Author Topic: What is the best mechanical keyboard for dota 2?  (Read 8560 times)

Offline keypro

• * Commercial Vendor
What is the best mechanical keyboard for dota 2?
« on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 08:58:57 »
I'm planning to buy a mechanical kb for Dota 2 this week. My requirement is backlight color kb. Also, I like a small kb, so I would love to buy 60% or 83% keyboard, but I can't really decide among those of them.  I have been told that 83% kb is more suitable and comfortable in terms of F-row when playing Dota. Any suggestion would be highly appreciated! Thank you in advance though  ;D

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: What is the best mechanical keyboard for dota 2?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:00:08 »
I play Dota and I agree TKL (87% is what we call it for some reason, it's not mathematically correct) is better.

Might I recommend you a Ducky Shine 3 TKL? Fits your criteria and you have many options with backlighting, as well as solid build quality to rely on.
I love Elzy

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:10:22 »
I play Dota and I agree TKL (87% is what we call it for some reason, it's not mathematically correct) is better.

Might I recommend you a Ducky Shine 3 TKL? Fits your criteria and you have many options with backlighting, as well as solid build quality to rely on.

can agree with sifo here

DS3 is probably the way to go
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline HalfCent

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:15:27 »
I also use my TKL. I found it much easier to use the F keys than to rebind keys further right on the board. You need a lot of binds for dota, and I think it's easier traveling up / down than left right to hit them.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:17:07 »
I also use my TKL. I found it much easier to use the F keys than to rebind keys further right on the board. You need a lot of binds for dota, and I think it's easier traveling up / down than left right to hit them.

F-Keys are useful and are honestly NOT that far away, especially when your resting position in game is generally QWER. Even for me who rests on asdf (can't break habit of mass A-Clicking), F row is easy to reach (although I only use it for courier). I just don't see why not grab them, they're useful at least in DotA.
I love Elzy

Offline keypro

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:29:34 »

can agree with sifo here

DS3 is probably the way to go

Thanks for your input. I will consider Ducky Shine 3 TKL but I have seen some pics of Ducky mini on Ducky's facebook page. I may wait for mini version. I forgot to mention that I somewhat like Poker 2, but may change my mind since the Poker doesn't have F-row and I use F1-F5 a lot.  :p

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:46:37 »
if f-keys are really important it's probably best for you to get a DS3

you can still play effectively on a poker 2/ducky mini, don't get me wrong, but it's so much easier with real f-keys
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:49:23 »
I play dota 2 and I use a KBT Pure lol and i'm modding backlights onto it

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:52:21 »
Mini (aka 75% aka 84key) layouts are my favorite for DOTA
F-Row directly above num row is awesome.

TKL would be my second vote.  TKL has other pros/cons over minis

Switches is all about what you prefer.  For cherry I recommend MX Clear or any MX Clear variant (spring swap)

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline keypro

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:58:04 »
if f-keys are really important it's probably best for you to get a DS3

you can still play effectively on a poker 2/ducky mini, don't get me wrong, but it's so much easier with real f-keys

Thank you for your response. I will look forward to DS 3.  :thumb:

Offline keypro

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 02:57:31 »
Mini (aka 75% aka 84key) layouts are my favorite for DOTA
F-Row directly above num row is awesome.

TKL would be my second vote.  TKL has other pros/cons over minis

Switches is all about what you prefer.  For cherry I recommend MX Clear or any MX Clear variant (spring swap)

Thanks for your input. I will consider your recommendation. For the switch, red is my type, but haven't tried mx clear.

Offline keypro

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 03:07:19 »
I play dota 2 and I use a KBT Pure lol and i'm modding backlights onto it

Is a KBT Pure kb from china? If, so I might get one. Now I'm considering a poker 2 kb(nonbacklight) and ducky shine 3 tkl. If I'm able to how to mold backlight on poker 2, I'm gonna buy it. Is it hard to mold put led on it? Thanks anyway! ;D

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 08:00:48 »
Thanks for your input. I will consider your recommendation. For the switch, red is my type, but haven't tried mx clear.

I play DotA with Reds a lot, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Does take some getting used to the length of the key travel over standard rubberdomes.

As a side note, I really enjoy playing DotA with a Model M. Because the game doesn't require many simultaneous keypresses, the 2-KRO isn't a limiting factor, and it really feels fun to play with such force  ^-^
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 08:51:20 »

I play DotA with Reds a lot, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Does take some getting used to the length of the key travel over standard rubberdomes.

As a side note, I really enjoy playing DotA with a Model M. Because the game doesn't require many simultaneous keypresses, the 2-KRO isn't a limiting factor, and it really feels fun to play with such force  ^-^

I usually recommend linear MX for gaming but all the guys who are "first mech board" insist on blues despite their design flaw.  Then I get flamed for talking about linears vs blue.

So I suggest Clear off the bat these days.  But I personally use linears for all gaming.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline keypro

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 21:35:22 »

Thanks! I bought and tried all of the colors of cherry mx replacement and the red one is the best imo. A Model M is quite a good kb but it's too classic and the length between f-row and the rest I believe it is longer than other kbs. Correct me if I'm wrong.   :p

Offline keypro

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 21:40:23 »

I usually recommend linear MX for gaming but all the guys who are "first mech board" insist on blues despite their design flaw.  Then I get flamed for talking about linears vs blue.

So I suggest Clear off the bat these days.  But I personally use linears for all gaming.

I have to try it once since I'm hooked for what you have said!  :-X