Author Topic: CM Storm Alcor -vs- SteelSeries Kana v2  (Read 8909 times)

Offline uNfEiL

CM Storm Alcor -vs- SteelSeries Kana v2
« on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 04:46:30 »
Hello guys,

my first topic ever here so hope you will be nice to me :).

First of all, I am really sick of it. I have never thought choosing the mouse will be so hard.

So I cant decide between CM Storm Alcor and SteelSeries Kana v2.
I like the shape of both.

This is my photos of me holding my mouse: http://imgur.com/a/qBBXd
Maybe sometimes more claw grip (like index and mid finger sometimes more upper).
I have been using my MX518 with 800 DPI for about 5 years and it fits me pretty fine but I need a bit smaller mouse I guess. Kana v2 seems to me like more beautiful in terms of visuality.

Am I really scared of Alcor because its like brand new mouse and actually there is nobody who tried it for a longer time (actually kana v2 too if I am right).

The using will be gaming: Mainly League of Legends, Osu!, and on the last spot is non-competitive CS:GO (like every second day for like 10 min DeathMatch), so I am not looking for mainly fps mouse.

One person told me this...
Based on your grip, I'd say a CM Storm Alcor would be much more suited for you. Your grip is based on a mouse with an ergonomic curved ) shape, it's not straight like what would be needed for an ambidextrous mouse (the tip of your mouse faces inward, not outward). CM Storm is also a very good, trust-able company, much so that I would recommend the Alcor even though I haven't gotten around to trying it yet.
I also noticed that you have extremely large hands. Since this is the case, you might actually prefer the Microsoft IME3.0, since it's a bit bigger than the Alcor and a similar shape. But if you want to keep your palm on the mousepad like you do with your current grip, get the Alcor. I could never use this sort of grip style since my hands are too small.
And then this...
Get the Alcor... Your grip isn't suited for an ambidextrous mouse, it's easily observable by the way your mouse points inward. Also CM Storm is a better company than Steelseries. A long time ago I used a Steelseries Sensei (Raw) and the buttons got overworn very quickly. Seeing as how similar the shape is, I'm pretty sure the mice in the line of whatever the original model was all have the same button switches. I'm not saying that the Kana v2 is a bad mouse, I'm just saying the Alcor not only fits you better, but also from a very trustworthy company. Also glossy mice don't stay pretty forever, eventually the grease from your hands will smudge all over it and it'll look even more noticeably nasty. Not only that, but it's the worst surface if you ever get really sweaty. In a choice between those two mice, I think the Alcor is definitely a better choice, don't be shallow.

Is this true what he says?

Also please some pros / cons of both (in terms of cord e.g.)? Your recommendation please? Thank you very much!

//edit: Also SteelSeries QCK mouse pad is still good? With Kana v2 for instance?

(really exhausting to choose the right mouse :()

I dont know, Im like 70 % Kana v2 and 30 % Alcor (because Alcor v2 will be even better but nobody knows when it will be released).

What do you think please?

Thanks in advance :) //PS: ENG not my native lang
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 June 2014, 06:59:53 by uNfEiL »

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
Re: CM Storm Alcor -vs- SteelSeries Kana v2
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 06:59:26 »
The fact that you're holding that mouse at an angle doesn't mean a whole lot. The question really is whether or not the palm of your hand is making contact with the high back of that mouse and more importantly, whether or not you want it to on your next mouse. It's difficult to tell from the pictures.

If you don't want the palm of your hand to touch, ie you want to just use your finger tips via a claw grip, then the kana is a good mouse. It may not be the best mouse though. This is the type of grip I use, and when I had a Sensei Raw, which I liked (same shape as kana) I ended up sawing the back inch of it off so I could move the mouse rearward further without it making contact with my palm. Ultimately I ended up with a CM storm Xornet (optical > laser) and the jury is still out on the shape of it. I like the size, but I'm still getting used to the ring finger rest.

If you do want your palm of your hand to touch, then I'm not the right person to help you :)

Offline uNfEiL

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 14:37:42 »
I dont know. Havent got many mice yet, just my MX518. I can probably adjust to both of these (Alcor / Kana v2) since they have different shape compare to my MX518.

But which one is more superior in terms of quality / durability? (e.g. cord / wheel / buttons / the face / whole mouse)

// I know about high LOD but its not problem since "tape-trick" can fix it easily.

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 14:31:52 »
Is there a website where you can buy and be able to return the mouse? Trying out both would be ideal. Perhaps you could get a used version and save money?

I'm not sure of the dimensions on the Alcor, but the Kana v2 would be a good fit if you're coming from the small MX518.

IMO the only downside to the Kana v2 is that there is only one thumb button.

EDIT: Was thinking of a different Logitech mouse, you should compare the dimensions of the mice to determine if the size will be good.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 June 2014, 14:38:40 by MsYutai »
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline uNfEiL

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 04:47:59 »
Well, yeah I can buy both of them and then I can also return for full refund. But I gotta wait a month for money. I dont want a used version because I want a warranty.

What is the durability of both these mice?

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 June 2014, 12:28:16 »
Kana 2 is new so we're not going to be able to attest to durability. Both companies are known for making durable mice though. I don't think durability would differ enough to make it a deciding factor.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 01:49:51 »
ahoj!

I have not tried Alcor but from how I see it, having tried Kana v2,
they're very different in how you hold them from MX518, in my experience - I'm a fingertip gripper though.
I'd recommend perhaps looking at zowie EC2 eVo (smaller mouse, but similar grip to Alcor)
they kind of force you to hold it straight since they're ambidextrous - I tried replicating your grip with my Zowie FK, G100s and Kana v2 and it just doesn't seem very viable.

ps I am going to make halusky this week! lovely slovak cooking... sorry, can't help it. :D

Offline uNfEiL

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 07:59:09 »
Čau! (Hi!)

I've already looked at Zowie EC2 eVo but Alcor is better imo.

Pros of Alcor compared to Zowie EC2 eVo:

- it is a lot cheaper and it is available in our eshops, whereas zowie is not and eshops must order it and I gotta wait for it for 2 weeks, and also it's more expensive
-lighter
-better cable(it's more flexible and seems to be better connected with the actual core; same thickness)
-thicker and harder mousefeet
-very good feeling omron switches, with alot less overtravel mainbuttons
-traditional mousewheel with 24 steps(they even used an ALPS encoder instead of the usual TTC ones)
-higher LOD for supposed better surface compatibility, but still very low(barely tracks on height of 1 CD) with "tape-trick" on a black mousemat
-DPI-buttons on top

So you say that ambidextrous Kana v2 is not viable for my grip and I should take Alcor? You would take Alcor if you were me?

P.S. Bon appetit! Not my favourite meal tho :D But you mean "bryndzové halušky"?

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 19:23:10 »
ahh, ok - yes that makes sense. was just thinking size-wise. alcor doesn't seem smaller than MX518, but I am not sure. :)

it seems like a fantastic mouse indeed, and not just for the price.
but I am a firm believer that shape and how it feels in your hand is the most important, and since you said you wanted smaller...
though I understand of course what you're saying, and it is very difficult to know before trying. :p

I think the Kana v2 is not very comfortable on an angle, it has very clearly defined edges so it will feel very uncomfortable.
so I would definitely take the Alcor in your case.

(and yes, that is what I meant - with the sheep's cheese, I think it is? :D I love it!)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 07:27:45 »
Isn't the Alcor exactly the same shape as the IME 3.0? Why not try that one first then? I've seen quite a few of them (or the wireless version) in thrift stores recently.

Offline uNfEiL

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 07:59:11 »
@munch Yes Alcor is actually smaller than MX518 :).

(Yes, you're right! You're more Slovak than me :D)

@davkol Ty si mi už poradil na českom PCT fórku tú Alcor práve :). IME 3.0 kvôli viacerým dôvodom nechcem.
[@davkol You already advised me Alcor mouse on another Czech PCT forum :). I'm not interested in IME 3.0 because of several reasons.]

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 08:09:37 »
I mean, just to try the shape.

Offline uNfEiL

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 10:14:18 »
And what about SteelSeries Sensei Raw? Is that a better mouse than Kana v2?

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 10:28:29 »
I can say the Steelseries Sensei Raw is an awesome mouse. The rubber coated version is the best material I've felt on a mouse, I love the placement of the two buttons on both left and right and use all 4 of them. It's the mouse I'm using right now. Downside is it's laser instead of optical, but I switched back to it recently cause my Xornet wasn't fitting my hand right.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 13:18:05 »
I don't think it's better than the Kana v2. it's slightly wider, but has a worse sensor.
it's good, but it has the acceleration issues like every other mouse with the sensor :(

Offline uNfEiL

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 14:24:24 »
Well I'm so indecisive that I looked to another mice. I'm thinking about Avior 7000 / Kone Pure Military / Zowie FK 1. I will wait for the reviews of KPM / FK1.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 15:10:55 »
:D I think that's the right thing to do, I would do the same! FK is very small though, and the FK1 doesn't seem a LOT bigger. but it's an amazing mouse nonetheless - and the 3310 should be cool too!

Offline uNfEiL

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 17:04:41 »
But the only thing that makes me put my hands away from Zowie FK1 is the Huano switches that are not really good for MOBA games which I really do play. Zowie mice are made more for FPS games.

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 17:16:11 »
I recently got a Kana V2 as it was on offer for something ridiculous like 14.99 (GBP) from eBuyer here in the UK, I really dont like it. There are no options to fine tune the DPI, its either 1200 or 1600, I prefer something in the middle of those figures, but I simply can't choose a status quo. The sensor is not as accurate as my preferred G500 either. The glossy exterior is not nice either. All in all, not impressed with the Kana V2

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 18:58:29 »
How exactly are you determining that the sensor is more/less accurate than another?

Offline uNfEiL

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 11:49:28 »
Are the Huanos swithces so bad for moba games?

Offline CK Briefs

• formerly calvins1
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 11:57:38 »

Are the Huanos swithces so bad for moba games?

Well it takes more force to actuate huanos, and most moba games utilise the mouse buttons heavily.

I play mechanically intensive champs and the omron switches in most decent mice help a ton.
Current Keyboards: Orion - 62g ergo clears;
A87 PS2AVR - 59g ergo clears; QFR - stock blues

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 12:30:50 »
How exactly are you determining that the sensor is more/less accurate than another?

I'm not using any scientific method of doing so, I just feel that the sensor isn't as good as the one in the G500, in my opinion. I find that my aim in CS is not as precise and in LoL, I'm missing clicks.

Offline uNfEiL

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 12:38:26 »
Well it takes more force to actuate huanos, and most moba games utilise the mouse buttons heavily.

I play mechanically intensive champs and the omron switches in most decent mice help a ton.
So you suggest me keep my hands off from Zowie mice because of the switches? I do play mainly League of Legends so it will be misery to play it with Huanos?

So I should decide between Avior 7000 and Kone Pure Military?

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 15:09:00 »

I'm not using any scientific method of doing so, I just feel that the sensor isn't as good as the one in the G500, in my opinion. I find that my aim in CS is not as precise and in LoL, I'm missing clicks.

It's possible that you get used to the subtle accel of one sensor and then switching to one that is possibly more accurate causes you to perceive it as inferior.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 28 June 2014, 19:22:29 »

So you suggest me keep my hands off from Zowie mice because of the switches? I do play mainly League of Legends so it will be misery to play it with Huanos?

So I should decide between Avior 7000 and Kone Pure Military?

they require quite a bit more force to press down, so it's likely that you won't be as "fast" if you need to click a lot - something I noticed in RTS a little at first, but I got used to it.

Offline uNfEiL

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 14:09:14 »
Well guys thank you for your advices, I will probably buy Zowie EC2 eVo 99% and QCK+ :)

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 16:29:47 »
that's a good choice of mouse, pad is too much of a personal preference but I am not a fan of the qck+ ;)
well, I hope you enjoy!

Offline uNfEiL

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 16:46:21 »
Well I've been using QCK for about 5 years and it's still pretty viable, but it's kind of dirty and not as much smooth. And I want a bigger one so QCK+ might be a good pick.

What's wrong with it?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 17:08:20 »
Too much control, but to each their own.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 17:21:01 »
well, the rubber for one is not the best, so the mouse kind of sinks into it a little and it's hard to make small cursor adjustments from completely still motion. so it's not great for higher mouse sensitivity, especially not when you rest more weight onto it.
and I think the actual cloth surface also isn't great in that regard, it's not the most 'precise'. and it's not very fast either, but that's more of a personal preference.
I think there are better cloth pads out there, but they might be more difficult to find for a good price.

however, zowie G-TF is a great pad if you got a desk which allows the pad to stick okay to it. and it works great with the EC2 eVo. it's about as thin (the speed version) as the QcK, but has a harder surface with a different material, that is still soft and feels good on the arm, but allows for more precise movement and is faster too.
then there's the razer goliathus control, which I don't really know how durable it is (just in general razer hasn't lasted me very long) but it should be better than the qck. it's also a bit faster and offers better precision, and imo better control as well.
and you have the whole artisan lineup of mystery and wonder, but they cost 2-3x as much and you have to order from japan (unless you want to buy from belgium, but prices are a bit higher there, 3-5x as much)

and well, hard pads are a whole different ballgame... but I'd assume you like cloth, since you use a QcK.

Offline uNfEiL

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 17:45:54 »
Wow now you confused me a bit. Anyway I have never tried hard pad tbh.

QCK+ 15 €
zowie G-TF  30 €
Mousepad Razer Goliathus L - Control (the bigger one) 25 €
(they are all available in my country)
I'm pretty much buying an expensive (at least for me) mouse so I wanted to save some money at mouse pad at least... I don't know... Don't have any experiences with other pads than QCK.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 July 2014, 17:49:02 by uNfEiL »

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 21:14:59 »
:D
well, yes. I can understand that. I am very picky with pads so it might not be as important to you. though it's all about feel, so you really would have to try these out before IMO.
the Goliathus for 10 euro more isn't a bad deal at all. L is biggest size? it's a great pad. :p

but, if you like the qck, no stopping you from getting the qck+!

Offline uNfEiL

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 04:32:36 »
Not sure with Goliathus because I've heard that EC2 eVo sensor has problems with colored surfaces so it's recommended to use black mousepad.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 01:52:49 »
right. I didn't really try with the current goliathus control, so can't say. but it worked fine on the all black one.
I am not sure which one is current though... :p
well, QcK isn't terribly awful really. just would have been nice if you could try some and actually compare. the difference is IMO great, but as always it takes a while to get used to a new pad.

Offline uNfEiL

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 05:25:57 »
Well I got also Natec Genesis M11 LOGO mouse pad which is also pretty good and faster than QCK but too small.

I would take QCK Heavy but there is no difference compared to QCK+ except of thickness which I do not really care at all (cuz I got a smooth desk).

Not really sure about Goliathus cuz of its colors and Zowie G-TF is a bit too expensive for my taste. I would sacrifice max 25 € (which is also too much just for a pad imo).

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 05:45:54 »
CM Storm and Corsair pads are worth checking out.