is that the Filco cases don't have that cheap-ass rubber coating on them that CM cases have.

If you're asking why people build Phantoms instead of just buying a Filco, you'll probably get 100 different answers from 100 different people. Personally, I built mine for a few reasons:
- More than anything, it looked like a really fun project
- It was one of the easiest ways to get a board with Clears (at the time)
- Totally programmable and customizable with support for multiple Fn layers
- Easy way to get a keyboard with plate that allows for switch top removal
- Wanted a second TKL for home or work

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 08:46:28 »
In addition to what strict said above...

- Customizable for different layouts (ISO/ANSI, 125/150 bottom row, etc.)

Also, when the Phantom was designed, it was the only way to have full programmability in a TKL keyboard. Later, the same guy who designed the Phantom PCB (bpiphany) did some detective work on Costar PCBs and figured out the matrix connections to the controller. He then made programmable replacement controllers for those Costar-made keyboards, so that now you can get the same functionality from a stock keyboard that you can from a Phantom with regard to the ability to program your own layout. But the Phantom came first. And as strict said, it was designed to fit in Filco cases, because those cases were commonly available, and it obviated the need to create a custom case for the project.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline UnlikeAny

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 09:21:05 »
Thank you both very much! That's all I needed to know.