Author Topic: Compact layout with arrow keys?  (Read 5843 times)

Offline Harms

Compact layout with arrow keys?
« on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 04:32:22 »
Hi everyone is there a keyboard with a 60 percent layout or a layout that is more compact than a tkl layout that uses standard size keycaps and has arrow keys.

It can be backlight or non backlit, I just wanted it to have cherry stabs. I no it is a lot to ask for but yea lol thank you guys.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 July 2014, 04:34:13 by Harms »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: Compact layout with arrow keys?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 04:43:37 »
There are a few but they have some keycaps that are not of the common sizes. Pure, MiniLA, FC660M. The last is 66%. Check them to see if they fit your needs. I think I am forgetting at least other one.

Offline ruiner17

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 04:56:51 »
Tex Beetle is another 60% with an arrow cluster.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 05:07:52 »
Thank you for the heads up. Those caps are very hard to replace, for example the pure has a small space bar that cannot be sourced anywhere, but getting a Pure set.

I was considering a layout like this; it still has some special keycaps, but I think it has less compromises than the available ones.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 05:54:15 »
The Pure has a completely standard bottom row, the only non-standard keycap is the 1.75x right shift and sets that have a Tsangan kit option will most often include a 1.75x shift, so a lot of Geekhack Group Buy sets will fit.

It doesn't have dedicated arrow keys, but the right hand modifiers can be toggled into arrows, so you can use it with them set to arrows permanently. I used it like that for a while, but decided I needed to use the right shift, so now I use the Fn layer arrows without a problem.

It's PCB mounted, but has a good solid PCB and mounts with 6 screws to the case with support ribs under the board, so doesn't feel as flexible as most other PCB mount boards.

The FC660M is a good option, also almost standard caps. The right shift is the same size as the left, so if you can organise an extra shift key and an extra bottom row key, you can fit any standard set to it. Plus you can get it with Clear switches  :thumb:

Both boards use Cherry stabs.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 06:04:31 »
The Pure has a completely standard bottom row, the only non-standard keycap is the 1.75x right shift and sets that have a Tsangan kit option will most often include a 1.75x shift, so a lot of Geekhack Group Buy sets will fit.

It doesn't have dedicated arrow keys, but the right hand modifiers can be toggled into arrows, so you can use it with them set to arrows permanently. I used it like that for a while, but decided I needed to use the right shift, so now I use the Fn layer arrows without a problem.

It's PCB mounted, but has a good solid PCB and mounts with 6 screws to the case with support ribs under the board, so doesn't feel as flexible as most other PCB mount boards.

The FC660M is a good option, also almost standard caps. The right shift is the same size as the left, so if you can organise an extra shift key and an extra bottom row key, you can fit any standard set to it. Plus you can get it with Clear switches  :thumb:

You are referring to the original Pure, that it is not available anymore, but in the classifieds. The current version is the Pure Pro, that by all means does not have standard key sizes in its bottom row.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 06:37:31 »
I’m hoping to convince MassDrop to make a keyboard with a layout like this:

Might take a few months. :-)

One advantage would be no need for any stabilizers except the spacebar/backspace keys. (Everything else is ≤1.75 units wide.)

Doesn’t use standard-size keycaps though. If you need standard-size keycaps, you probably need to go a bit bigger than 60%.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 06:40:51 »

You are referring to the original Pure, that it is not available anymore, but in the classifieds. The current version is the Pure Pro, that by all means does not have standard key sizes in its bottom row.

Pure Pro is not the same as Pure. They both existed on the market at the same time, so it's not like the Pro is the successor to the Pure.

The Pure Pro is plate mounted, and has dedicated arrow keys. The spacebar is 4.5x, so it will REALLY limit your options for aftermarket keycaps to sets that will work with the original spacebar, since I'm mot aware of ANY place to get a 4.5x spacebar.

I would recommend rather getting an FC660M or original Pure.

If you could consider trying a Fn layer arrow cluster, the Poker 2 is the most "compatible" 60% in terms of keycaps since it's 100% standard ANSI, but it doesn't have arrow keys on the default layer. I have found arrows on a Fn layer easy to get used to, but I guess it depends on how you use them, personal preference and ability to get used to it.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 07:00:06 »
Hi everyone is there a keyboard with a 60 percent layout or a layout that is more compact than a tkl layout that uses standard size keycaps and has arrow keys.

It can be backlight or non backlit, I just wanted it to have cherry stabs. I no it is a lot to ask for but yea lol thank you guys.

Purchase the Poker II and program the GuiFN layout on it (you can do that in 10 minutes). Go there to see pictures:
  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57723.0

From your wish-list:
- 60% layout
- Standard size keycaps, and even standard keycaps (you can find replacements very easily)
- Navigation keys (arrows, Home, End, PgUp and PgDn)
- Backlit or not (both versions exist)
- Cherry stabs

Extras:
- Very popular keyboard
- Solid build (it has a metal plate)
- Programmable
- PBT keycaps available
- Gorgeous replacement aluminum cases are available
- Easy to resell if you don't like it
- Available in Cherry MX red, black, brown and blue

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 08:44:19 »

Pure Pro is not the same as Pure. They both existed on the market at the same time, so it's not like the Pro is the successor to the Pure.

The Pure Pro is plate mounted, and has dedicated arrow keys. The spacebar is 4.5x, so it will REALLY limit your options for aftermarket keycaps to sets that will work with the original spacebar, since I'm mot aware of ANY place to get a 4.5x spacebar.

I would recommend rather getting an FC660M or original Pure.

If you could consider trying a Fn layer arrow cluster, the Poker 2 is the most "compatible" 60% in terms of keycaps since it's 100% standard ANSI, but it doesn't have arrow keys on the default layer. I have found arrows on a Fn layer easy to get used to, but I guess it depends on how you use them, personal preference and ability to get used to it.

Could you point a link where the Pure (the original) can be sourced?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 08:46:00 »

Purchase the Poker II and program the GuiFN layout on it (you can do that in 10 minutes). Go there to see pictures:

From your wish-list:
- 60% layout
- Standard size keycaps, and even standard keycaps (you can find replacements very easily)
- Cherry stabs

Extras:
- Very popular keyboard
- Programmable
- PBT keycaps available

Does GuiFN provide direct access arrows in a Poker II? I meant, without altering the access to alphanumeric, nor the modifiers?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 09:48:25 »

From your wish-list:
- 60% layout
- Cherry stabs

Extras:
- Very popular keyboard
- Programmable
- PBT keycaps available

Does GuiFN provide direct access arrows in a Poker II? I meant, without altering the access to alphanumeric, nor the modifiers?

Yes, somehow. Just have a look at it.

Offline Harms

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 12:38:24 »
Thanks everyone for the help I think I will go for the Leopold fc660m. Since I can find keycaps for it if I really try and I like the layout. So where can I buy it in mx reds? It seems to be out to stock at EK and just to reconfirm it uses cherry stabs rite, thank you.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 July 2014, 12:42:20 by Harms »

Offline valheigh

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 13:00:39 »
Buy it from Qtan, he has stock for pretty everything fc660m you want:
http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item?lid=35722935
waiting for my fc660m mx clear and dye sub gray set of keycaps, when i get it I'll do some feedback, pretty excited  :thumb:

Leopold fc660m MX Clear | Zowie FK | Artisan Hien | Samsung 840 EVO | Koss portaPro | VIT M2400

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 14:00:53 »
Thanks everyone for the help I think I will go for the Leopold fc660m. Since I can find keycaps for it if I really try and I like the layout. So where can I buy it in mx reds? It seems to be out to stock at EK and just to reconfirm it uses cherry stabs rite, thank you.

Yup, Cherry stabilisers.

Another vote for Qtan. He's got quite many versions to choose from in his online store.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 23:08:21 »
I am a satisfied FC660M user, but I try not to push it on others at all. In fairness, it is a really great keyboard. It has the right balance of easy of use, keys, size, robustness, and a great look.Now she is sporting the Granite DSA set.

Offline loki993

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 07:50:34 »
It looks like a nice keyboard I just wish they made one with F keys.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 08:52:22 »
It looks like a nice keyboard I just wish they made one with F keys.

If you need F keys you could consider the KC84 or a TKL. No 60% or similar keyboard has F keys.