Author Topic: Max Blackbird Tenkeylees Backlit Mechanical Keyboard Mini Review  (Read 3817 times)

Offline bursar

I decided that I'd had enough of my MS Sidewinder X6 keyboard. It had done me well for a few years, but some of the keys were starting to become unresponsive. The rubber membrane under the keys had a habit of moving, so I really had to hammer on some of the keys to get them to respond. Despite taking it apart a couple of times to rectify the problem, it would always come back again after a relatively short period of time.

I figured it was time to get myself a mechanical keyboard. I read up on the switch types before deciding that MX browns were probably the best. I fancied the feedback that I'd get from them, and that I'd be able to rest my fingers on them without having to worry about accidently triggering key presses.

After that, it was a case of looking at the features I wanted. I fancied backlighting, and I really liked volume wheel on the X6, so having some kind of volume adjuster on the keyboard was pretty important. The X6 was a massive keyboard (which is why you'll see that I've moved the number pad onto the left hand side - to give my mouse a bit of room to move), so I definitely wanted something smaller.

I don't use the number pad very often, so I figured a tenkeyless board would be fine. If I can't live without a number pad, I can get a separate one.

The Corsair K70 was pretty high up my shopping list, but I read quite a few threads where people had failing LEDs and had to return them. I didn't fancy the sound of that. Some more reading around led me to the Max Blackbird. Enough of the words for now, on to the pics (apologies for the quality, they were taken with my phone in pretty bad light)...

Box Outer:

Box Open:

Unboxed:

Compared to the X6:

Plugged in:

Side lighting:

The lighting effect is quite nice and is selectable between off, low, medium, high and pulsing. The side lights are separately controllable from the main keyboard lights. You can also set custom lighting modes to only illuminate certain keys.

The multimedia keys are set on a FN layer, so pressing FN+F1 will mute the volume, FN+F2 will lower the volume, and FN+F3 will raise the volume. Not as easy to use as just twisting a dial, but I reckon I'll get to grips with it soon enough.

In use, the keyboard has a really nice feel. The keys are a bit clicky, but not too bad, and after typing this post, I'm already pretty used to it. I'll probably put some gaming hours in over the weekend to see how it copes, but I suspect it will be just fine.

The included wrist rest is nice and comfortable and keeps my wrists nicely positioned over the keyboard. There are some legs on the back of the keyboard to raise it up, but I'm finding it's fine to use in the flat position - something I got used to with the X6, as that didn't have any legs.

I'm very impressed with it, even in this fairly short space of time. I will just have to try and resist the dark side and the call of replacement key caps!

Offline Justintoxicated

Re: Max Blackbird Tenkeylees Backlit Mechanical Keyboard Mini Review
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 18:28:25 »
Nice review, I like mine, only it has white wasd and arrow keys, and red for everything else and I don't have that giant enter key.  My only real gripe is the incompatibility with my z87 motherboard and that it is difficult to see the caps numb and scroll lock LEDs if you accidentally trigger them.

I can still type faster on my blackbird than my topre for some reason.

Although the keycaps are doubleshot abs I really like the feel of them.

Offline JigsawSaint

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 July 2014, 22:38:34 »
I've been holding off on purchasing one of these gems, but after the review... I think I'll go ahead and make the leap.  Much appreciated for the information. 
I like the device pairing with the Roccat mouse there.  I have the Kone PURE and the Kone XTD myself... love them both.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 05:53:06 »
Bursar, nice review and pics of course  :thumb: .

Showing the X6 Keyboard again got me excited about my one as well which I went and dug up from the basement.  The finest Microsoft Keyboard ever made, I know a BIG statement but that keyboard still gets all the drivers automatically loaded whether using WinUlt 7 or WinPro 8.1.

The volume knob still works brilliantly as well as the red light intensity which can be muted completely if needed.  If I had known they would never again produce such a keyboard again I would of bought another 8 of them to keep as back up.

Sorry for praising the X6 but I think I am getting sick of so-called "Mechanical Keyboards" here and am starting to turn back to older membranes that still work remarkably well even after 10 years or more.

Offline deltuhhh

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 01:19:33 »
I've heard great things about the Nighthawk series. I've hadn't heard that much about the Blackbird series though. Glad you like this keyboard!

Offline bursar

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 13:53:39 »
Bursar, nice review and pics of course  :thumb:

Sorry for praising the X6 but I think I am getting sick of so-called "Mechanical Keyboards" here and am starting to turn back to older membranes that still work remarkably well even after 10 years or more.
There's nothing wrong with praising the X6, it's a good keyboard. If mine worked properly, I'd still be using it. The membrane kept moving though, and I'd find a bunch of keys would stop working unless I really hammered on them. It made a right mess of my typing, and gaming was pretty difficult as I was never 100% certain if the key I'd just pressed had registered.

Even taking it apart and repositioning the membrane only worked for a short while, and then the same keys would become unresponsive again.

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 00:47:06 »
I've heard great things about the Nighthawk series. I've hadn't heard that much about the Blackbird series though. Glad you like this keyboard!

The Blackbird is their premium line, made in taiwan and has the double shot key-caps with cherry stabs.  Now if I could just met me G502 to havb a red light instead of a blue one my gaming desktop would be amazing.