Author Topic: WTF is wrong with MFG marketing depts.? - on flash memory.  (Read 1727 times)

Offline pex

WTF is wrong with MFG marketing depts.? - on flash memory.
« on: Tue, 19 May 2009, 19:38:42 »
I am getting tired of meaningless waste of ink and wood products spent illustrating non-facts and non-features.

I went shopping last-moment for either an SD card or a USB drive for the purpose of being able to install a Windows OS onto it to test used laptops I want to buy (a pain of its own is that something about normal USB drivers for XP/2003 is that they don't give you appropriate access to USB drives during install or boot time so you have to do some haxing).  Nearly all of the 'low-end'/less-expensive devices, which I was looking at as they were cheap, quick, and dirty, contained blather about 'how many images can you store on this device'.  Now, how many images you store on a 2GB flash device DOES NOT CHANGE FROM DEVICE TO DEVICE.  If MFGs wanted the incompetent public to know this information, they can just ask retailers to put up a freaking paper with this information that applies to all gigabytes.  How is the public going to get any smarter if we keep feeding them this crap?

I need one very important set of information: read/write speeds, preferably burst and average, just as a guideline.  You often can't even get this information from an MFG's website, and you may have considerable trouble getting it from even from tech support.  Why aren't these MFGs willing to pick up some of these software tools developed by neutral third parties and just start posting stats?  Is it because they know they're making junk?

The MFGs give me no information that helps me make any sort of decision.  The winner then simply has to be 'do I remember this type of product from this brand to be a known failure' and then 'lowest price' because the whole setup is a scam.  I suppose I should have withheld spending ANY money supporting a company who engages in these shenanigans.  For that I apologize, particularly to you.  I have aided and abetted the enemy.
Ж®Cherry G80-8113 (someday I hope to have one that reads magstripes, rfid cards, and smartcards), broken \'98 42H1292 Model M, some other Model M from a decade before that, 30 more keyboards in a box, 4 more lying here or there
Destroying Sanctity: my Model M project. Status: Dead.

Offline Rajagra

WTF is wrong with MFG marketing depts.? - on flash memory.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 May 2009, 04:11:44 »
It's like those annoying TV adverts where they refuse to mention anything about the product or service they sell, they just pump out images that evoke feelings about the lifestyle their product fits into. Worst example tends to be mobile phone companies.

I know they have to "sell the sizzle", but can't they at least tell us if they are selling bacon?