Author Topic: Mouse Modding  (Read 8260 times)

Offline raKeto

Mouse Modding
« on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 17:47:26 »
Hello fellas!

I really like the shape of my Razer Mamba, but it just died on me yesterday. So im planning to put the internals/sensor from a Logitech g400 into a Razer Mamba case. The thing is the Logitech uses a Optical Sensor and Razer a laser sensor, so the holes for the Sensors on the Bottom have different shapes. Is the Shape on the Bottom important for the sensor to work probably?

Does anyone has experience doing that kind of modding?

Offline Findecanor

Re: Mouse Modding
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 July 2014, 18:01:01 »
Is the Shape on the Bottom important for the sensor to work probably?
No, unless the lens is integrated into the bottom.

I think that would be your smallest difficulty, though... The buttons and scroll wheel might not line up or the PCB might not fit.... unless you're lucky.
🍉

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 05:21:18 »
Few months ago, the scroll wheel of my Steelseries Sensei started making squeaking noises so I decided to open it to solve the problem.

Having done this, I also swapped the guts of the Sensei into an old Steelseries Xai casing - the new Sensei top being too shiny and slippery for my liking.

This mod was much less ambitious than yours and easier to achieve because both mouse (Xai & Sensei) share many characteristics in common (same shape, same laser sensor etc.)
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 July 2014, 05:25:04 by Lpwl »

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 08:08:34 »
That would be a very difficult mod to accomplish. Get your self a Razer DeathAder the shape is almost identical and its optical. 

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 15:00:00 »
or a Zowie EC1 eVo since it's both better sensor and well, similar shape minus the weird bend in front - which IMO is better. :p
it's definitely worth checking out. a tad bit lighter too if that's of any interest. also steelseries rival but it's a bit different shape so might not be as suited to you.

Offline raKeto

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 19:59:29 »
Is the Shape on the Bottom important for the sensor to work probably?
No, unless the lens is integrated into the bottom.

I think that would be your smallest difficulty, though... The buttons and scroll wheel might not line up or the PCB might not fit.... unless you're lucky.

You were right. I opened both mice, and the PCB is too fat to fit into the Razer Case, Mousebutton 5 & 6 are also impossible to install. The Sensor from the Logitech feels very accurate and precise but the Shape is just really uncomfortable to me especially the bumb right next to the RMB...

or a Zowie EC1 eVo since it's both better sensor and well, similar shape minus the weird bend in front - which IMO is better. :p
it's definitely worth checking out. a tad bit lighter too if that's of any interest. also steelseries rival but it's a bit different shape so might not be as suited to you.

Thanks for the recommendation. How can you know that the sensor of the Zowie is better? Ze Deathadder has a Avago ADNS s3988 inside while the Zowie runs with a Avago ADNS 3090, newer version should be better i guess ;)  I might give the Zowie a shot, if its cheeper than the Deathadder. According to this guide http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0 the Rival has noticeable smoothing, so its out of the equation.

Ahh maybe i just stick with the G400. Many People say it has the Perfect Sensor, and to be honest the drivers are much better then from Razer.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 July 2014, 20:15:35 by raKeto »

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 July 2014, 03:57:23 »

Thanks for the recommendation. How can you know that the sensor of the Zowie is better? Ze Deathadder has a Avago ADNS s3988 inside while the Zowie runs with a Avago ADNS 3090, newer version should be better i guess ;)  I might give the Zowie a shot, if its cheeper than the Deathadder. According to this guide http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0 the Rival has noticeable smoothing, so its out of the equation.

Ahh maybe i just stick with the G400. Many People say it has the Perfect Sensor, and to be honest the drivers are much better then from Razer.

Maybe this sheet can help you.

Dat mouse comparison chart may be useful too :

« Last Edit: Tue, 08 July 2014, 04:00:04 by Lpwl »