Author Topic: What is the most expensive keycap?  (Read 20455 times)

Offline xCoolBeans

What is the most expensive keycap?
« on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:19:56 »
I remember seeing a Darth Vader keycap on this forum for around 300$ and someone bought it

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: What is the most expensive keycap?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:22:18 »
The Spumoni mx Clack is currently valued at $900.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:22:45 »

Is there a picture of it?

Offline xCoolBeans

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:23:12 »

Do you have a link?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:24:51 »

Do you have a link?

He owns the only one in existence.  So he is valuing it at what he pleases.  Half joke, half truth (he may very well only let it go for that amount).

I think I saw some caps go for $350 last summer in an auction, but I don't remember.  I'll check on that.

Edit: Here's a link.  I can't recall higher prices than the highest Clack prices in this thread.  Clack prices are a bit of a sore subject around here, though, so be aware of that.  I'm simply posting this for the sake of information.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:27:23 by HoffmanMyster »

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:26:23 »

I dunno, I don't think I would pay over $850 for the Spumoni.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:27:57 »
I still favour the red esc even though that isn't the most expensive.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:29:16 »
Some clacks have gone for $400 over on DT. OG Tri, pretty sure the GH Tris have gone for $400+
 Guac and Toxic have gone for absurd amounts too

wtf, is someone editing my posts?
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:36:08 by noisyturtle »

Offline Riptide

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 20:19:38 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 20:41:18 »
Wasn't a certain former GH member selling a single Clack for $999.99?

Couldn't find the link in the short term, but I think it was posted in Great Finds at one stage.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 20:48:11 »
it was 2k
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 21:20:38 »
it was 2k

Even worse.

But that does not really count as it was not necessarily a serious offer.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 21:21:33 »
I think for it to count, the transaction has to have actually taken place.
I love Elzy

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 21:25:43 »

It's funny that we have to even explicitly state that.  I thought noisyturtle made the same point well enough when he claimed his Spumoni is worth $900.  But oh well.

By the way, I'm listing my Enviro BS at $50,000.  Oh look I win.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 21:27:42 »
i think bunny got his GH clack for 1k

but i don't know for sure
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 21:31:07 »
all of those ****ty little piece of plastic are worth the $1 in material, the true cap is the sterling silver Bro Bot V2, $180

If we're going by "value" then I "value" my one of a kind broken ctrl key at $50000 and therefore all other caps are weaksauce.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 21:33:19 »
all of those ****ty little piece of plastic are worth the $1 in material, the true cap is the sterling silver Bro Bot V2, $180

If we're going by "value" then I "value" my one of a kind broken ctrl key at $50000 and therefore all other caps are weaksauce.

Ahem.

It's funny that we have to even explicitly state that.  I thought noisyturtle made the same point well enough when he claimed his Spumoni is worth $900.  But oh well.

By the way, I'm listing my Enviro BS at $50,000.  Oh look I win.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 22:10:44 »
I think you can get shapeways to make you a cap out of gold..

Offline asassdsd

• Call me "Jelly"
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 22:58:40 »
I remember seeing a Red Vader going for pretty high value somewhere.
This isn't an alternative or troll account, I've been using this username for at least 10 years. Try typing it, is so fast and easy!

Recently acquired: Leopold fc660c with PBT   Currently: Bro-less    Clack-less    Mummy-less
I am currently at : Santa Cruz, CA

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 23:00:56 »

Derp

Art, how does it work?

Offline Zephitos

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 16:06:11 »
I know novelty keycap's popularity

but these posts show me unbelievable price
Inventory
22mini brown, twosome mini, fc300r mx red,

WTB/WTS : [WTB] IMSTO PBT R2

To do
Make LZ's B series, LZ-FE,
-----------------------------------------------------------
And Fuxxing  DrugER

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 17:21:02 »

Most of these were much more reasonable prices to start with.

Have patience, and you will see sales occurring from time to time.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 18:12:14 »
Woah! Didn't realize F2 blues were sold for over $100....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 18:17:11 »
Woah! Didn't realize F2 blues were sold for over $100....

There has been a resurgence in F2 popularity as people realise that each one is unique.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 18:28:19 »
I shall keep mine lol.

Offline Zephitos

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 08:42:35 »
thanks to good advice
 ;D

Most of these were much more reasonable prices to start with.

Have patience, and you will see sales occurring from time to time.
Inventory
22mini brown, twosome mini, fc300r mx red,

WTB/WTS : [WTB] IMSTO PBT R2

To do
Make LZ's B series, LZ-FE,
-----------------------------------------------------------
And Fuxxing  DrugER