Author Topic: Detect Source of Disk Encryption  (Read 1998 times)

Offline bear95

Detect Source of Disk Encryption
« on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 07:03:56 »
Is there any technique to find out what is encrypting a disk? My computer has Intel Rapid Start enabled but I'm getting this annoying error where its detecting full disk encryption and asks if I want it disabled or not.Having it on inteferes with the security of the encryption and I have no need for encryption but I can't seem to figure out what exactly is encrypting my disk. Anybody have any ideas of the source? I'm using Windows 8.1 and Bitlockers not enabled afaik.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Detect Source of Disk Encryption
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 07:11:07 »
If you haven't loaded full disk encryption software of some sort... either it's some kind of drive with SED or it is in error. Need more info about what software you have installed and what hardware make and model you are using.

Offline bear95

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 07:24:30 »
Acer 482PG-6629.
I have a kingston SSD and a Toshiba drive. I think all the software I have installed related to the disk is Intel Rapid Start, Intel Rapid Storage, and Expresscache.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 10:39:56 »
OK well I doubt Acer would have used a drive with SED as they are generally more expensive. Are there any errors or warnings in the event viewer with specifics on anything disk related? Is this something recent or it's always been like this? If it's always been like this maybe they did something weird with a recovery partition?
The only other thing I can think of that might have to do with mysterious encryption would be something like a rootkit or other malware that created a hidden encrypted partition. Might grab some linux live av/malware/rootkit scan oriented distro and give it a good once over.

Offline bear95

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 11:40:43 »
Ah. Now that you mentioned it. I have 5 partitions on my disk  4 of which I can't use. It came like that when I bought it and really cant' figure out what some of them are for and have left it that way. I have...
400MB Recovery
300MB EFI System
447GB Windows Partition
350MB Recovery
17GB Recovery
Probably one of these is the culprit but not sure if its ok to delete some of them...

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 13:56:27 »
See if they have some tool/method of backing up the Windows install files to a USB stick or DVD if necessary then nuke the 3rd and 4th recovery partitions that appear AFTER the Windows/system partition. The 2 partitions that are at the beginning are normal and required. It's handy to have something to reinstall Windows from if you need it, but otherwise it is not necessary to leave it on the hdd.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 June 2014, 13:59:06 by IvanIvanovich »