Author Topic: Can I get some feedback on a split layout please??  (Read 1212 times)

Offline adventurepoop

• I make keyboards, I guess.
Can I get some feedback on a split layout please??
« on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 21:11:04 »
I wanted something split, but also practical for gaming. I came up with this, but I'm sure there are some changes that could make it better.

The only things that are really needed are the numbers and the split spacebar, otherwise other random stuff like macro keys can be gotten rid of.
Thanks!

Offline jacobolus

Re: Can I get some feedback on a split layout please??
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 02:05:56 »
What are you going to make it out of?

I highly recommend adding some tenting (i.e. tilt it upward toward the middle / downward toward the left and right sides).

Offline jeep

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 02:49:34 »
Tenting is terrible for gaming. You often have one hand on the mouse and need to use your other to hit any key on the keyboard.

Do you use arrows? I like them for gaming sometimes. I'd also work on putting the B on the left half.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 03:06:23 »
Can’t you remap things so your game only uses keys on one side of the keyboard? (I don’t play games, so I can’t offer ideal advice here.)

Don’t people make do with those little game keypad thingies (like the Nostromo, etc.)?
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 July 2014, 03:08:21 by jacobolus »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 03:36:57 »
The layout looks alright, but I suggest rather using vertically staggered columns instead of "standard" layout on each half. The keys will fall more naturally under the fingertips and you don't have to move your fingers / hand as much to hit more keys. I recommed a stagger from inside towards outside of 0.25 up (from G to F), 0.5 up (from F to D), 0.25 down (from D to S), 0.75 down (from S to A), 0.25 down (from A to Tab).  Split 5TGB to the left, 6YHN to the right. I like the way you removed Caps Lock and shifted Esc and Tab down. Great for hitting with your pinkie.

With a split spacebar you can assign one side of it to shift. It saves a pinkie stretch when typing. Could make it switchable so in one mode space is left, shift is right and vice versa in the other mode or just be able to switch one of them between shift and space (since I assume you want space on left for gaming, but maybe on right for typing?). Also, make the spacebar "halves" 2.75x size so you can use standard right shift keycaps for them, larger sizes are hard to find.

You can use Fn to have a whole new layer of functions for each key, so I don't think you'll need those macro keys.

Tenting is terrible for gaming. You often have one hand on the mouse and need to use your other to hit any key on the keyboard.

Do you use arrows? I like them for gaming sometimes. I'd also work on putting the B on the left half.

I disagree... Tenting is great for gaming and any use of a keyboard.

If you are hitting keys on the right side of the keyboard with your left hand your keybinds are wrong. The only time you should be doing that is in the chat window and then you can take your hand off the mouse and type like normal.

I use my split keyboard as my primary gaming board and the tenting is nice, really helps keep tension out my wrist for long gaming sessions. I use a highish a palm rest to rest the "nub" of my palm on so I don't have to keep my hand raised the whole time.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 07:33:42 »
I agree: go for a more columnar layout, its much better for gaming.

About tenting: It really depends. I never have to hit keys on the "far" side of the KB. Make sure you also go with good rubber feet or you'll slide the KB over if you rest your hand there (I used to do that a lot while gaming)

Offline jeep

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 12:23:09 »
If you are hitting keys on the right side of the keyboard with your left hand your keybinds are wrong. The only time you should be doing that is in the chat window and then you can take your hand off the mouse and type like normal.

I guess it depends on how many bindings you want/need. I agree with you for most games, 10-20 keys work well. I like to bind so that FGHJ is the home row and then move my hand accordingly. But when typing, I prefer a steep tent. I tend to put all my actions/items/etc on the left and things like check camera positions on the right.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 13:56:38 »
that fn is gonna be literally impossible to hit easily
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 14:57:54 »
The layout looks alright, but I suggest rather using vertically staggered columns instead of "standard" layout on each half.
I would recommend that only if you know or are willing to learn how to touch-type according to the method. It would be easier to adapt to typing on a "symmetric stagger" where the there is 0.25 offset between rows, but the left side is a perfect mirror of the right.
If it is for gaming only then by all means  go columnar but then it could just as well have been a single-handed keyboard like the Nostromo, Orbweaver and the like.

You should seriously consider availability of keycaps for the keys that you are going to use.
🍉