Author Topic: White Kensington track ball.  (Read 6529 times)

Offline lam47

White Kensington track ball.
« on: Sun, 24 May 2009, 17:56:00 »
Hey I just won this on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250426586633&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123
Don't know anything other than its an older version of the one I have.
Does anyone have any info on these.

Thanks.

Laurie.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3

Offline bigpook

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 May 2009, 18:36:45 »
I think they are opto-mechanical. Did it come with a wrist-rest?

Heres a PDF that may be of interest.

check it

The reviews here are very positive.

amazon
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 May 2009, 18:40:29 by bigpook »
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline dougy

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 May 2009, 20:15:15 »
You'll love it. Ball rolls smooth and consistent. If you use the mouseworks software speed and acceleration can be tweaked to an almost infinite degree. Plus you can give the ball a hard roll to easily transverse a huge screen. Never used the serial/ps2 as I'm a mac person, but the ADB worked perfect. Still use them on any ADB system.

Offline lam47

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 May 2009, 04:13:12 »
I tried to get mouseworks to run under Vista and Windows 7 but never had any luck.
Thanks for the info! I think I will love it.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Offline lam47

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 May 2009, 11:47:16 »
That's what I tried but it would not work. I am running 64 bit if you think it might make a difference.
I appreciate the help mate.

Laurie.

Offline IBI

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 May 2009, 11:50:41 »
Quote from: lam47;92594
That's what I tried but it would not work. I am running 64 bit if you think it might make a difference.
I appreciate the help mate.

Laurie.

Did you get a message box entitled 'Unsupported 16-bit application'?
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline xyzzy

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 May 2009, 12:07:53 »
Yeah I didn't have any luck either under Vista-64. I have this same trackball, ADB version. It's connected through an i-Mate adapter.

The problem is that I couldn't get the 4 buttons to be recognized correctly, all act as the left mouse button. Not sure if it's because of the lack of Mouseworks drivers or (most probably) a limitation of the i-Mate adapter.

A good trackball overall, but it's a bit of a PITA to not have a right-mouse button nowadays.

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline IBI

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 25 May 2009, 12:33:35 »
Quote from: ripster;92605
All the Win7 hype is strangely reminiscent.

Windows 7 is just Vista with tweaks, so there should be a lot less work for hardware companies to push Vista drivers onto 7.

My opinion of Windows 7 went up today when I read that it's WDDM version was reimplementing the multiple driver support.

Quote from: xyzzy;92602
The problem is that I couldn't get the 4 buttons to be recognized correctly, all act as the left mouse button.

If it'd had one more button you could have tried inscribing them with the magic word.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline xyzzy

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 May 2009, 12:37:34 »
Quote from: IBI;92619
If it'd had one more button you could have tried inscribing them with the magic word.

Hmmm even if I did, you know... nothing happens. :wink:

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 May 2009, 12:43:26 »
I've been doing a fair amount of illegal Windows 7 testing since the first beta leak. Strangely, I was quite impressed with Windows 7 beta. I thought it was a fluke, because it actually OUTPERFORMED Windows XP in gaming and big file transfers. I couldn't believe it! I looked up online and people were getting similar reports. I finally thought "It's about time they got better than their previous OS", and I was looking forward to the final.

And then Windows 7 RC was released. I installed this over the beta, and wow...completely different. I went from having better performance in network file transfers (large and small) and better fps in video games, to the exact opposite. I didn't bother with Vista, so I couldn't tell you how it rated with that, but it was not only slower than the previous beta, but slower than XP. Talking about putting out any excitement you had for the OS. I'm HOPING that what they added was just some bloatware to track bugs...because I wasn't the only one excited about Windows 7 (pre RC)

Offline wheel83

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 25 May 2009, 12:45:52 »
i'm running windows 7 rc flawlessly.  i really like it a lot. you should try a complete format then install it.  windows upgrades never work right. and everyone knows vista sucked.
I <3 BS

Offline lam47

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 May 2009, 15:44:32 »
I agree, I can not say enough good things about Windows 7. I feel it is a lot more than Vista ever was and I have had much fewer issues with drivers etc than I did with Vista. Even from a few betas back.
I have all 4 buttons working fine without the need for software but I would have liked to be able to adjust the DPI which is something I guess you have to have the software for.

Offline lam47

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 May 2009, 13:12:32 »
Just had another go at installing the software on windows 7. All seems to install fine but when I start the program all I get is windows mouse configuration utility. So what's going on then?

Offline lam47

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 May 2009, 13:32:36 »
I have the kensington expert plugged in.
This is all I get though :(

Offline lam47

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 28 May 2009, 06:52:11 »
On the new one all the buttons work but 2 are left click and 2 right.
Also its painfully slow. It takes 6 decent rolls of the ball to get across my screen lol.
What options do I have to turn up the DPI on this?
Is there any other way to get Mouseworks to install on a 64bit OS?
Cheers.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 May 2009, 07:15:02 »
Quote from: lam47;93091
On the new one all the buttons work but 2 are left click and 2 right.
Also its painfully slow. It takes 6 decent rolls of the ball to get across my screen lol.
What options do I have to turn up the DPI on this?
Is there any other way to get Mouseworks to install on a 64bit OS?
Cheers.

I can't help you as I don't run windows but I did have the same issue with the very slow scrolling. While I was able to fix it I think it has something to do with opto-mechanical mice. Every opto-mechanical mouse I have ( that would be two : )) were terribly slow in comparision to the optical mice.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline lam47

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 28 May 2009, 07:44:21 »
I guess that could well be it. A limitation of the hardware.
I still cant get mouseworks to install no matter what I try.
The furthest I have got is for it to say The mouseworks driver is missing.
I try to tell Windows to update the track ball drivers from the Mouseworks folder like it says to do all over the internet but it will not update and says that I have the right drivers. This mouse will be a bit useless to me if I cant speed it up a bit.
Sigh.
Thanks for the help everyone. If anyone comes up with a way to get this all working I may well have to give you a kiss :)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 28 May 2009, 07:56:08 »
Quote from: lam47;93097
I guess that could well be it. A limitation of the hardware.
I still cant get mouseworks to install no matter what I try.
The furthest I have got is for it to say The mouseworks driver is missing.
I try to tell Windows to update the track ball drivers from the Mouseworks folder like it says to do all over the internet but it will not update and says that I have the right drivers. This mouse will be a bit useless to me if I cant speed it up a bit.
Sigh.
Thanks for the help everyone. If anyone comes up with a way to get this all working I may well have to give you a kiss :)

Beat the living crap out the trackball, your PC, or both.  You can kiss me later.

Offline lam47

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 03:10:58 »
Hey thanks fellas. I forgot about this thread. Have not been well :(.
Both good ideas. I will try Ripsters first though :)

Offline lam47

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 04:11:12 »
It does not seem to have any effect over the track ball at all :(.
Thanks so much for the effort though mate. I won't give up hope just yet :)

Offline lam47

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 30 May 2009, 16:52:22 »
Thanks mate :) I have been in and out of hospital a lot for a few months and they still don't know whats wrong! How many tests can it take?
I have some nasty ones coming up but they may find out the issue so will be worth it.
Shame about the track ball. I might try it in virtual XP just for fun.
Thanks a lot for all the help and good wishes. You are a gem.

Offline lal

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 31 May 2009, 13:32:07 »
Sorry to hear that about your health, lam :(  Hope you'll get well, too!
BS: Customizer, Model Ms; Alps: CSK-2101, FK-2002, AT-101 (SGI & Dell), MCK-860, FKBN87Z/EB; Cherry: Poker X, FKBN87MC/EB, WY60, G80-3000, G84-4100, TDV 5010

Offline DrunkenDonut

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 10:09:58 »
I don't have a solution, but 64-bit will make a difference. 32-bit software is (generally) fine, but drivers may not work. There is also the issue of driver signing. 64-bit Windows will insist on signed drivers. There are some bcdedit commands you can try, with mixed results though. There is also a one-time (well, one at a time, really) way to disable the signing check in the F8 menu before windows starts loading. That's probably your best bet to get the drivers/software properly installed. Bottom line is you're going to have issues with older hardware and 64-bit Windows.

I haven't actually tried that before though, so YMMV, and you're on your own. ;)
*Hang on to your wallet!*
BTC E5X5R5BTC-5339R-0 (\'90), MS Natural Keyboard Pro (\'99), Sun Type 5c, 2x 1391401, DASK3ULT (\'08), ABS M1, Dell AT101W, M4-1
FKBN87M/EB (\'09), FKBN87ML/EB (\'09), FKBN87Z/EB (\'09), FKBN87MC/NPEC (\'09), G80-3000LQCDE-2 (\'11)

Offline xyzzy

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 12:05:39 »
Quote from: DrunkenDonut;93891
Bottom line is you're going to have issues with older hardware and 64-bit Windows.
Kensington bundles his MouseWorks software even with trackballs which are still in production, like the Expert Mouse.

They also put a nice "Vista complaint" logo on the box. Too bad they "forgot" to mention it is not compatible with the 64-bit versions.

Offline lam47

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 10 June 2009, 17:58:49 »
I never got this to work very well at all. I don't suppose anyone wants to swap it for something?
Its boxed like new. Slightly discoloured on the top but I plan on cleaning that up.

Offline genegold

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 13 June 2009, 21:14:59 »
Quote from: bigpook;92500
I think they are opto-mechanical. Did it come with a wrist-rest?

The optical is easy to clean with Q-tip and isopropyl alcohol.  I had one for years, until my wrist or elbow or something got tendonitis.  Whoever said lots of turns is right.